Raccoon Trail

Raccoon Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Black Hawk, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

Absolutely gorgeous loop leads through fields and forests, beautiful vistas and excellent elevation. There is an old private cabin along the route and an easy trail back to Revends Run Campground.

Great hike. Lots of shade and nice views. This would be a great hike in the fall as well with all of the aspen! Lovely wildflowers!

Most of the hike in the trees. Better view on the hike than panoramic view (which you are can drive to).

If you are staying at the campground (which we were) the trail is worth the hike. Not sure I would make the drive just for this hike with so many other options in the area.

Wonderful little hike. I went with my 20 y.o. daughter and our 2 dogs. It took us about 1. Hour 40 minutes to do the loop. The old dog did fine, we had to give them water 1/2 way through. Loved the trees, flowers and a couple of pretty viewpoints.
Moderate family traffic on a Thursday.

This is a lovely hike! We started from Reverend’s Ridge campsite but ended up returning from Panorama Point the same way we had gone! It was a bit confusing.

Beautiful hike! Pretty easy. We had some great views and so manybpretty wild flowers. It would be great in the fall too with so many aspen trees.

Great outing, easy access from Denver.

This trail is 3.5 miles when you do the loop from Panorama Point (though the directions here will take you to the campground). I did it on a mid-July weekday and it wasn't too crowded and it was shaded throughout. There are a couple of uphills, but my older dog could handle it without trouble. The wildflowers are gorgeous right now, including the prettiest Columbines I've ever seen. The spectacular views and aspens would make this a worthy trail for your out-of-town guests.

Wonderful views counter clockwise. Incline at the beginning and at the end easy in the middle. Our dogs loved it.

Great hike with beautiful panoramic views. Couple short uphills but not strenuous. Wildflowers are out.

Good hike even in the rain..

Nice loop trail out of Reverands campground. The vistas at Panorama Point allow a great view of many Colorado peaks.

We got there as soon as the park opened so we managed to hike without much traffic. We hopped on at Panorama Point. There is a pretty good incline for a short distance depending on the direction you take the loop but aside from the trail was pretty easy. Mostly shaded and provides a really great view.

Great park with all sorts of trails and historic places.

This trail was amazing. We saw a moose on the way up. There are multiple different landscapes as you walk and the top overlook has an amazing view. We sat down and looked over the hills at the mountains for over 20 min. I would highly recommend this to any level hiker

We loved this trail! We were camping in the park and decided to do this trail as our first of the trip. We got some good advice and took the loop counter-clockwise- this way you have ample shade when you are in the uphill. The opposite side is steeper, rockier, and has less shade, so we were very happy to travel down that side rather than up. We hikes in July so it only did we have great views but also gorgeous wildflowers.

Would have been a much better hike if you weren’t also able to drive to the top.

Great trail. Not too crowded. Beautiful views from Panorama Point.

I like this trail because I was hiking alone with my dog but saw several people along the way. Not so crowded that you’re hiking with people though.
It only took an hour for us to hike the loop so more time in the car than on the trail unfortunately. I would probably call this more of easy-moderate hike. It definitely is not as difficult as many other other “moderate” hikes I’ve done. The views from panorama peak are absolutely gorgeous with the blue sky background. Driving through the park is beautiful too.
Don't forget cash for parking or you will have to drive ALL the way back down to the front of the park and pay at the visitor station!

This is a wonderful trail. The summit (at Panorama Point, which you can also drive to if you don’t want to hike to it) is absolutely breathtaking, with I think 10 14ers visible. The trail itself is super well maintained and well marked. I was beyond charmed by the wildflowers and Aspen trees along the way. The trail itself was marked as 4 miles, but I clocked it at 5- though my dog and I did make it an up-and-back instead of doing the full loop (that was apparently longer). We got stuck in a thunderstorm on the way to the summit and there was enough tree cover to protect us from the worst of the rain.

Parking is limited at the campground center; it was about 12pm on a Friday and I had to do a loop and lucked out when I came back around. There are bathrooms and maps there, and the trailhead is easy to find.

FYI - print or take pictures of your driving directions to and from the park. I had cell service getting there but absolutely no service leaving, and got crazy lost driving out of the park. It made for a beautiful drive, but definitely longer than I planned to have.

Great trail, lots of great views and lots of shade. Bathrooms at the parking lot but no water. $7 fee to get in but worth it!

Love this trail. Mostly shade, some rocks, and there’s an incline but nothing crazy if you’re walking. If you are trail running (what I did), at the start of the loop you have to choose to go left or right. Go right and the rockiest area will be on the incline. Go left and the smoothest area will be on the incline. Took my dog and she had a blast. Beautiful views at the top as well.

I drove from Denver via 46 and came back via 72 and 93. The 46 way is much windier and more narrow. 72 and 93 are much more open, wider curves.

Well maintained Trail with moderate traffic at 11am Saturday in June. Parking was scarce.

Beautiful hike! Nice walk through the forest and was shaded majority of the way. Pretty steep in a couple areas but overall pretty easy.

Great hike with a few steep climbs. Loved how well marked the trail was the entire way. Beautiful views!

Not too easy and not too hard. Has great views, wasn’t crowded, and had a good balance of sunshine and shade.

We went up last Sunday afternoon, and there weren’t a ton of people. The trail was beautiful the whole length, with a mix of aspen and pine. There were a few good inclines, but overall it wasn’t too strenuous. It’s a good one for a quick afternoon hike.

Looked like a good mountain bike trail too.

Really nice trail, beautiful walk through wooded areas with some nice vistas. Maybe two climbs that got the heart pumping but other than that it was a pretty easy trail. We had our two dogs with us too, and the trail wasn’t rocky so it was easy on their paws. We did see some other dogs, all on leash which was nice to see. We’ve had some run ins with off leash dogs on other trails. Sometimes people don’t understand how threatening an off leash dog can be when your dog is leashed (and needs to be or they would chase anything that moved...). We went on Memorial Day. It was overcast with thunder rumbling and light sprinkles, but still loved the hike. The low clouds added a cool ambiance to the hike. Not a lot of people either which was nice, but given its location, I’m sure it was pretty busy over the holiday weekend.

Parking was a bit tricky with it being a holiday weekend but that’s to be expected. Nice trail. Beautiful views. Might have been a bit much for my 10 year old lab but totally worth it!

Nice moderate/easy trail with good views. Dog loved it.

Hiked 5/25. This is a great trail going through a beautiful forest filled with aspen groves. Amazing views at the top! It’s pretty flat but there are definitely parts that are straight uphill that get your heart rate going. All in all, beautiful hike to do on the short side of things that also provides a good work out!