Purgatory Trail

Purgatory Trail is a 7.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Durango, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

2014 feet

This trail is used for Camping. Heads down on Switchbacks, in to the forest. Opens up in Purgatory Flats area on Cascade Creek. A rest stop for main camp site, then from there you cam hike different trails.

Loved this trail. Kid friendly (our 3.5 year old mainly rode in the carrier). Pretty views, pretty aspens. Rocky terrain, but not too bad.

Trail drops down 1000 ft into a valley with a beautiful stream. Walk along the stream for about a mile or two through a beautiful meadow. However, it then takes you up about 500 ft and doesn't seem to return to the water, though some cool overlooks along the way. The estimated distance was 5 miles, but the trail goes quite a ways beyond what is marked on alltrails. It was an 8 mile round trip for me via my apple watch and I didn't even go to the end of the trail. Would recommend stopping shortly after you leave the meadow. Wear pants because of the brush and bring backup bug spray depending on time of year and time of day.

Amazing views. Hikes through Birch tree groves. The river is spectacular and wild raspberries are your reward if you go all the way to the end of the trail (according to this map).

This is a wonderful trail with a little bit of everything on it (flat, dirt, rocky, step, views, trees, flowers, etc). It is definitely not "easy" so proper shoes and clothing are needed (cannot believe what I saw people wearing and no water on them). We hiked all the way to the Animas River where the Cascade Creek runs into it. There is a bridge that crosses and a handful of camp areas, some with picnic tables. More trails on the other side of the Animas River. Google maps said this was 7.4 miles roundtrip.

My husband and I did one overnight backpacking trip on 6-17-17. It was very hot both days, but at least we didn't need rain gear. We started at Purg flats trailhead and hiked 5.4 miles ( see Strava photo) to our campsite near the footbridge/ Animas river / cascade stop of the Durango Silverton train. We had the entire place to ourselves! The river was gorgeous and flowing with the start of mountain snowmelt. I will never forget the beauty and peace of the morning sun glistening on the Animas River ( see photo) .

Brought our family to hike this trail today, ages 8 to 70, It was a nice hike down. The hike up wasn't to hard, especially if you take it slow. We're not avid hikers and are a bit out of shape, and we hiked down 1.6 miles in about an hour. Oddly, it took us less time to travel back up. Things to think about if I hike this trail again is to bring more than one bottle of water, and also to bring insect repellant which is something I don't have to usually worry about much when hiking in Albuquerque.