Learn more

Pikes Peak Highway: Cascade to the Summit of Pikes Peak

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(67)
Hurricane Canyon Natural Area

Pikes Peak Highway: Cascade to the Summit of Pikes Peak is a 17.4 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Cascade, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for nature trips, road biking, and scenic driving and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 17.4 mi Elevation gain 6,509 ft Route type Point to Point

Photos (182)
Recordings (22)
Completed (276)
H B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 12, 2020
Scenic drivingGreat!

We also paid $15 per person and there is a ton of construction at the top. Crowded. There are some good views, but you will need to walk through rocky terrain and some construction to get to them. Wear your mask as it will also help with the dust! Shuttle at 13 mile mark and 16 mile mark. Running all the time and didn’t have to wait long. They are not filling each shuttle van. Lots of room each time when we went at 2:00 on a weekday.

Shane Silvey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 14, 2020
Scenic driving

I give it a three star rating because they are doing so much construction at the top that you can't really get good views in most places. The scenery driving up and back down is very nice though. However, at the moment, it is not worth the price of admission, $15/person, because of the construction. The shuttles are a big headache because you have to wait in line; or at least we did July 14, 2020.

Tim Lewis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 10, 2020

Great drive up on mothers day. Stunning 360 views of the rockies

Micah Harris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2019
Scenic driving

Great scenic drive. Takes 2 hrs to go up. But there doing construction at the top, so you have to ride a shuttle bus.

Mike C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 17, 2019
Scenic driving

Beautiful Drive! Check hours as it takes about two hrs to get to the top and back, so gate closes early. We showed up at 3:35pm first try and the gate had just closed at 3:30. Regardless, Pikes Peak is a must-see American Icon. Amazing views and awesome to watch the scenery change past the tree line. Bring warm clothes - it can be cold and windy at the top!! We put a GoPro on our roof and posted the results: https://youtu.be/HHBfg_RCQOY

Derial Bivens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 11, 2018

I went at the beginning of October. There was little traffic and the weather was very cooperative. Lots of amazing views!

Rebecca Allen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 10, 2018

Absolutely beautiful drive with stunning views, especially at the top. I drove with my windows down and was disappointed in the smell from all the car fumes.Alot of traffic so go during the week and early.

Brad Utterback
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2018
Scenic driving

Hey, it’s Pikes Peak, what’s not to like! Spectacular views, hairy drips and several areas to pull off and relax! We saw several marmots but missed the big horn sheep. Maybe next time!

View Brad's Recording
Kirsten Chesney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 22, 2018
Scenic driving

Awesome drive with great views! View the landscape that prompted the song, "America the Beautiful." I was there in December and it was insanely windy at the top, which froze your ears and hands, so bring warm clothes. If you get car sick, you might have issues during the drive, but there is plenty of horizon (albeit at a 20 degree angle) to gaze at to help calm the stomach. There is a nice gift shop and cafe with hot drinks and comfort food at the top. If coming from sea level, the elevation might make it difficult to breathe. I was able to run a bit at the top without too much trouble except a slight light head. But everyone responds differently to elevation. Bring your camera!

Laura Sedlock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 16, 2017

The view from the top is definitely worth the drive. We waited in line for 2-3 hours before we even reached the gate to get into the scenic highway. Use low gear coming off the mountain and be advised some areas do not have guard rails. This will take you about 2 hours from start to finish. Do attempt to take a travel trailer or camper up this highway. Bring warm clothes, temp is much cooler on top of the mountain.

Shannon Connors
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2017

Was here in early June 2017. Loved it!!!

Matthew Knight

Crowd favorite from our Colorado trip!

Tiffany M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 29, 2017
Scenic driving

This is a beautiful drive up to the top

Pat Ribotto
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 8, 2017
Scenic driving

Drove up here in my old F-100 ford pickup back in 1980. It's an awesome road and the views are obviously great. This was the first time being at that kind of elevation and I was suckin wind just walking across the parking lot. Crazy. They were checking everyone's brakes at the bottom when you got down to see that you weren't overdoing it. They would make you pull over and wait if you overheated them.

Trey Trey Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 15, 2017
Road biking

Rode the Cog Train up to the Peak and then took a bike ride down... Great views and fun little ride with plenty of places to stop along the way!

Tiffany N
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 12, 2016

There was plenty of places to pull off the side of the road and take in the beautiful scenery of Colorado. The air is very thin at the top.

Jaimie Drummond
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 9, 2016
Scenic driving

beautiful views and an amazing drive

Nicolle Walters
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 22, 2016
Scenic driving

Yesterday we went on the Pikes Peak Highway. We were excited to do something that none of us had ever done despite living in Colorado most of my 48 years of life! While the views were breathtaking, I have to tell you that my impressions were in general very poor. First of all, it’s expensive. They charge per person instead of per vehicle. Something that frustrates me is public places being priced out of the grasp of the average family. We paid $39 to drive past the toll booth. For context, it costs $20 to get into Rocky Mountain National Park for one day. There's no arguing that the views driving up aren't exhilarating! The summit is basically a bare parking lot with so much trash, it’s heartbreaking. Step to the edges and you know why you came. For sure. It’s amazing! However, the bathrooms inside the gift shop were filthy. The gift shop itself is tiny. Not a big deal until the cog train arrives, then it's oppressive. If you're claustrophobic, forget about it! The employee who checked us out was bragging to the guy in front of me that the employees have competitions to see who could drive up and down the mountain the fastest. Unless you've been there and driven the road, you won't understand the audacity of that admission. The trip down was also mainly uneventful other than following a big diesel truck all the way down despite several stops including those meant simply to get away from said truck. It was the proverbial bad penny although I’m sure the people were nice enough! The contrail was not! While on our stops, we visited with the rangers, picked up miscellaneous trash we saw (both on the top and along the way…makes me sad) and when people would come up from behind, we'd pull over letting them go past...we weren't in a hurry and didn't want to feel pressure to go too fast. After several attempts to avoid the diesel truck, we came up on it and it as stopped in the road taking pictures. As we started driving again, I begged my husband to just go past it. It was making all of us inside the car, especially our daughter, sick. Anyway, as we approached the building where we'd paid to get in, I asked my husband to stop and get a couple of maps to keep as souvenirs. When he got back in the car, he said that the female ranger he’d talked to had told him that she'd received four complaints about us passing people (plural). And she was really nasty about it too. Where my husband is calm and rational, I’m fiery and passionate. After the visit we’d had, those we’d let pass, the diesel fumes, the trash we’d picked up, generally been good visitors, the injustice was too much. I made him go back so that I could give her a piece of my mind. I didn't yell, I didn't use bad language, but I basically told her what I thought of that little piece of business. At the very least, we were a paying guest. We could have been gently reminded of the rules. In my interaction with the establishment since, it turns out that the calls they received were for a “dark blue” van. Ours is grey. I have no doubt that there was one call regarding us going past the truck. And I stand by our going past it. We were able to see the road ahead and didn’t endanger anyone. It wasn’t a race, and we weren’t doing it simply to get down faster. I'll spare you the details of my conversation with the ranger, but I will never ever go back. We’ve been all over the state of Colorado and never been treated like this. And while being charged more than a little? No thank you. There are many places you can see sweeping vistas and such.

Laurah Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 19, 2016
Scenic driving

Taken this drive a couple of times. Its okay, and you have great views from the top, but not really something I care to do again. A very crowded area!

Jeff Tomlin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 16, 2016
Scenic driving

Very scenic, but next time I'm taking the train so I can sightsee

Iain Baker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2016
Road biking

Made the climb on my road bike. Tough climb particularly considering the altitude, but totally worth it for the ride down. Can't wait to do it again...

Hector Viera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2016
Scenic driving

Gorgeous scenery plenty of pit stops to take pics and your driving on a race track!!!!

E S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 14, 2015
Scenic driving

Great drive but costs a bit and is busy.

Amy Morton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 25, 2015

Too many people. In parking lot at the top exhaust fumes from all the cars will have you gasping for air, if you weren't already from lack of oxygen. In spite of that, the views are awe inspiring and if you hike away from the road and the very damaged ecosystem it is very beautiful. Maybe it is a good thing that most people will never make it that high into the mountains. The delicate ecosystem above timberline can't handle the abuse. The whole trip made me sad. I'll never drive to the top of a mountain again. Hiked it in my 20's. I guess I'll aspire to that again in the future.

Andi Donahue
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 22, 2015
Scenic driving

Beautiful drive... we went during the beginning of February so the restaurant at the top was closed. We went 19 miles into the park. The last mile was closed due to road conditions which is understandable for that time of year. Unbeatable views for as far as the eyes can see!

Jarrad Griffith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 22, 2015
Scenic driving

wonderful drive up the mountain with great views of the surrounding area. I recommend going in the spring summer or fall because it gets closed in winter

Peyton E.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 23, 2015

I drove up when I was there, but I'm for sure going back to hike it! So pretty, and a little scary! Loved!

Melissa M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 24, 2014
Scenic driving

Stunning scenery! At times my fear of heights kicked in towards the top. But! The entire trip to the summit is well worth those 3 or 4 times I found myself gripping the seat. The reservoirs, the trees, the fresh smelling air...beautiful!!

Melody Long
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 30, 2014
Mountain biking

Rode the Cog Train to the top and rode (braked!) mountain bikes 20 miles to the bottom

Cassandra Johnston
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 19, 2014

Nice drive very beautiful at the top! Hard to believe that a woman made that climb, was so inspired of the beautiful scene that she wrote AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL! True story, and would love to hike this one day!