Eagle Wind Trail

Eagle Wind Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hygiene, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Four designated spots for horse trailers. Restrooms available at trail head and picnic facilities. There is also a group shelter that can accommodate 30 people. Trail closes for elk management - check trail status before you plan your trip.

Nice hike for a Saturday afternoon that's close to town. Not a whole ton of shade but some nice benches if you need to rest. Lots of pretty wildflowers and scenery. While easy it is a decent distance. Would definitely take some out of towners here!

This is a nice easy hike. Good for kids.

Easy beautiful hike just outside of town. I do this hike all the time.

Fairly easy trail with great views. I took a detour up the rocky hill of the Little Thompson Overlook Trail and hiked back down onto Eagle Wind for an added challenge. This ended up being a 5.8 mile hike. We saw a lot of deer today (4/19/18).

Myself, my wife, dog and 10 y/o hiking machine
Enjoyed this trail on a warm Sunday afternoon.
The 0.5 mile from the parking lot to the beginning of the loop was flat, steep and honestly not that interesting. Once on the loop the trail and terrain
Became way more interesting. The constant sound of birds and ever changing views made this a very enjoyable loop. There are a few benches
and plenty of natural seats where you can sit and rest or snack. We are huge wildlife enthusiasts and we were rewarded with sightings of vultures, hawks, ravens, rabbits and about 12 mule deer.
This is a very good option for anyone wanting a remote hike without driving to far or being too challenged. We used this for practice for our Grand Teton/Yellowstone trip but we were so impressed we will be back.

Easy trail. I went clockwise around. Only one other person on the trail. Wind was super crazy today, I had to brace myself a few times. I did get to hang out with some deer. I enjoyed myself.

I enjoy taking my dogs here; 5 stars when it’s not super busy. Pretty views.

I’m a beginner and had no trouble. Excellent mountain views.

This is a great place for an easy winter hike. It offers nice views and is not very steep. It is a popular place on the weekends with several dog walkers and the like. Nice sunset too. For pics and more details: https://etbtravelphotography.com/2018/01/16/roadtrip-to-the-rockies-ron-stewart-preserve/

This has long been my favorite close-to-home trail. You almost never completely lose sight of town/civilization but other than that, it feels fairly wild considering. This is a research area for rattlers because there are so many here so be careful with your pooch and keep your ears open at all times. Going clockwise keeps the cities more out of view. Great trail on foot or on bike.

We’ve done this trail several times on foot. First time on a bike today. Definitely some tougher spots for a beginner but overhaul great trail! Seen wildlife every time we do this one!

I like this trail because it is a quick run, fairly varied terrain, and the views are nice.

It’s actually only closed Monday through Wednesday for elk management

This trail is closed from Sept to Jan for elk management. found out three days ago when I showed up and the signs were out.

One of our favorites close to home.

I brought my Yorky Pooh along this hike. We were able to do it without any problems. My only issue was the trails weren’t marked very well along the path. The service road intersected a few times and I had a guess if I was going the right way.

What a difference one day makes! Beautiful calm day with the beautiful snow-capped mountain view. This time we took the Eagle Wind Trail and cheated a bit by talking the road. The interpretative posts were very interesting, and I always appreciate the descriptions/names of mountains that are in front of you. The views were gorgeous. I had to turn back as we started out late. Will have to go back to complete the trail.

Great overlook at the top, definitely worth the effort

Good views on a clear day. Relatively easy once you get to the trail; most of the elevation change is between the parking area and the point where Eagle Wind splits from the other trail.

Nice trail for families with young kiddos. Really easy to get around all the trails, but no water anywhere so pack some if you bring your dog.

Nice easy trail near Lyons-Good view of m
Meeker-Longs Peak. Not a lot of shade

Fun short hike. A bull snake jumped right out in front of us. Great panoramic views the opposite of what you see from Chautauqua.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Short and easy

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Nice stroll up and around a hill looking over the flat front range giving great views of the foothills and closest rocky mountains.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Friday, May 05, 2017

Lots of loose rock. Ok views (rock quarry kinda ruins it for me). Static scenery. But get a few stars for excitement cause I saw my first rattlesnake.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

I loved this hike. It's very easy with not too much incline, and there's usually not many people there, especially on the weekdays. Lots of wildflowers, lichen, and birds. (A wild turkey joined me on my hike for about a hundred feet!) Just make sure to go on a cooler/cloudy day, as there aren't many trees and it can get really hot.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Very nice, beautiful views, not a lot of traffic, nice and quiet.