Ptarmigan Peak Loop

Ptarmigan Peak Loop is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Silverthorne, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and bird watching and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.4 miles Elevation Gain: 3,497 feet Route Type: Loop

I went clockwise like recommended on previous post and the way up and the view from the top were amazing! I really enjoyed it. However, I didn’t like the way down on this loop. It was really steep and there were lots of down trees so the trail was exposed and hot. I also clocked it as just over 11 miles. If I was to do it again or recommend it to someone, I would go back the same way I came up. Even though it would add some mileage, I think it would be better.

Good Hike. Hot at the bottom. Cold and rainy up top. views are great from the top. Did the trail fork closest to interstate on way down. It is shorter but not as good. Steeper and trail is overgrown somewhat. Recommend stay on the main route.

We did the trail to the peak and came back on the same side. Steep at the outset, moderate through the trees and easy footing through alpine meadow to the top

As the reviewer below said, you want to do this loop clockwise, otherwirse the SE trail will kick it. Started early and the views were great. Met a momma moose with calf, so definately keep your eyes open. Got to the top and the views were spectacular. Only saw 4 people on the way up, but 10 on horseback on the way down (almost finished) so all in all a great time was had by me and the dog.

Very pleasant hybrid loop trail. We hiked clockwise, which I recommend as the grade is calmer on the way up versus the alternate spur which is fast and steep coming down. The left-hand spur has a calmer grade, more traveled as it links up with another trail and has beautiful views of the gore range. The right-hand spur is much less traveled, steeper, and less pretty with more downed trees that you need to navigate around but ~1 mile shorter if you want a quicker descent. Saw 2 ptarmigan birds along the trail! Beautiful wildflowers!

Friday, July 13, 2018