Quandary Peak Trail

HARD 1947 reviews

Quandary Peak Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 3,339 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note this is a difficult, but rewarding hike. Please prepare before embarking on this hike to the peak which is at 14,265 ft elevation. Though challenging, this is a popular and doable, heavily trafficked route. Because of that, the best and up-to-date information can be seen the reviews from users who have just traveled this route. Quandary's east ridge route gets very crowded on summer weekends.

Great packed down trail for most of it. Spikes were fine most of the way but glad we carried snowshoes just in case. Some post holing just above tree line. Got pretty windy but blue skies were nice.

gorgeous views, single digit temps, snowshoes recommended above treeline. took us 3 hours to get to the top of the saddle, so we opted to turn back there. still an epic hike, my first winter 14er. bring hand warmers and lots of layers.

spikes the whole way

icy

Great experience, one of the most difficult hikes we have done. We did not make it to the top only due to not being fully prepared for 2 foot deep snow and some areas deeper when creating our own trail. We came up after the snow on the 23rd of November. We got up to around 13,000 feet and turned back due to it getting later and the slow pace with us stepping in deep snow and sliding and falling often. Need snow shoes and or large long spike crampons to get up easier. Want to come back and attempt next year or sometime in the future. Walking sticks would have been very helpful too!

icy

Tough to hike this time of year with the trail conditions changing every few hundred yards. Rocky, muddy, packed snow, deep snow, ice... You’ll get it all this time of year. I’m new to winter hiking but found out the hard way that goats get mean during mating season. Came up on a large pack and they were challenging us, maintaining eye contact, and aggressively getting closer while getting ready to charge us. We sat off trail with bear spray out and waited for them to pass.

icy

This is my first 14er, brought my kids with and one of them who is 12 years old made it to the summit with me. Very difficult one for sure because it’s just straight up, but rewarding in the end! I will definitely come back again. We hiked it on the 11/09/19

Great hike, there was some snow on the trail but still doable! Started around 630am so the snow was still hard, on our way down it was a slushy mess. I will come back in the summer!

Awesome, but difficult hike.

icy

First 14er! Hiked on 11/9/2019. Beautiful day - sunny and very little wind. Found the last mile to be very challenging. Pretty steep and consistent grade and the altitude took its toll on my sea-level lungs, but we pushed through and made it to the summit for some incredible views! Definitely glad to have brought microspikes, I don't know that we would not have wanted to do this hike without. Bonus treat on this trip was a cameo from a curious fox and spotting some mountain goats from a far. Great trip couldn't have asked for more!

icy

Incredible. One of my favorites in this part of CO. Make sure to make it to the actual summit, the views are amazing and worth every step. As of November, definitely bring microspikes!