Rainbow Lake Trail

Rainbow Lake Trail is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Frisco, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 150 feet Route Type: Loop

My wife and I did this today 6/23 in the snow seeing a couple moose right near the beginning. Thanks to everyone else for mentioning it. a little wet in spots but a beautiful hike none the less.

Beautiful, effortless 1 mile hike with gorgeous lake at the end. Spotted a moose and her baby right at beginning of the trail.

Nice hike and great for our kids (ages 5 and 3). Apparently we just missed out on three moose! Lake view was very pretty. Overall, great short hike to round out a day.

Great trail. Difficult after a rain in tennis shoes. My wife had hiking boots and had no problems. Missed out on seeing a moose. Oh well, overall we both enjoyed this trail and lake view was fantastic.

Great easy hike. Beautiful lake! Quite a bit of foot traffic (and dogs)

Great easy hike with lots of wildlife. Two moose about 100 yards from trailhead. Then saw a bald eagle and beavers at the lake. Gorgeous!

The trail was wet in a few places but easy to find other ways around the mud. When we started our hike we saw 2 moose laying in a clearing and on the way out we saw the same 2 moose walking around and eating.

A few muddy spots, but we finally saw 2 moose in a marshy area to the north of the lake!!

Perfect hike today! Only a couple of muddy spots and we saw moose!

6/5/19- Trail only had a few muddy sections and a little run off, mostly dry and definitely passable with boots and nothing else. We saw two beavers swimming in the lake. This trail is a birder's paradise. Tons of beautiful songbirds, woodpeckers, and hummingbirds. Some butterflies starting to make an appearance too. We made a loop with the Masontown trail and saw some pasqueflowers in full bloom on that side of the trail. Definitely wear bug spray if going after the sun has been up a few hours. It was fine for us, but the bugs were starting to muster after 9 or 10.

Fun hike, nothing too difficult

Great trails to hike with kids. But do not attempt to do this in winter the trail we were first on was very nice but we went onto the Madison Trail and then we got lost because of the snow we kept following cross country skiers pads black cat does kept leading down the trail until he kept falling into holes overall one of my favorite hikes in Colorado very beautiful views and the lake was fantastic!!!

awesome trail with great views. Our boys brought sleds and had a blast sliding down the trails!

Nice easy winter trail but it doesn't compare to the views from other trails in the area.

Beautiful winter trail hike if you’re looking for a nice stroll in the woods. Curious to see what it’s like in the warmer months. Lots of aspens, will definitely be back to the area in the fall next year!

I would like to clarify that this route displayed here is NOT the Rainbow Lake Trail. It is actually the Rainbow Lake Trail, then the Masontown Tail, then cuts off the Masontown trail to Bill's Ranch Trail, then meets back up with the Rainbow Lakes Trail. The actual Rainbow Lakes trail is just an out and back to the lake. Don't get lost people, this is NOT Rainbow Lake Trail ONLY!!!!! There is no loop as part of the trail. It is ONLY OUT AND BACK! You will see trail signs that say this along the way and will not match what AllTrails is saying. This incorrect info as a guide makes me rather irritated as many people get lost and stranded on Mount Royal for not using accurate information about their hikes. Trust me, I live at THE TRAIL HEADS! ALSO: I have suggest an edit of this trail which has not yet been approved. This comment may become irrelevant after edit approval.

Hiked with trail with my husband and two daughters (ages 12 and 9). Saw 4 moose right when we started!!! Trail was easy to hike and the lake is really pretty.

Nice trail that was quick and easy! Most of the aspens has already lost their leaves though. I believe I left a green nalgene water bottle covered in stickers on this trail. If anyone finds it could you please let me know?

Very easy hike. We saw a moose!

Nice trail for families and older adults. Great colors.

Quick and easy! Great when the aspens are changing!

Moose in the lake this afternoon. Trail is rocky and steep in places, especially right before you get to the lake. Our 77 year old patriarch made. Hike now for the best fall colors.

Very easy, kid and tourist friendly hike with a picturesque lake and almost no vertical. Honestly, for me, this is more of a 3-4 star trail for me simply because I prefer hiking with scenic views- however it’s absolutely beautiful right now with the fall colors! I was doing a super fast walk/trail run so I didn’t snap any photos but it’s WORTH IT!

Moose has been seen several times lately but we didn’t see him.

Nice trail. Fairly easy and nice lake view.

We loved this trail. Since we have mostly hiked northeast trails in Acadia and NH we have to go easy due to altitude. We started at the trail head and walked through some wet area on a boardwalk. Headed up hill to the lake and had lunch there. Then continued on mason town trail. It started to rain which was fine wee were prepared. Lovely aspen forest and some wild flowers and brooks. We wound up on the road a little way from parking All in all a great hike. Once again bags of dog poo left on sides of trail. WTF??? have never seen this. Take a zip lock with you to put your poo bags in and take them with you. Jeeze

This trail was beautiful, well maintained and a relatively easy hike with kids. The lake at the end is a perfect spot to relax before looping back.

The hike was lovely. Well-maintained trail. Lake at the end of the trail was gorgeous. I saw a moose up close! I went on a Tuesday evening and saw 5-6 other people. Out and back took me about 40 mins total. Worth it!

Short little simple walk to a small pond. Very crowded, tons of dogs and kids at the top.