Railroad Bed above Manitou Springs

Railroad Bed above Manitou Springs is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cascade, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rails trails

Hike along a historic railroad bed through tunnels along a canyon After a brief scramble up some loose tallus to the trail this is a fairly level easy hike. This old railroad bed is falling into disrepair and washouts are beginning to take over. Be sure to hike this before it's gone. It is a wonderful path through history following the abandoned railroad bed above Manitou Springs. Along the way you will pass through 5 tunnels and explore the first half of the sixth. The last half of the sixth tunnel is on private property. A cinderblock wall with a gate will prevent you from going too far. A good flashlight is required for this hike. There is a parking lot right off hwy 24 right before it splits to manitou/Colorado Springs. If you miss it just turn around and go right back around on the hwy- it's a huge parking lot with a creek right next to it (legal) parking and short hike to were you start the journey. You even get to see rainbow falls when you are walking on the side of hwy 24 right off the bridge there is 6 tunnels some so big you need a really high powered light to see.

Hello Everyone I was up here March 30th 2017 and it is super easy to access and parking is totally legal if you know we're to park however it is trespassing technically to explore these tunnels but don't be a pussy and just go there is a parking lot right off hwy 24 right before it splits to manitou/Colorado Springs (In 1 Of My Pictures You Can See My Car Where I Parked) if u miss it (like I did) just turn around and go right back around on the hwy it's a huge parking lot with a creek right next to it (legal) parking and short hike to were u start the journey u even get to see rainbow falls when u are walkin on the side of hwy 24 right off the bridge there is 6 tunnels some so big you need a really high powered light to see FYI message me ill take you back there

There's no trail head where this map indicates. There's a TINY spot to pull off, but it's not safe. You can't park across the highway in the median, so there's really no way anymore.

I'm rather bummed as it looks like a cool place to explore, but you can't get to it. At least with the way this describes to get there. All other ways to get up there look illegal.

For those wondering, this trail is not accessible any more through "legal" means.

It used to be possible to park on Highway 24 in the median. This has been changed and it is no longer possible to park there. There are other methods and places to park and access this trail, but you have to be creative and also may risk getting a parking ticket.

This trail was a complete bust. I searched for about 30 minutes for a trailhead of any short near the stated location and there is NONE. There IS a railroad bed a ways up a steep hill, but there's nowhere nearby to park and no trail. This may be a great hike, but this is definitely NOT where you should start.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

This is not a sanctioned trail. It's pretty and has amazing history, but hiking this trail is technically trespassing, so don't expect to see any parking lot or trail maintenance

Saturday, June 11, 2016

After doing some research, we found better instructions to the trail head. It seems the parking area has been closed. Probably due to the Waldo canyon fire that shut the other trails up there down. We're going to try walking in maybe next weekend. I'll post again then

Friday, June 10, 2016

The trail head is not marked. The only possible place it could be is behind a locked gate. Very disappointed

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The parking area listed on the directions in the middle of 24 has no parking signs.

Monday, January 26, 2015

okay? where is the parking lot? i found someplace to park in manitou but want sure if it was the right place. trashy. homeless community. 2 bad! do not go alone!

Monday, June 10, 2013

This was a pretty cool hike. I liked being able to walk through the old rail road tunnels.

Monday, May 20, 2013

Back for another hike at this location, it's become much worse where liter is concerned. I'm not impressed. I can't tell if it's the homeless or if it's more of the fact that hoodlums come up here to party and trash the area. It's unfortunate too because this hike could be very relaxing and enjoyable. Graffiti has also begun to expand through the tunnels. :(

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Incredible trail. Loved it hitting geocaches along the way

Sunday, January 27, 2013

I only gave it one star because I had to in order to rate the hike. The hike is disgusting. The litter takes over the trail and the local "homeless" community seems to have taken it over. Too bad, it could have been cool. Disappointing.

Sunday, December 02, 2012

Sunday, November 04, 2012

This is a short, but fun, hike that offers visitors a chance to walk through history. One of the first hikes I ever went on in Colorado, and I have been back a few times. Usually when someone comes to visit I take them on this one - its pretty simple except for the first part of the trail where you go up a steep/lose rocky climb. It isn't too far, but you will want to brace yourself when you are returning down. Oh, and the other downside is the parking - you have to RUN across Highway 24 in a pretty unsafe area. I would recommend taking a jacket, even on summer days, because the tunnels can be chilly and the area doesn't get much sun. I have never seen a homeless person, but I have seen their belongings and onetime I believe someone was in a tent we passed by. But they are harmless. The only disappointing thing about this trail is that I lost my sunglasses and couldn't find them! LOL. So, if you find some Coach sunglasses (yes, I was hiking in a 3 year old pair of Coach sunglasses) please let me know! ;-)

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Nice, easy hike with great views. The tunnels were very cool to look through and the open spaces were pretty. The trail does have some washed out areas so you really have to watch your footing in a couple places, other than that it's in pretty good shape. We didn't think the hike up to the railroad bed was too bad. We found a couple of the geocaches placed here along the way. All in all it was a good hike and we will be back to do it again.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

this was a fun short hike, the first part hiking up to the old tracks was a little steep, but i went with 4 kids ranging from 6-13, my sister & her friend who don't hike that much & we all got up not a problem . their was a lot to see along the trail & a few geocachs... you are able to see the stream running below the trail, & in a few ares their was still snow on the ground including the trail its self