Pikes Peak from Devils Playground

Pikes Peak from Devils Playground is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Woodland Park, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

A relatively short and easy hike on Pikes Peak From the parking lot walk across the road back to the Northeast side and look for the hikers path that begins by paralleling the road. Do not hike on the road as you will be fined by the Pikes Peak Toll Road authorities that regularly patrol the road. The path will take a more direct route to the summit than the road. By hiking this path you will have the time to enjoy the views and the thin air. The last stretch of this hike goes up the steep pitch to the summit. Here you must be careful to look for cairns (rock stacks) so that you don't loose the trail. Once at the summit house enjoy some food from Colorado's highest restaurant before you begin your hike back to your car.

We took the shuttle from the Devils Playground parking lot to the summit and back. It is a quick and easy for those who want to get to the summit quickly. There was construction at the summit right now. Other then that the views on the summit was beautiful. We experienced sunny, cloudy, windy and hail weather conditions all within an hour while we were up there so be prepared.

Much harder than moderate. I would definitely rate as difficult although we started at the bottom of the mountain and hiked to devils playground first so it was a long day.
For this stretch though the last 1/2 mile or so is just scrambling rocks so be prepared. Make sure to follow the cairns or else you’ll end up doing a lot of hand hiking.
Amazing experience for my first 14er but am definitely feeling it today.
I recommend started at the bottom for the full 14er experience and lots of wildflowers and killer views. Come prepared for cool and hot weather, bring snacks and sunscreen, and take an easy pace. It’s 14 miles altogether to come from the bottom.
Overall all... worth it!!

My mom (72) and I did this hike on June 30. She did her first hike (ever) this past Wednesday. It’s my 3rd 14er. I agree that the first 2/3 of the hike is pretty easy. Nice trail, very well marked. Once you hit the rocks things get a bit more difficult. Follow the cairns and you can find a decent path but definitely scrambling near the end. My Garmin hiking app had the summit at exactly 3 miles from Devil’s Playground. We took the shuttle back down as it was very windy today and cold (about 47 degrees) at the summit. The views were spectacular.

Me and my wife both did this on Friday. Great little hike for beginners. Not difficult to follow or climb. I’ve done several 14ners. This was my wife’s first. She loved it! She’s already checking when our next vacation will be so we can see what other one we can do! We did get caught in a quick lightning and hail storm and had to hide out in a rock hole for about 20min near the top in the boulders. Little scary but it quickly passed. Very pretty hike!!

Arrived at Devils Playground around 10:30am. Since there is construction at the summit right now they are running a shuttle service from Devils Playground parking lot to the summit and back. We were able to hike to the summit and take the shuttle back down to our vehicle at mile 16 parking lot. First two thirds of the trail is pretty easy. It follows the road for the most part and has some pretty good views to the valley below. The toughest part of the hike seemed to be the incline right before the boulder scramble, which provided a pretty good burn on a steep incline. The rock scramble at the end was fun, more mentally challenging than physically. Most of the cairns were easily visible, however a few were quite small and took a minute for us to find the right way to go. Overall easy path to follow and great for first timers and those who want to get to the summit quickly. Took my wife and I just over an hour and a half of hiking (excluding some water/snack breaks) and we are from much lower altitude (south carolina).

Started just after 12 noon. Good incline. Manageable snow-no spikes or snow shoes needed. Hiked up and hitched a ride back down. Summit after 1.5 hours

This was my first 14er summit and in winter/spring! Definitely do-able in a few hours and a nice workout! It's a good length if you want to get a 14er but aren't sure you can do a longer distance. The trail was pretty snow-less for the most part, a few patches (one on a steeper slope that made crossing a little nerve wracking) but I know the weather had been pretty nice the prior week. It gets REALLY windy at points so dress properly! I didn't need YakTraks or Microspikes but the part of the trail that is on a slope they could have been helpful because that was a bit scary to cross. The wind got stronger in the afternoon but overall it was decently easy to follow! You definitely have to keep an eye out for the cairns, most were large piles of rocks and we were able to follow them without a problem but it could be difficult after a fresh snow to find the trail in parts. The last like 800ft or so is a rock climb/scramble so be prepared for that! Most of that trail is pretty packed down but be careful so you don't post-hole! It follows the highway for a bit but I didn't find that bothersome and it's nice to grab a donut/get out of the wind once you reach the top! (Plus there's lots of people to take your picture when you get there!) Make sure you pay attention to when the toll road gates are open and close so you don't get stuck! Sometimes the gate at mile 13 is closed due to wind so you can't get up to Devil's Playground (mile 16) and the 1st gate is at the bottom of the hill so in winter you can't start hiking until after at least 9am so plan accordingly!

We hiked this trail at the beginning of August 2017. There's a huge parking lot at the trailhead, which was great. This hike is pretty easy until you approach the summit and get to a rather challenging rock scramble. There are cairns to mark the easiest way to go, but they're not always easy to find. Kids would probably do okay on this hike. We also saw a few marmots on the trail. There's a huge gift shop at the summit and a ton of tourists who drove up there. Highly recommend!

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

We did this hike from the craggs. It was about 8 miles one way to the top of pikes peak. I really enjoyed the craggs to devils playground but from there you're walking next to the toll road the rest of the way up. A lot of traffic and people playing on the rocks at devils playground. Kinda takes away from the experience but still a beautiful hike none the less. I believe this hike is a class 2 because of the scrambling up the rocks the last half mile or so. Most of the snow has melted as of 6/20

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Recommend you be in good shape to do this hike. Straight up the whole way, but the views are spectacular! Trail is hard to find near the summit, just follow the cairns and you should be good.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Great way to summit the peak of you don't want to drive or ride the train! This is the last leg of the Crags to Pikes Peak Trail - the Sunday morning I went there was a decent amount by of traffic on the trail. It is challenging, but if you take your time and pay attention to the cairns you should be fine if you are an average/somewhat experienced hiker. They have really worked to make the cairns more visible in the boulder field, but you still need to look carefully. Make sure you check the weather forecast for the summit before you head out! I was able to make the round trip in about 4 hours with a stop for donuts at the top!

Monday, February 15, 2016

Great hike. Not too difficult. Winds were 45mph which made it a bit harsh and cold. Trail was well marked and easy to follow. Views were incredible.

Monday, September 14, 2015

I would say this is more of a difficult trail. And would definitely not recommend for young children. I have 4 kids under 8 that have done 5 miles on moderate trails no issue but this one was very difficult. Especially the scrambling at the end. Took us about 3.5 hrs to summit (half of the hike). We made it slowly and was beautiful but will not do it again until kids are quite a bit older.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013

I did this trail as a part of Crags to Pikes Peak. Though the hike up to Devil's Playground is spectacular and wonderful, I didn't like this last stretch very much. It isn't very pretty--just a lot of hiking on big rocks. The workout is great, though, and there are a couple of really nice views into the valley.