Quandary Peak Trail

Quandary Peak Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

ice climbing

rock climbing

skiing

snowboarding

Quandary's east ridge route gets very crowded on summer weekends.

3 minutes ago

Nice hike, very busy on wknd, 3400 ft elevation and still snow at top, see pics,... 9 yr old youngest and 46 oldest in our group of 8,... beautiful views of mosquito range and 14ers near Alma, Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln and Bross. Air was thin and bring sunscreen as burn is quick:). After tree line, full exposure for a while of hike yet. Happy Trails!

1 hour ago

This is what most reviews indicate. Today was beautiful. There was no snow to speak of until after the tree line. The trail was well marked. However you do get to a point in the last mile where the trail can be harder to follow with the snow everywhere and covering the trail. I am 39 and started the trail with a group of 8 including a 9 and 11 year old boys. I started the trail head at 6:15 and reached the summit at 8:50. That was with a lot of stopping to take pictures and change layers of clothing as needed. 2 of the people in my part suffered from elevation sickness. One of the boys was vomiting at the summit. They were from Phoenix and Albuquerque. Overall the hike was spectacular with amazing views. If you start early be prepared. Temperatures varied greatly from the start to the top.

A great 14er to start with. If your in good shape should take you about 2:30hr to make the summit.

Beautiful views the entire way (and absolutely breathtaking at the top). This was my first 14er and while very challenging (the steep ascent/descent is no joke) it was doable and an incredible experience overall. Got there just after 4:30 am and there were only a few other cars in the lot. The hike didn't feel over-crowded at all (I had been concerned about going on a Saturday) and the few people I did run into were very encouraging and motivating. Round-trip took me just about 5 hours (with stopping to spend some time/take pictures at the summit)

Great day yesterday, some snow near the top but sun had softened it up a bit.

The trail was extremely well marked. There were some snow patches once the trail goes past the tree line, but my micro spikes never left my bag. Would recommend trekking poles. Also the parking lot is extremely small, but had no trouble finding a spot around 4:30am. The last mile was the most challenging because of how steep it was and the wind. Great start to the season

My first 14er. Absolutely loved the breathtaking views. Would have loved to have reached the summit but had a some serious vertigo issues once we did more hiking in the snow. Made it to 12,900 before calling it and heading down. Goal for my next one...summit!

This was our first big hike and it was amazing! Had a lot of fun challenging ourselves to the top, but the views were worth it!

Incredible hike! We started at 7:15 AM and we're at the summit around 11:30. The last bit was very snowy. We had spikes which made it much easier. Having poles would've made a huge difference as well. Even without that equipment it had been hiking enough are used other people's footsteps as your guide. We were back at our car at 2:30 PM

Hiked Quandary this morning. Started at 6:30am and took the last spot in the lot! I'm from the Midwest and not in great shape so we reached the summit 11:30 and back to our car at 3:00. We used microspikes, gaiters (super helpful on the way down) and trekking poles (also very helpful on the way down!) Many people did the trail with none of these things are were just fine. I think we would have been too. It was VERY windy once past the tree line which made it more difficult. Most of the snow is in the last stretch of the hike, which was a very difficult part of the hike. Views from the top are amazing!! Easy to find the trailhead! Would definitely recommend this trail for an easier 14er!

Awesome trail with great views! Enough people hiking this trail for it to be pretty doable even with the snow at the top. Lots of exposure don't forget your sunscreen!