Piedra River Trail

Piedra River Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pagosa Springs, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Gorgeous scenery, but the weather made the trail that much better. Probably in the 50’s while we were there, but there were still spots along the river with frozen waterfalls and snow that hadn’t melted yet. As City folks, the wife and I wore sneakers so it made it a little more challenging with the ice and mud. Probably should of did a little more research on the trail to know when to turn around, but who doesn’t enjoy a good mystery. We turned around at the little bridge.

Minus the first half mile mudfest, once reaching the river, the scenery was spectacular. Cliffs on both sides with a small stream creating a frozen waterfall on the opposite side. Hiked this during a snowstorm which really made it memorable. I'll have to plan this hike again in the summer and have a picnic on the waters edge.

Great trail and beautiful . You have great choices on the trail and great opportunities for photos. I am pretty new to hiking, and this trail was perfect. It was enough to get the exercise I needed without asking me feel defeated

This is a beautiful and fun trail. Took my daughters and filled up our phones with photos of really unique things (for these Texans anyway), like frozen waterfalls, huge cliffs & sheer rock walls, the San Juan flowing in and out of frozen sections... Very doable and easy out & back hike. Highly recommend!

With the warm weather why not experience this great trail with a new look. The frozen river and lack of people made it a completely different hike. Do it if you can.

An easy stroll, especially if you have smaller kids. Lots of opportunities to scramble down to the river and just play around. Excellent views. Interesting rock formations.

Beautiful hike! Muddy in spots, but no snow on the trail.

Absolutely breathtaking views!!

This trail was easy and beautiful to hike! Sounds of the river and birds surround you as you meander your way through towards the canyon. Dog-friendly. Make sure to wear long pants as there is a massive amount of poison ivy and poison oak through parts of the trail. One of my new favorite hikes!!

Easy trail but beautiful - starting in a meadow and then going through an Amazon river gorge. Lots of places to hike down to the river and spend time in the water. Easily accessible and well marked.

Beautiful area, amazing views.

Great trail along the beautiful river and especially good for families.

I love this trail!! I've been hiking this trail for years now and it never gets old. It's gorgeous, you can keep hiking for as long as you want or stop when it opens up and go back. There's tons of places to swim too, if you like. I have four kids and we've hiked it twice in two weeks. We hiked to the foot bridge this last time and had a picnic and swam. I'd recommend it to everyone!!

Too much poison ivy along trail, wear long pants and long sleeved shirt.

Great day hike all the way through or go part way out and back.

2 days ago we thoroughly enjoyed this day of short hikes. After having lunch in Pagosa Springs the locals sent us out here to see the "ice caves". Though it's the 28th of June, we were still able to see a couple feet of snow down in a few of the caves and enjoy the coolness as we hiked through the "ice caves". We, my daughter, her friend and I, spent over 3 hours off the marked trails looking for the caves. A definite must see!

We went 2miles in before thunderstorms started moving in, but I would put this on a "must do" hike if you're staying in Pagosa Springs.
The first 1/4 mil is open but then quickly geits into a beautiful canyon cut through the limestone. Its well shaded for about a mile as you wind through the canyon which towers at times over 100' above the trail. The rock climbing locations start almost immediately when you drop down into the canyon. We spotted 10-15 climbs with protection bolted in already. There are also several areas for bouldering with younger kids.
You enter a wide open valley about 1.5miles from the trail head and we got across this before turning back. We had a 6yr old in the lead and averaged 2 mile per hour walking.

Beautiful hike

Beautiful, scenic trail. Lots of flowers in the box canyon. We stopped to eat a late lunch at around Mile 4 on a ledge overlooking the river. Unfortunately we started later in the day so we didn't get to complete the 7 miles. We turned back after eating lunch.

There is some uphill involved but the hike is gorgeous. We didn't even realize we had walked 8 miles until after getting back to the car!

At the trailhead, there are technically two different trails. Stay to the left for this one; the one that heads to the right is for the ice fissures/cave (also a beautiful hike).

Very scenic trail - great for an overnight shakedown hike

This is one of my favorite places in Pagosa. It's usually quiet in the afternoon and the box canyon is gorgeous, especially in Spring when the little waterfall is running.

Super super easy and relaxing.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Beautiful early spring hike, a bit challenging due to icey spots but views and beauty that make it worth it!

Saturday, August 27, 2016

I would definitely recommend this for beginners. My friend and I backpacked 2.5 miles in and set up camp next to the river. There was a loose herd of cows hanging around (cows=cow patties=stinky). The wild raspberries are abundant and tasty! Highly trafficked trail. We had a blast!

rock climbing
Thursday, July 14, 2016

Go during every season and experience a different trail. The winter is the best. The Waterfall is amazing and if you go at the right time. You'll find the waterfall to be around 20'-30' in diameter and an amazing blue/green. The climbing is excellent. Don't TR through the chains or locals will do something about it.

Monday, December 07, 2015

This was my husband and mines first trail in Pagosa since we moved here a few months ago. Hiking in December you'd expect lots of snow pack and ice. Unfortunately it's been unseasonally warm so a good portion of the trail was thick mud. Other than that the trail was pretty easy and very pretty. This is a good trail for beginners or those that would prefer a simple hike to enjoy a beautiful view.

Friday, September 25, 2015

Beautiful! Lovely views! We hiked with 13 fun loving gals and had a blast.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Beautiful trail! We only hiked a few miles in Oct. 2011 but definitely plan on going back to do more of the trail.

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Wondrous canyon views. My favorite hike I've ever experienced. Will hike it several times every time I'm in Pagosa!

Monday, December 29, 2014

My wife and I love this trail - we've only hiked in 5 miles or so from the North trailhead and maybe 3 miles from the South trailhead but we plan to backpack this several times this year as we train over the next few years to do a thru hike of the CT - well at least me anyway :-)