Rabbit Ears Peak Trail

Rabbit Ears Peak Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Steamboat Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 974 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please note: road to trailhead may close seasonally. Please research prior to your visit.

Hiked this trail on 10/13 with my 17 month old in her baby carrier. The trail was relatively easy the first two miles but was challenging the last mile. I would recommend hiking poles or a walking stick for the descent. I didn’t feel very comfortable going down with my daughter so I went down on my hands and bottom for safety.

Did this 10-6-19. Started at 9am- chilly- but were the third people on the trail. As other reviews have said, only the last half mile or so is difficult. Highly recommend hiking poles for that part. The other 2 miles are fairly simple with a road. only wildlife was a coyote but seems like would be prime habitat. beautiful scenery.

Good hike, good views especially with the leaves turning.

good walking trail but would've been even better in our jeep!

This hike was seriously a challenge. I would probably list it as hard due to the elevation gain and the serious incline at the end. We went with my 7 year old daughter and my husband was carrying my 2 year old son in the hiking backpack. Going down was almost as hard as going up! My daughter ended up sliding many times and falling but in the end she persevered! Due to the length of the hike and steep areas, I would use caution when choosing this one!

Tough for the last few hundred yards, but totally worth it. Go on a cool day or start early and take your time, if you're feeling out of shape, or out of your element (high elevation), or are pregnant (like me).

We loved this trail! A fit dad carried the 2 year old. Pregnant mom and Mimi took it slower. We all made it to the base of Rabbit Ears. Dad scrambled on the rock formations. Beautiful views.

super epic hike, views and vibes rock! felt like walking through wonderland on the way up. easy scramble at the top.

Good trail. Essentially a dirt road the whole way except for the last scramble up to the pass. Spots of shade along the way, use it to your advantage during breaks. Otherwise blazing sun.

Was cool to see a sheep herd and sheep dogs!

recorded Rabbit Ears Peak Trail

SO MANY WILDFLOWERS! Lots of open fields with so many colors which means lots of sun exposure. Def steep and slippery at the end but only for a short period of time. Great views at the top. Can see all the way to Wyoming. We camped off the trail which is why my mileage is shorter. Really pretty and highly recommend.

A beautiful hike with fields of wild flowers at every turn, just gorgeous! Trail is shared with motorized vehicles, but I only encountered one. Views of surrounding mountain ranges are lovely on a clear day. The top bit is pretty steep and sandy. Would recommend a walking stick both for the trek up, and the slippery trek down.

Beautiful trail with so many wildflowers. The top gets tricky with loose soil. Don’t wear chacos!

This is a nice moderate hike that goes through some periods of shade and has many fields of wildflowers. The downside is that you are on a road the whole time. The trail is multi-use for hikers and all terrain vehicles. We saw many other hikers and 1 all terrain vehicle on the trail. About 500 feet from the top is gets steep and is all volcanic rock - very slippery especially going back down. That said the views are beautiful and it’s a nice fairly quick hike.

The trail is pretty nice lots of flowers along the trail, and the view from the pick is amazing. The last mile is pretty tough but worth it.

Awesome hike and view. Last 500 ft of trail is 200 Ft (approx) of elevation. Hard slog, but worth it! Recommend hiking sticks for balance on last bit at least.

We were surrounded by wildflowers for the entire hike! It was absolutely gorgeous.

Weather conditions were excellent today. We began our trek around 8:30 a.m. Saw a couple of hikers along the way. On our way back the trail became more crowded. Still a gorgeous hike with plenty of wild flowers and breathtaking vistas! Highly recommend it! Wear plenty of sun and bug protection.

This is a great quick run! The wildflowers are poppin' right now. It is a road the whole way, so watch out for off road vehicles, but pretty views the whole time especially at the top. The ears are a beautiful piece of rock. From the parking lot, you can also take a trail to the lake which is only a half mile away and definitely worth it. That trail keeps going past the lake and you can do a loop in the backcountry behind it and end up back at the parking lot. I will be back to explore that loop, hopefully soon!

Awesome hike! Wildflowers everywhere! Fairly wide gradual uphill until the end, which is a pretty steep hike followed by some scrambling up the “ears” for a stunning 360 view!

Awesome view from the top! Fairly steep in some places so bring appropriate shoes.

Kick Ass Trail!

Easy walking trail beat down by occasional 4x4 vehicles. a bit buggy so bring the spray Hiked with the family that included a 9 year old. Wild flowers were beautiful and the view from the top is worth it.