Quartz Lake Trail

Quartz Lake Trail is a 8.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pagosa Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until September.

Trailhead is Little Blanco Trail 572. Gorgeous views! Lots of uphill. Once through the notch, the scenery changes and it is a 500ft descent to the lake. We went during monsoon season, nasty weather rolled in quick on our way out. Virtually no trees for the 2 miles from the lake to the notch and down the other side of the slope, watch out for those storms.
I'd do this hike again as an out and back, but only go as far as the moonscape and pond that is just on the other side of the notch. The views are worth going that far. I'd do the lake as an overnighter. Lake has beautiful fish too!! Bring a fly rod, they seem to like the topwater stuff (they turned down worms).
We clocked 12.5 miles there and back, Trailhead at 9,960ft, notch at 12,080ft, lake at 11,540ft.
Favorite hike so far.

So beautiful! Keep in mind weather can come in from any direction and once you're down at the lake there's some exposed uphill hiking to get back. Go early it's worth it and it's nice and cool, too. My favorite hike for sure!

Go early before the monsoons if you go in July. Wild flowers are incredible this time of year! And be prepared for adverse weather- it can roll in quick!

Monday, September 05, 2016

A very good hike with a diverse scenery. Lots of cool wild life too. I would not say that this is a hard hike. My girlfriend, our 2 dogs, the Pomeranian and I did it in 4 1/2 hours an even had a nice lunch up at the lake. The trail head is marked as Little Blanco.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

This was my first backpacking trip. I went with my ex who is an experienced backpacker/survival guide. It was extremely challenging. I did injure myself on this trip (my own fault). When we were in sight of the lake, I got off the trail, slipped on some loose gravel, and went down deeply cutting my knee (so be careful!). Good thing we had a good first-aid kit. We ended up staying and camping out that night since we had worked so hard to get there. Beautiful lake. Not a lot of loose firewood. Definitely not for beginners. We had a herd of elk come through our campsite that night.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016