Raccoon Trail

Raccoon Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Black Hawk, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

Absolutely gorgeous loop leads through fields and forests, beautiful vistas and excellent elevation. There is an old private cabin along the route and an easy trail back to Revends Run Campground.

Great hike today. Perfect conditions, packed snow the entire way!

Great snow covered trail with panoramic vistas. Micro spikes were sufficient.

Beautiful, snow covered forest trail with some open vistas. Hiked this trail on February 4, 2019.

Went to Golden Gate to snowshoe Raccoon Trail yesterday. It was very packed down (only would need microspikes at the most) so we mostly did Mule Deer instead. However great views and a lovely day.

DO NOT TRY TO TAKE GOOGLE MAPS ROUTE WITH MOUNTAIN BASE ROAD IT'S CLOSED! Did half this hike on 1/12/19. Snow packed trail approx 4-8 inches great for snow shoeing but can be done with yak tracks! Did the trail clockwise and there's a pretty decent incline about 1/3rd of the way in. Didn't make it to panaroma point due to starting really late but I would highly recommend and am planning to go back soon!

Did this Christmas Eve morning and had the trail to ourselves. There is trail erosion towards the west end of the loop near Panorama Point from overuse. But rest of trail is in good shape. The ranger told us he saw two moose on the trail earlier that morning. We didn’t but will come again. A lovely state park.

Did Raccoon today from panorama point. Roads were all dry, no 4x4 needed. Not sure the other comment about access roads being closed - this time of year you have to enter from the West public road entrance anyways.
Trail was good. Some packed snow but mostly dry...Didn't need spikes and definitely don't need snowshoes.

Access road is closed as of 12/21

loved it!

This trail starts out at an easy 450 foot slow descent. About 1.6 miles into it, the trail starts to ascend back up about 500-550 feet. Overall, the trail was easy to hike with our family including my son on my back and the slight snow conditions from a week ago that is now compacted into some icy spots. Recommend wearing hiking boots that can grip the snow/ice. Has a couple of great views along with it! The total trail length according to my Garmin watch was about 2.8-2.9 miles. Unfortunately we did not spot any big wild life, only squirrels.

Great hike, not super challenging. The trail was covered in snow 75% of the time, I wore my hiking shoes and did just fine not too slippery. Beautiful view, I throughly enjoyed it!

Great views. Lovely wildflowers. Plenty of spots to stop for rest on the steeper parts. We were at Panorama Point for sunset (driving up) earlier this week and heard a mountain lion snarling!
Keep your dogs on a leash for sure! Also, if you’re going to bag the dog poo, take the bag with you! Leaving the bagged poo defeats the purpose of cleaning up after your pet!

Amazing! I agree to go clockwise like everyone else said. It was a pretty steep incline, but after that it was not bad at all. The views were absolutely stunning.

Good for a local front range trail.. some hard packed snow near panorama.

Gorgeous trail with a variety of different scenery along the way. Breathtaking landscapes, easy to follow, some decent hills to hike.

It had some nice views. We went at the end of October and it was pretty cold so bring jackets. Some snow was off the trail but not on the trail. Not very difficult hike.

If you’re looking for a peaceful hike through a forest with some stunning views of peaks but don’t want to give up a lazy Saturday, this hike is perfect. Not too far from Denver and a good workout!

I agree with going clockwise so then you get the panoramic stopping point to have a snack close to the end.

We hadn’t expected the snow to not have melted (silly Kansan mistake) but the trail was great. We started at the trailhead and walked to panorama point had a snack and walked back. Well marked trail, beautiful views. Took us probably 2.5 hours but we stopped for 20-30 min at panorama point.

Really nice hike. It was a little slick in parts due to snow on the ground...it was so nice in Denver I forgot about the recent snow! The scenery is lovely all along the trial.

good hike and good views. foliage was past its peak, but not the trail's fault!

well blazed and we'll kept

We started the loop at panorama point and went clockwise. We skipped going to the campground and Endomondo clocked us at 2.60 miles. Once you come around the loop it gets fairly steep out if no where, so we may try going counterclockwise next time to have a more gradual incline. The trail is marked really well and maintained. The aspen are really starting to look great right now so come while you can.

Awesome trail, the views when you reach panorama point are amazing. Great place to see the leaves changing in the fall.

We actually went on Sunday! It was gorgeous hike. Fall is here finally, and the foliage was gorgeous!
Fall came a little early this year, so some leaves have fallen, but a beautiful sunny day!!
Good crowd of people out hiking, I would say busy. The trail is wide in most spots, and it doesn’t matter which end you start from, your going downhill and uphill!
Enjoy

Great fall foliage trail but lots of traffic, not one I would suggest if you want to be at alone with nature. Good for dogs and kids. Headed clockwise towards Panorama Point but found epic views shortly before. Parking is limited and a bit confusing, pull in behind the information center to find spots. This will be one of our fall go to spots for a quick and beautiful trail.

Great trail. It took my dogs and I about an hour and a half to complete from the campground. will definitely do it again. It's a plus that the aspens are changing right now!!