Pinewood Lake Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Loveland, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Includes Besant Point Trail (2.6 miles) and Shoshone Trail (1.5 miles). Besant Point Trail includes two wheelchair-accessible segments at either end. Requires Larimer County vehicle permit.

Nice views.
Scenic drive. The trail dead ends at South end of lake so you must back track or complete a loop around the lake which isn’t very scenic.
Heads up: A $14 park pass is required to park in the parking lot. You must purchase the pass at the park office which is about 10 minute drive from the parking lot, and easy to miss. Not worth it since there are so many other free, beautiful hikes around.

Hi! I took my dog and my friend/ her dog on this trail this morning… It is very easy with a few elevations, and very pleasant! We did the entire loop in about two hours or less. It is very well marked, which is very important. There are numbers around the trail head and they show you where you are in relation to the map. I highly recommend this trail for a semi-easy nature jaunt. There weren’t very many people there as well!

Went earlier in the summer and saw a lot of birds and a snake.

It was a little dried up but still a nice easy walk for my pups. They loved it!

Very pretty drive from Fort Collins to this great, dog-friendly trail. Nice breeze , wild flowers, birds singing, some people fishing, couple paddle-boarding...a few hikers made a really nice Sunday outing. I’ll definitely go again.

Easy, yet very enjoyable hike! Great trail to bring my dog on, she loved it! Would definitely be great for all types of activities! Will be making a trip back soon!

Beautiful landscape. Saw some early spring wildflowers, birds, people catching fish.

Very nice trail with beautiful views from higher up trail.

Super easy trail my dog and I really enjoyed it! The fishermen’s cave I believe it was called that was very cool. Horses would love this trail.

Nice easy run, I went Feb 17th,2018 and it was muddy in some spots. Pretty windy in the open space towards the end of the loop trail. Dogs are allowed on a leash so I’ll be back with the pupper once the trail dries up.

Nice hike for all ages. The reservoir is very low at the moment, so the stretch around the lake during the last half is not as visually appealing. Stll, the first half loop through the trees is worth it, and you can simply do the loop by the dam and still have a great day.

Monday, November 20, 2017

Beautiful lake. Before heading up to the lake make sure you buy a day pass, we were uninformed and had to drive back down to buy our pass. We went November 19th 2017 the trail in some places was muddy. I will definitely be going again.

Monday, October 23, 2017

Great trail had a great time with the family the lower part of the trail if a green for sure but the upper part is a upper end blue ether way you go on a bike

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Today I went, vegetation is narrowing some parts of the single track trail. Sounds of Magpies and Red-Winged Blackbirds. A pair of Osprey at the nest located at the South end. And Swallows were feeding their young beside the trail at the Southend. Peaceful. Saw only one couple the entire route which I rode on a Mountain Bike.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

hiked it Sunday...was a good, easy little trail.

Monday, April 24, 2017

This was a nice easy hike. Most of it doesn't have shade or trees. Recommend either mornings, or cooler days. Dogs are allowed on leash.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Sunday, October 09, 2016

I took really long and strenuous hike's in Estes Park all week so I was looking for something easy and relaxing. Happy I found this spot.

It's a really easy, relatively short route. I sat next to the Lake towards the end and read a book and just enjoyed the scenery.

Be Advised: You will need a one day parking permit which will cost you 7$.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Beautiful day - loved the variety of plants and birds, smell of pine. quiet and peaceful - although dozens of people were on the reservoir fishing, kayaking, and paddle boarding, I didn't encounter a single person on the trail. the first portion on the Shoshone trail is moderately strenuous uphill, but after that things planned out around the reservoir. Great place to stretch your legs, enjoy the scenery, and fill your senses

Monday, July 18, 2016

it's a nice trail for horses, but it is short. there is a long wooden bridge over wetlands that I get off the horse and walk

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Easy trail for young children walking with us. Lots of beautiful flowers and butterflies. Deer flies were a bit bothersome down by the water. We only encountered one couple on the Shoshone Trail. Be sure to buy your day pass down at CR 31 North Entrance Station. Next time we will pack our fishing poles and stay the day.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Very beautiful and quiet, more fishers than anything though.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Pretty hike

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Easy hike for cooler days (would be hot in summer). There's a little climb with some shade on the Shoshone Trail otherwise it's just a long loop around the reservoir. Took just about two and a half hours including drive time from my home in Loveland.

Sunday, January 17, 2016

I didn't know this was here but it's a great little hike. The trail map doesn't show it but there is a small trail that follows the road between both trail heads, so you can actually hike all the way around the lake and stay on the path the whole time.

Friday, December 20, 2013

Took my two-year-old for a short hike on a warm day up in the snow. This is a nice area and a nice easy trail. The trail is well marked and maintained. There's a nice rocky point just off the Shoshone trail with a nice view. We were there on a somewhat windy day, but once we made it over the dam the wind was not a problem. Permits are available up the road at Flatiron Reservoir. Great hike for a family with small kids!