Ptarmigan Lake Trail

Ptarmigan Lake Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nathrop, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

Road leading to the trail is closed 2.4 miles before the trailhead.

Great trail. Good for a quick easy backpacking trip.

Absolutely love this trail! Beautiful views pretty much everywhere. Aspens and bushes are changing colors. Keep going past that first lake to Ptarmigan lake at the top.

The road west of the trail is closed, but access to the east from BV is open. Plenty of parking on the road near the trailhead, even though we got there relatively late in the day. Pretty much the definition of a moderate hike. The trail wasn't heavily populated. Views up top were incredible...14ers everywhere you look, mountain lakes, you name it.

my dogs loved this trail. beautiful.

I am a bit out of shape, so the trail was a bit challenging for me. I'm so glad I completed it. The views were so worth the work!

Great hike in beautiful area. Mountain lakes are so nice and this is a steady easy climb. Do not miss turn at lower lake.....bear right after lower lake that is on the right...several were searching for trail to upper lake...Ptarmigan.

This is a great hike with easy elevation. I had it measured as 6.2 miles. My wife and I never felt challenged enjoyed a nice steady pace.

Such a great hike! Beautiful views, gradual climb making it doable to many! Get an early start to avoid the crowds and storms.

Awesome hike! Loved everything about this hike! The trail was great and easy to follow. The views are spectacular. The lake is large, beautiful, and full of fish! We started early so we saw no one until up at the lake. On our return we ran into numerous hikers! Trailhead parking lot is small so many park out by the road! Highly recommend this hike! The wild flowers were spectacular!

off road driving

Great hike with a spectacular amphitheater at the end. Pretty easy, even for a couple of 70+