Pitkin Lake Trail

Pitkin Lake Trail is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

My favorite hike that we did this week! It was so interesting, we kept moving through different terrains. There was a fair amount of incline but just take your time. The views were amazing the whole way. You can hear noise from the highway for the first little bit of the trail but it quickly fades away. Bring layers. It was quite chilly at the top. Lots of wildflowers when we went.

Fantastic hike. Absolutely amazing lake at the end. I would recommend waterproof boots or shoes because there are several streams to cross add some are a bit marshy.

Hiked on July 31st. Encountered a BLACK BEAR on the middle portion of the trail at 7:30pm. Had to bushwhack around to avoid it. Awesome views at the lake, nice challenging trail.

This trail is NOT 8.5 miles. It's a bit over 11 there and back. It's also a gain of almost 5000 NOT 2900.

One of my favorite hikes in the area. first half mile or so is rough, but power through that and it will mellow out much more. it was about 5-6 hour return at a steady pace. plan more time if you want to take lots of pictures.

as of 7/28/17 wildflowers are beautiful in all the medows !! spent 2 hours at the lake having lunch and relaxing. absolutely beautiful day. DON'T FORGET BUG SPRAY! we did and the mosquitos were pretty bad.

Beautiful, long hike for my level. Lots of variety in the hiking terrain. Saw lots of different creatures, including two snakes. When I got to the lake, you could see the trout the water was so clear. It was a hot day yesterday so quite a workout. I highly recommend this hike.

Beautiful hike, first section is a little steep but after that it's pretty mellow the rest of the way to the lake. A couple nice waterfalls along the way.It was a pretty rainy day when my daughter and I went but it was still a great day. Rain or shine I would recommend. Lots of wild flowers as well

This was an absolutely beautiful hike. It's definitely a good difficult one too. It's a decent incline the whole way up and much faster going down. It still took me and a friend about 7 hours. That's with stopping for lots of pictures and about 20 minutes uo at the lake. Wouldn't say it's that difficult but a good long workout. The lake was still partially covered in ice and this was early July.