Learn more

Pikes Peak via Barr Trail is a 24 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Manitou Springs, Colorado that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 24.0 mi Elevation gain 7,401 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (1)
Facilities
Tips
Getting There

The trail is wide and very accessible from the ascension and descension standpoint. The last mile is the hardest and takes a lot of stamina to conquer the final walk across the boulder field. $10/day parking fee.

The lot fills up early and I believe it is $1.00 per hour.

Recommendations: 1) Do not attempt unless you are an experienced hiker. 2) Get to the parking lot at the trailhead early to get a spot. It fills up fast. Use the Parkmobile app to pay for parking once you get there. 3) Bring LOTS of water & drink often. Highly recommend a water filter. You will need at least 1-2 liters per mile. 4) Bring hiking poles. 5) Recommend purchasing a round trip railway ticket in advance (they now charge you full price to go down - unless you wait until the last train, which leaves at 7:20pm). If you purchase a ticket in advance, you are at least guaranteed a seat down. If the trains are already full, you can't ride. Another option is to hitchhike - which it seemed many tourists were happy to help (though one cannot bank on this option). 6) Have enough protein and carbs to sustain you. 7) Wear a lot of sunscreen.

From Colorado Springs take 24 east into Manitou Springs, make a left at the circle onto Ruxton Ave and take it to the end where you turn right up a steep street to the trail parking lot. Get there early before the spots fill up, and have a credit card to pay for parking.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (704)
Photos (989)
Recordings (453)
Completed (2118)
Megan Springer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 09 2020

Took me right around 7 hours to reach summit. Stopped often to take in the views though. I came from iowa 3 days ago and the altitude change didn't affect me a ton. The mile detour due to construction at the top was soul crushing and awful. Really....the construction makes being at the summit unenjoyable after what was an awesome hike

Elizabeth Rogers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 05 2020
HikingRocky

Put this on your bucket list for sure!! My friend & I are XC runners from Missouri so we are aerobically fit but the trail definitely takes a toll on your muscles! We hiked/ran up & down Barr trail. It took us about 4 hours & 47 minutes to summit. Be sure to hydrate really well the entire week prior, carbload too, & make sure to be snacking & drinking throughout the trip to avoid headaches & sickness. It was my first ever Mountain to summit, definitely a tough on for the first time so make sure you are fit enough to do this, NOT a beginner hike!! Make sure you take a few days or weeks to acclimate to altitude if you’re an out of town visitor. I’ve never used hiking sticks but I bet they’d make a difference! Hard on your knees going back down. Thunderstorms roll in noon-2 o clock just like everyone says, don’t dilly dally at the top too much, be well below tree line around before the clouds roll in!! Ate chick fil a afterward!

Hannah Forsythe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 02 2020
Hiking

So I’ve spent the last week at the Rocky Mountain national Park and decided to take a day trip to Manitou Springs to hike pikes Peak and I would say that was one of the best decisions I’ve made in a long time. This was by far the best hike I think I’ve ever done. I really enjoyed it! I’m a solo hiker and I started around 5:30 in the morning. A lot of people said that the first 3 miles were the hardest but it wasn’t too bad honestly. I would like to say that I didn’t think that the incline was too intense at any point of climbing pikes. I will say that once I got a couple miles from the top it was a little bit more challenging just because of the altitude but make sure to do deep breathing exercises take your time and I had no issues at all. I will say the construction at the very top with a little frustrating just because they require you to take a mile detour down to the road and then finish hiking your way back up on the road. I did convince the construction workers to let me walk past towards the right though and it brought me right to the summit house. Also after this trail you have to try their donuts as a reward for getting your butt all the way to the top of the mountain! Do this trail! I did read that this trail has the potential to be slightly miserable if the weather isn’t nice and I really lucked out because it was chilly, not too hot, not too windy and no storms. I’d say it took me a little over seven hours to reach the top but that’s because I made lots of stops Because the person that was walking with me struggled slightly with the elevation towards the top. You could make it faster but don’t rush yourself there’s beautiful views the whole way up so enjoy it.

Autumn Banks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 28 2020
Hiking

This was awesome!! I did it a couple weeks ago and it took us about 7 hours to reach the top. Mind you, I’m almost 6 months pregnant. Really challenging physically and mentally but 100% worth it. We got caught in a thunderstorm that turned into a white out about 0.5 miles from the top, had to ditch our gear and scrabble straight up because we were freezing and didn’t want to get struck by lightening, and had to be escorted back to the bottom because they shut the whole mountain down definitely recommend trying it if you know what you’re doing! NOT for the beginner or faint of heart

Helen SMith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
Hiking

Great trail, really special place. The construction at the top is an issue, if you need to get into summit house you have to walk an extra 1.8 miles or get a construction worker to walk you through. Bring a mask to get into either barr camp ir summit house

View Helen's Recording
Ria X
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 24 2020
HikingRockyScrambleSnow

Ahhhh this trail destroyed me. I left at about 6:50 and encountered the famed afternoon thunderstorm at around 2 at 9 miles in. But for someone out of state I wasn’t going to give up, so kept hiking, and had to hide under boulders from lightning and hail. From California so definitely felt the effect of altitude. Felt dizzy and vision was weird after passing timberline, could barely catch my breath and I’m not out of shape too. Finally made it to the top by 5 pm, the construction stopped then and was able to walk across the site without taking the one mile detour. Hitchhiked down because the shuttle to the lower lot stopped at 5.

View Ria's Recording
Caitlin Ferrell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 24 2020
Hiking

@BrendanPetry Yes. There are several established campsites right across the trail from Barr Camp. You could also continue onto the A-frame, a first-come first-serve three-walled structure. I pitched my tent right near there. And, the Barr Trail lies on Pike National Forest boundaries, so just follow the rules for dispersed camping :)

Brendan Petry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 22 2020
Hiking

Question for the forum: I’m planning a trip to hike Pikes Peak to the top from the Barr Trail, and was wondering about if it was possible for primitive camping off-site from Barr Camp in the event that it is not open to camping reservations by the time I would plan on arriving by? The window I was looking at was going to be from July 19-24.

Caitlin Ferrell
Hiking

Some markers - Right after the 6-mile marker is Barr Camp. They are currently on a “soft open” - no camping there, but they have snacks and stuff for sale. The creek crosses right there and there are tables and benches so it is a good break spot. The Timberline A-frame is between the 8 and 8.5 mile markers and was surprisingly clean - happy to see people packing their stuff out! There is a small stream with a spring here, if you want to filter water. Very soon after the 8.5, you will be above tree line. The Summit House IS open, and you can get hot food, including donuts, and take a picture at the summit sign. :) Oh and if anyone happens to find a dark green Sunday Afternoons hat, let me know :) Lost it between the peak and Timberline A-frame.

Clay Thompson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 16 2020
Hiking

One of the more difficult 14ers. The 12 miles to get to the summit are just about all uphill and the last mile is steep with lots of rocks. Trail is very well trafficked and easy to follow which is nice. It took me 6hrs to get to the top, definitely start before 0530. Note that there is currently construction at the top and you have to go around it adding about 1 mile. If it is a Sunday or a holiday you can sneak through but most days the construction is going on.

Carson Cockrell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 14 2020
Hiking

Cathartic to say the least

Scott Barnes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 14 2020
HikingBugsRocky
View Scott's Recording
Paul Ayestaran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 07 2020
Hiking

Great 14er for non expert people like me as the trail is not technical at all and there’s a very steady elevation gain across the 11.5 miles up. No problem with snow, no scrambling 8h30 for me to do the round trip

View Paul's Recording
Alex Merriam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 27 2020

Left trailhead at 530am got back to trail head at 6pm. Ball buster

Tom Watson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 24 2020
Hiking

Great trail. Made the summit with my son it was our first 14’er. Make sure you take some time to acclimate to the elevation change it was definitely a challenge but well worth the hike! The view from the top is incredible. We camped a few miles down after the summit and the wind and rain made for a prayer filled night. Overall a great experience we’ll not soon forget.

Tim Fellows
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 24 2020
Hiking

Snowpack is very minimal, only a handful of small patches between treeline and the summit. There were some patches of black ice that can sneak up on you, but as long as you keep an eye out for them they aren't a serious issue. As for the summit, the trail is blocked by construction with a long detour to get to the official sign. Hypothetically, as long as there is no active work being done, it is very easy to walk around the fence, cut through the construction site, and snap a couple quick photos.

Memphis Raines
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 23 2020
Hiking

Did the round trip yesterday. Alltrails listed 21.3 miles is definitely short. My GPS came in at over 24 round trip. Trail markers also show it’s over the 21.3. Trail itself is awesome. Beautiful views throughout. 5 or 6 short snowy spots left, but they were packy snow that could easily be walked through for the 50-100’ feet a piece. One spot was pretty snowy and a bit mushy while on the boulder field at mile 9+, so I scrambled about 40 feet upwards to skip the snow and hit the next switchback. No traction spikes necessary at any point of the hike. Barr camp itself is closed, but there’s a stream running alongside it you can use to refill water provided you bring a means to purify it. Summit house/shop is also closed. This actually sucked, because the construction blocked off access to the Pikes Peak Summit sign unless you take a pretty decent length detour to get there. After 12 miles I wasn’t in the mood to add any more miles, so I skipped that particular photo op. Wish they’d position a temporary summit sign that’s accessible even with the construction.

Tim Kennedy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 13 2020
HikingRockyScrambleSnow

PACK IT OUT. Overall great day... we did the out and back which added up closer to 25 mi. The trail is dry enough now that you don’t require micro-spikes. Some of the snowfields at the top could be prone to slide a bit later in the month so consider an alpine axe. The summit house is closed. Barr Camp is closed (water source still available). A ridiculous amount of trash and clothing that had been left behind (including debris from summit house construction). Picked up all that we could but PLEASE pack it out and pick up any trash that you see.

Ian Whitney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 09 2020
HikingIcy

We left the trailhead at the cog rail depot a little before 5:15 and reached the summit around 10:30. After a quick lunch we got back to the trailhead around 3. Trail is great up through barr camp. Past Barr camp and before the tree line it gets a little snowy and icy but most of that is in the shade and still hard so it’s not an issue. Past the tree line there are larger snow fields that get quite mushy past 10am. We had no problem getting up but coming down I postholed a few times, which was not particularly pleasant. Past the 16 golden stairs it gets quite icy and the trail can be obscured in some places so proceed with caution here. Also Barr camp is closed, there is no water access or bathrooms. We carried about 3 liters of water each and that was fine for the hike. Overall great hike!

Edan Wall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu May 07 2020
Hiking

I tried to hike this trail on Monday, May 4th. I was going to do Barr camp and back. When I got there at 4:30 am the parking ticket machine was out of paper so I couldn’t print a ticket. Not wanting to get a fine from the police, I left and went to Cheyenne canon. Anybody know if this was just a random occurrence or if it has been re filled? Thanks

Claire Glover
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue May 05 2020
Hiking

Incredible, legendary! Such a challenging and emotional journey. Summited Barr Trail/Pikes Peak last in July when the weather was great!

Coach Langley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Apr 30 2020
HikingFee

Good trail with a moderately difficult beginning. Would recommend to those in better than average shape to attempt it.

View Coach's Recording
Shawna Compassi-Gross
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Apr 25 2020
HikingFee
View Shawna's Recording
Huck C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Mar 21 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

What a legendary hike. Be prepared.