Quandary Peak Trail

Quandary Peak Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

ice climbing

rock climbing

skiing

snowboarding

Quandary's east ridge route gets very crowded on summer weekends.

First 14er! Not going to lie, this was very strenuous for me, and while I'm athletic, I don't think I trained enough. We picked this because of the distance to our condo + mileage. Let's just say that what lacks in # of miles is made up in steepness. I got pretty dizzy and nauseous as points. But in all, if I was able to finish it, so can you. And finishing felt so accomplishing.

Epic views but challenging. I am scared of heights so I only made it to 13,600 ft. My husband continued to the top. The last half mile is grueling. Saw quite a few mountain goats on the trail, we just scooted off to the side and let them have it. The majority of the hike is above tree line so there is no shelter from the elements. Bring layers, more food and water than you think you need, sturdy hiking boots (much of the hike is on rocks), sunscreen and determination and you will have a great day. Took us 5 hours but we were taking our time.

Epic hike. But its' more like 9 miles r/t .. I have NO idea where they got 6 !!!?!! Took us 5 up, and 3 down, but that'cuz we were slow

Tough hike due to elevation gain and rocks, but worth every step. First 14er! Gorgeous views!!

Oh Quandary Peak. This was my first 14er but I have done a lot of strenuous hikes throughout the mountains so I felt right at home. I started at 5:50 this morning, the trailhead was somewhat filled. Chilly morning but once you got moving it wasn't bad. The trail is easy to follow all the way up. The trail is rocky (as expected) watch your steps! Once I had reached the last 1,100 feet to the summit (perhaps the hardest part) it got windy and cold. Bring gloves! Once at the top the views will make everything better! You can see for miles! Everyone on the trail was friendly and helpful, followed trail etiquette. I was back to my ride at 11:30. Great day! For me, it's one down and 52 to go but this trail was awesome and definitely challenging!

Great little hike. I'd call it moderate. Picked a weekday to avoid crowds. Start time 728am finish time 1049am. Went down and did McCullough gulch trail afterward which I'd highly recommend!

Great Hike! We started as big family group of 12. 4 went ahead. Eventually there were 7 of us. I was with my 11 yr old daughter who did not want to go to Summit.
We started at 5:30am. Reached first mini peak at end or rocks at 8:40. It was at 13,175 feet according to my phone. We were down by 10:40.

The views were beautiful. Started the hike at 6:20am. When we arrived to the trailhead at 6:10am there were about 15 other cars parked in the lot. Small parking lot. Later, other hikers parked along the road. Started the hike wearing Columbia hiking pants, dry fit undershirt, and short sleeve Magellan shirt. The trail starts off with a steep incline. More moderate incline on the dirt path in the middle. Steep, rocky scramble from mile 3.5 to 5.5. Scramble at the top. Rated the hike as difficult because of the altitude. Took multiple breaks during the final mile. 3 hours up. 1.5 hours down. Drank 0.5 liters of water on the way up. Drank 1 liter of Gatorade on the hike down the mountain. Did not eat anything during the hike. Had a small breakfast burrito and chocolate milk before the hike. Saw mountain goats around mile 4.5. They were friendly and unconcerned by the hikers.

This is for all, but directed to those of us in our 50's +. I am 55 and in good health. I have lived in Colorado since 1975, and this hike is not something to try on a whim. Have the proper gear, allow yourself the time and do your homework on preparing yourself, particularly if your a visitor.
I did this hike yesterday Saturday, August 12th, as only my second 14er and my first Solo. The parking lots were full at 6:15 am when I arrived ( sunrise ) and myself and the many others arriving began lining the road. It was a non issue. Hit the trail 6:30 with the temperature 39 degrees. By the time I reached Timberline I had shed my base layers and moved forward. The trail was crowded but I was impressed with courteousness of all my fellow hikers to pause and give way as needed for those at a faster pace and those already returning from the summit. I Summited in exactly 4 hours. It was windy and cool but the excitement and jubilation from the 20 or so total strangers taking photos and congratulating one another was just Awesome!!! After a quick 15 minute break for a peanut butter & honey sandwich and hydration I began my descent. I arrived at my Truck 2.5 hours later, at 1:15pm. It was 6:45 minutes of complete bliss that I had never experienced before. This trek gave me the self awareness of what my body needed and when in order to successfully Summit and return without exhaustion or injury. The confidence in my abilities to not only complete the hike, but to control the hike, will serve me from this point forward.
With You On The Journey!