Pikes Peak from the Crags Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(373)
Pike National Forest

Pikes Peak from the Crags Trail is a 13.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Divide, Colorado that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 13.1 miles Elevation Gain: 4,402 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Please note: road to trailhead may close seasonally. Please research prior to your visit. Visitors will continue to notice significant changes in the drainage over the next few years as more and more spruce trees succumb to the natural succession from the beetle infestation. The shortest free hiking route up Pikes Peak From the parking lot you will see the sign for the Crags trailhead. Begin hiking down this trail. After a tenth of a mile you will see a sign on the right labeling trail 664A take this trail across a log bridge and begin your ascent. This trail will take you into a basin at the base of the peak, then it will aggressively gain elevation up to Devil's Playground. As you reach Devil's Playground the rest of the route to the summit comes into view. The ridge is a long and gradual hike. As you hike the ridge you must cross the Pikes Peak Tollway and stay on the Northeast side of the road. The road is regularly patrolled and you will be fined if caught hiking on it. The last bit of trail to the summit is a steep rocky section. Keep your eyes open for cairns that mark the trail. If you stay on the trial this section isn't bad, but if you lose the trail you're in for some tough rock scrambling. At the summit rest in the summit house and return the way you came.

this was my first time to the top of pikes and the views up this trail are spectacular! we must have been looking elsewhere and didn’t see the turn off for the trail to devils playground near the beginning and ended up taking the whole crags trail. this too has gorgeous views so aside from the added mileage, wasn’t a bad thing. we certainly weren’t the only ones that made this same mistake today. trail conditions were great, the few snow crossings weren’t bad. this trail is great with dogs! the trickiest part for mine was the scramble at the end, but following the cairns was manageable for my 35lb pup.

The road to the TH is open and in good shape. The best I have ever seen and any car should be able to make it. The trail is dry until just above Devils playground at which point there is a snow field. No traction devices are necessary but conditions could always change if we get more snow and then a thaw/freeze cycle so do bring micro spikes just in case.

There is an unmarked turn right at the beginning of the hike. You will need to veer right and go across a bridge. Overall conditions were great. A few patches of snow but no need for spikes or anything beyond hiking boots.

Average hiker here. Pretty challenging I'd say. Lots of incline and fighting the wind both ways once you are past the tree line. Last half mile in Devils Playground becomes a scramble, no clear path from what I could tell. A few snowy patches that could be avoided easily. No signal so no recording using the app .

Started at 5 and down by 10 30 , beautiful run. Above tree line there are a lot of rock stacks that help you find your way , the scramble up top has many of those.Not a lot of snow at all, overall great conditions to hike on.Coming down I came across a red Powerade bottle in between 2 rocks on the trail. I must say how lazy that person is to have the effort to put it there but not bring it down , don’t litter in the mountains.

A nice challenging trail. Overall me and my hiking partner clocked in at about 16 miles rather than 13.1. We did end up on the road for short portions towards the top in order to avoid some of the trickier snowy sections. The hike took about 9 hours round trip including our break at the top to eat. It’s a good idea to bring a good wind layer for the peak, but on the way down it got so warm that I ended up taking off all my layers. I really enjoyed this trail and the views are amazing.

Good views of the surrounding mountains on this trail! Minimal snow and did not use microspikes. The construction at the top sucks, but you can still easily find a spot to sit and enjoy the view from.

We started from the trailhead around 4:30. The conditions were great with a lot of wind past Devil's Playground. There are some tricky snow sections that are easily avoidable by either following the road or going just above the areas with snow. You do not need to bring any added traction It took us about 4.5hrs to summit; however, there is a lot of construction happening at the top. We struggled around to find a place to sit and eat some food. This trail is what it is. Not a very enjoyable 14er, but there are some decent views from this trailhead.

A pretty strenuous trail for the casual hiker like me. I arrived at the trailhead at 6:30 AM and there was plenty of parking spaces. Didn’t encounter snow of any significance. The first section out of the tree line and the boulder section near the top were more challenging than I anticipated. The views are awesome obviously. Enjoy!

icy

THE GATE IS OPEN!!!! WARNING: The private property owner called the Sheriff to ticket/ tow those who parked on his property, warnings were given. The trail was nice and plan on doing it again in the near future. The trail is not defined or marked as well as Barr Trail. The trail map at the trailhead is a bit tricky to read and doesn’t provide accurate distance or landmarks. I highly encourage doing your homework prior to showing up and do not assume this is an easy day hike were poor footwear and zero water is need (shout out to the poor souls we came across on the trail) Today, there was snow and ice on the trail, but didn’t need any extra gear. Our gear consisted of backpack (water/food), light cold weather clothing, running shoes and hiking poles. The whole family was able to do this hike. We have three kids (13 yo, 11 yo, & 8 yo). This trail is perfect and very obtainable for the average healthy adult. For those hikers wanting to take their children... DO NOT let this hike be their first. We have been conditioning our kids for months which resulted in success (they carried their own food, water and gear round trip :))

Hiked on 5/17/2020 - A great hike with amazing views all the way to the top! A little bit of snow from the storm that came through on Sat, but did not effect traction too much. Spikes were not needed. Gate was open but the restrooms at the trail head remained closed. As other reviews state - come prepared with appropriate gear and check the forecast, this is not a casual or easy hike.

The access road to the trailhead is closed so you’ll end up adding an extra mile to the hike both ways. Neither micros spikes nor snowshoes are needed. The snow is firm enough to walk across with basic traction in most places. Otherwise, there’s plenty of space to walk around what remains of the current snow. Started at 9am, down by 4:30pm. Massive construction on the summit is wack.

icy

If it weren’t for the snow it would have been an easy hike. About 2-4 feet of snow the entire way, most of it you can walk on but every few feet you’ll sink in if you don’t have snowshoes. Trail is very hard to find in many spots due to snow. Saw mountain goats. Overall, good, challenging hike. Would recommend doing it sometime later though without snow

icy

Decent snow cover still through the trees until Devil's Playground. Route finding can become difficult if you're not paying attention but easy to follow the gully up and down. 18 degrees at the summit and pretty biting wind as you get above timberline where it becomes a long slog. Last 1500m was dicey with ice covered boulders and snow covering cairned paths so you need to make your own route which takes some time. Great views, open, decent effort, but worth it.

Just did this November 7th and did not foresee the amount of deep snow I encountered..........I know, snow in November in Colorado, crazy, NOT!....I paid for it. With knee high snow most of the way up the first open area once I got through the trees, 40mph wind in 20degree temps, I was smoked by devils playground! I ended up going left of the trail and skirting the ridge line to avoid the deep snow drifts. I was the only one on this trail the entire way. I’m glad I brought a full kit because the way back down took longer than expected because of the snow, and my phone died at .5 miles from the summit. Micro spikes were a must and I would not advise testing this hike in the snow unless you know what you’re doing, are acclimated, and in good shape. But it was a epic adventure and I loved it!!!! I took my time and was very cautious with my footing........took six hrs to summit and 4.5 to get down due to the conditions.