Piedra River Trail

Piedra River Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pagosa Springs, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Great trail for the whole family.

Great trail for the entire family. We took our dog along and all had a wonderful time.

Pretty easy trail, beautiful cliff hangings, mostly by the river with several spots to soak your feet. We loved it and the kids did well.

A beautiful trail, but going to the bridge and back was NOT shady (at least between Noon-2pm). There were brief areas of shade where the cliffs were close on both sides, but for that first 1.75 miles (if that is what it really is to the bridge), I would say 75%+ of the time is not shaded. Wiped out my newbie hiking family :), but it was quite beautiful and worth it.

Lower parallels river Little challenging rivers rocks by water Upper trail has some uphill but beautiful views Hiked these parts 2.5 hours Lower was more crowded

We had a group from 7-72 and everyone hiked to the bridge and back. Wonderful experience.

Beautiful family friendly hike that you can make short or long with limited climbing on the way down or up. Plenty of spots along the river to hang out and enjoy the white water with your significant other or dog etc.

Beautiful scenery and moderate difficulty. Easy to moderate length by turning back and nice shade.

really awesome trail for a day hike! we had two dogs.with us, off leash, and had no problems. they loved splashing around in the river throughout the hike. we went about 5 miles in and then back out, and found some great secluded spots to hang out and rest.

Great hike! Went to the first bridge and back because some people were worn out but up to then it was one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve ever been on. The cliff walls on either side of you while you are next to the river are amazing.

This was a wonderful trail that is easy to hike. We took our dogs and a huge group of all ages and there is plenty of places to get down to the river. Beautiful rock cliffs on both sides. We only went 2 miles in but again it was perfect.

Beautiful and easy. Yes, it’s a bit of a drive from the initial sign (about 10 miles), but totally worth it. We took our kids and dog and enjoyed splashing around at the base of the waterfalls

Love this trail. Scenery is beautiful, with running water along the way.

I live in Pagosa Springs, so this is my go-to when I want to do a long trail run, but I don't want to drive very far.

Awesome hike for people with kids! We hiked with 5 kids (ages 5, 4, 3, 1, & 1), 3 walking and 2 in carriers. We only went about 1.25 miles out and then turned around. Several spots to access the river easily.

Beautiful and easy! We just hiked to the bridge (1.7 miles) had lunch and came back.

Beautiful views and the sounds of the river and my knees only barked a little- LOVED!

Beautiful trail. Easy hike and easy to follow
Canyon, meadows and you are either by the river
and can easily access it or you hear the river
I did 6 miles out and back and the trail was dry as a bone

Gorgeous scenery, but the weather made the trail that much better. Probably in the 50’s while we were there, but there were still spots along the river with frozen waterfalls and snow that hadn’t melted yet. As City folks, the wife and I wore sneakers so it made it a little more challenging with the ice and mud. Probably should of did a little more research on the trail to know when to turn around, but who doesn’t enjoy a good mystery. We turned around at the little bridge.

Minus the first half mile mudfest, once reaching the river, the scenery was spectacular. Cliffs on both sides with a small stream creating a frozen waterfall on the opposite side. Hiked this during a snowstorm which really made it memorable. I'll have to plan this hike again in the summer and have a picnic on the waters edge.

Great trail and beautiful . You have great choices on the trail and great opportunities for photos. I am pretty new to hiking, and this trail was perfect. It was enough to get the exercise I needed without asking me feel defeated

This is a beautiful and fun trail. Took my daughters and filled up our phones with photos of really unique things (for these Texans anyway), like frozen waterfalls, huge cliffs & sheer rock walls, the San Juan flowing in and out of frozen sections... Very doable and easy out & back hike. Highly recommend!

With the warm weather why not experience this great trail with a new look. The frozen river and lack of people made it a completely different hike. Do it if you can.

An easy stroll, especially if you have smaller kids. Lots of opportunities to scramble down to the river and just play around. Excellent views. Interesting rock formations.

Beautiful hike! Muddy in spots, but no snow on the trail.

Absolutely breathtaking views!!

Saturday, August 12, 2017

This trail was easy and beautiful to hike! Sounds of the river and birds surround you as you meander your way through towards the canyon. Dog-friendly. Make sure to wear long pants as there is a massive amount of poison ivy and poison oak through parts of the trail. One of my new favorite hikes!!

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Easy trail but beautiful - starting in a meadow and then going through an Amazon river gorge. Lots of places to hike down to the river and spend time in the water. Easily accessible and well marked.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Beautiful area, amazing views.