Pikes Peak Highway: Cascade to the Summit of Pikes Peak

Pikes Peak Highway: Cascade to the Summit of Pikes Peak is a 17.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Cascade, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for road biking and scenic driving and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

The toll is $12 per person, military discount makes it $10

scenic driving

The view from the top is definitely worth the drive. We waited in line for 2-3 hours before we even reached the gate to get into the scenic highway. Use low gear coming off the mountain and be advised some areas do not have guard rails. This will take you about 2 hours from start to finish. Do attempt to take a travel trailer or camper up this highway. Bring warm clothes, temp is much cooler on top of the mountain.

scenic driving

Was here in early June 2017. Loved it!!!

Crowd favorite from our Colorado trip!

scenic driving

This is a beautiful drive up to the top

scenic driving

Drove up here in my old F-100 ford pickup back in 1980. It's an awesome road and the views are obviously great. This was the first time being at that kind of elevation and I was suckin wind just walking across the parking lot. Crazy. They were checking everyone's brakes at the bottom when you got down to see that you weren't overdoing it. They would make you pull over and wait if you overheated them.

Rode the Cog Train up to the Peak and then took a bike ride down... Great views and fun little ride with plenty of places to stop along the way!

Friday, November 25, 2016

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Saturday, November 12, 2016

There was plenty of places to pull off the side of the road and take in the beautiful scenery of Colorado. The air is very thin at the top.

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

beautiful views and an amazing drive

Monday, August 22, 2016

Yesterday we went on the Pikes Peak Highway. We were excited to do something that none of us had ever done despite living in Colorado most of my 48 years of life! While the views were breathtaking, I have to tell you that my impressions were in general very poor.

First of all, it’s expensive. They charge per person instead of per vehicle. Something that frustrates me is public places being priced out of the grasp of the average family. We paid $39 to drive past the toll booth. For context, it costs $20 to get into Rocky Mountain National Park for one day.

There's no arguing that the views driving up aren't exhilarating! The summit is basically a bare parking lot with so much trash, it’s heartbreaking. Step to the edges and you know why you came. For sure. It’s amazing!

However, the bathrooms inside the gift shop were filthy. The gift shop itself is tiny. Not a big deal until the cog train arrives, then it's oppressive. If you're claustrophobic, forget about it!

The employee who checked us out was bragging to the guy in front of me that the employees have competitions to see who could drive up and down the mountain the fastest. Unless you've been there and driven the road, you won't understand the audacity of that admission.

The trip down was also mainly uneventful other than following a big diesel truck all the way down despite several stops including those meant simply to get away from said truck. It was the proverbial bad penny although I’m sure the people were nice enough! The contrail was not!

While on our stops, we visited with the rangers, picked up miscellaneous trash we saw (both on the top and along the way…makes me sad) and when people would come up from behind, we'd pull over letting them go past...we weren't in a hurry and didn't want to feel pressure to go too fast.

After several attempts to avoid the diesel truck, we came up on it and it as stopped in the road taking pictures. As we started driving again, I begged my husband to just go past it. It was making all of us inside the car, especially our daughter, sick.

Anyway, as we approached the building where we'd paid to get in, I asked my husband to stop and get a couple of maps to keep as souvenirs.

When he got back in the car, he said that the female ranger he’d talked to had told him that she'd received four complaints about us passing people (plural). And she was really nasty about it too.

Where my husband is calm and rational, I’m fiery and passionate. After the visit we’d had, those we’d let pass, the diesel fumes, the trash we’d picked up, generally been good visitors, the injustice was too much. I made him go back so that I could give her a piece of my mind. I didn't yell, I didn't use bad language, but I basically told her what I thought of that little piece of business.

At the very least, we were a paying guest. We could have been gently reminded of the rules. In my interaction with the establishment since, it turns out that the calls they received were for a “dark blue” van. Ours is grey.

I have no doubt that there was one call regarding us going past the truck. And I stand by our going past it. We were able to see the road ahead and didn’t endanger anyone. It wasn’t a race, and we weren’t doing it simply to get down faster.

I'll spare you the details of my conversation with the ranger, but I will never ever go back. We’ve been all over the state of Colorado and never been treated like this. And while being charged more than a little? No thank you. There are many places you can see sweeping vistas and such.

Friday, August 19, 2016

Taken this drive a couple of times. Its okay, and you have great views from the top, but not really something I care to do again. A very crowded area!

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Very scenic, but next time I'm taking the train so I can sightsee

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Made the climb on my road bike. Tough climb particularly considering the altitude, but totally worth it for the ride down. Can't wait to do it again...

Monday, June 06, 2016

Gorgeous scenery plenty of pit stops to take pics and your driving on a race track!!!!

Friday, October 16, 2015

Monday, September 14, 2015

Great drive but costs a bit and is busy.