Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Rainbow Lake Trail

Rainbow Lake Trail is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Frisco, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great trails to hike with kids. But do not attempt to do this in winter the trail we were first on was very nice but we went onto the Madison Trail and then we got lost because of the snow we kept following cross country skiers pads black cat does kept leading down the trail until he kept falling into holes overall one of my favorite hikes in Colorado very beautiful views and the lake was fantastic!!!

awesome trail with great views. Our boys brought sleds and had a blast sliding down the trails!

Nice easy winter trail but it doesn't compare to the views from other trails in the area.

Beautiful winter trail hike if you’re looking for a nice stroll in the woods. Curious to see what it’s like in the warmer months. Lots of aspens, will definitely be back to the area in the fall next year!

I would like to clarify that this route displayed here is NOT the Rainbow Lake Trail. It is actually the Rainbow Lake Trail, then the Masontown Tail, then cuts off the Masontown trail to Bill's Ranch Trail, then meets back up with the Rainbow Lakes Trail. The actual Rainbow Lakes trail is just an out and back to the lake. Don't get lost people, this is NOT Rainbow Lake Trail ONLY!!!!! There is no loop as part of the trail. It is ONLY OUT AND BACK! You will see trail signs that say this along the way and will not match what AllTrails is saying. This incorrect info as a guide makes me rather irritated as many people get lost and stranded on Mount Royal for not using accurate information about their hikes. Trust me, I live at THE TRAIL HEADS! ALSO: I have suggest an edit of this trail which has not yet been approved. This comment may become irrelevant after edit approval.

Hiked with trail with my husband and two daughters (ages 12 and 9). Saw 4 moose right when we started!!! Trail was easy to hike and the lake is really pretty.

Nice trail that was quick and easy! Most of the aspens has already lost their leaves though. I believe I left a green nalgene water bottle covered in stickers on this trail. If anyone finds it could you please let me know?

Very easy hike. We saw a moose!

Nice trail for families and older adults. Great colors.

Quick and easy! Great when the aspens are changing!

Moose in the lake this afternoon. Trail is rocky and steep in places, especially right before you get to the lake. Our 77 year old patriarch made. Hike now for the best fall colors.

Very easy, kid and tourist friendly hike with a picturesque lake and almost no vertical. Honestly, for me, this is more of a 3-4 star trail for me simply because I prefer hiking with scenic views- however it’s absolutely beautiful right now with the fall colors! I was doing a super fast walk/trail run so I didn’t snap any photos but it’s WORTH IT!

Moose has been seen several times lately but we didn’t see him.

Nice trail. Fairly easy and nice lake view.

We loved this trail. Since we have mostly hiked northeast trails in Acadia and NH we have to go easy due to altitude. We started at the trail head and walked through some wet area on a boardwalk. Headed up hill to the lake and had lunch there. Then continued on mason town trail. It started to rain which was fine wee were prepared. Lovely aspen forest and some wild flowers and brooks. We wound up on the road a little way from parking All in all a great hike. Once again bags of dog poo left on sides of trail. WTF??? have never seen this. Take a zip lock with you to put your poo bags in and take them with you. Jeeze

This trail was beautiful, well maintained and a relatively easy hike with kids. The lake at the end is a perfect spot to relax before looping back.

The hike was lovely. Well-maintained trail. Lake at the end of the trail was gorgeous. I saw a moose up close! I went on a Tuesday evening and saw 5-6 other people. Out and back took me about 40 mins total. Worth it!

Short little simple walk to a small pond. Very crowded, tons of dogs and kids at the top.

A pleasant, easy hike. We went in July and there were wildflowers and beautiful groves of birches. Neither the lake nor views are spectacular compared to other vistas, but it is still lovely to access nature so quickly from downtown. We trekked with kids. Trail isn’t stroller friendly the entire way. Had a few two person lifts up and down short rocky stretches. The lake is a great reward for kids. The trail and lake are fairly exposed and I don’t know that I’d tackle this hike on a hot afternoon.

rock climbing

They should call this dead tree fly trail. most of trail was reasonable as we were covered in flys the whole trail bothering us. scenes were tragic with tons of dead trees cut down, some blocking the trail. maybe after a good fire and 6 years and some maintenance this will be a good trail.

Easy. Beautiful hike to a gorgeous lake. Clear waters. Couple different spots to reach the water if you are willing to walk/cross some streams. Dog friendly. Can get busy. Go early or during the week.

My wife and I just got done hiking this trail. We are from Kansas, so it doesn't take much to flip our fancy. This trail was very pretty, added a touch of difficulty to us new hikers. Beautiful views of the mountains and a few good looks at mountain streams. I would definately do this hike again!

Easy trail located near downtown Frisco. Great for families.

Easy trail, convenient to downtown Frisco. Nice blend of pine forest, aspen groves, streams, wild flowers. lots of wild roses, columbine. nice alpine lake at top of trail. A great hike for families.

Nice short hike. 17+ minutes from the 2nd Ave trail head at a moderate page. Lots of Aspens and Pine trees, brooks and a wooden boardwalk and several wooden bridges. If you want a nice, easy hike, with some beautiful surroundings I would highly recommend it.

Nice trail, kid friendly.

Really beautiful, well-maintained trail! Quite close to town, though I couldn't hear the roads or even noise from the surrounding neighborhoods. Quick & easy; I stopped and hiked this in about 40 minutes on my way to the library!

Nice easy hike. It's definitely easy and not moderate, there's barely any incline. Too much noise from town in the first part and the lake is not very scenic. There are additional trails that can extend this one and that makes it worthwhile.

Trailhead a couple blocks from downtown WTF (welcome to Frisco!) and a really nice boardwalk through a marshy area into the beautiful aspen grove forest very light incline to the hidden lake.