Piedra River Trail

Piedra River Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pagosa Springs, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

rock climbing

This trail was easy and beautiful to hike! Sounds of the river and birds surround you as you meander your way through towards the canyon. Dog-friendly. Make sure to wear long pants as there is a massive amount of poison ivy and poison oak through parts of the trail. One of my new favorite hikes!!

Easy trail but beautiful - starting in a meadow and then going through an Amazon river gorge. Lots of places to hike down to the river and spend time in the water. Easily accessible and well marked.

Beautiful area, amazing views.

Great trail along the beautiful river and especially good for families.

I love this trail!! I've been hiking this trail for years now and it never gets old. It's gorgeous, you can keep hiking for as long as you want or stop when it opens up and go back. There's tons of places to swim too, if you like. I have four kids and we've hiked it twice in two weeks. We hiked to the foot bridge this last time and had a picnic and swam. I'd recommend it to everyone!!

Too much poison ivy along trail, wear long pants and long sleeved shirt.

Great day hike all the way through or go part way out and back.

2 days ago we thoroughly enjoyed this day of short hikes. After having lunch in Pagosa Springs the locals sent us out here to see the "ice caves". Though it's the 28th of June, we were still able to see a couple feet of snow down in a few of the caves and enjoy the coolness as we hiked through the "ice caves". We, my daughter, her friend and I, spent over 3 hours off the marked trails looking for the caves. A definite must see!

We went 2miles in before thunderstorms started moving in, but I would put this on a "must do" hike if you're staying in Pagosa Springs.
The first 1/4 mil is open but then quickly geits into a beautiful canyon cut through the limestone. Its well shaded for about a mile as you wind through the canyon which towers at times over 100' above the trail. The rock climbing locations start almost immediately when you drop down into the canyon. We spotted 10-15 climbs with protection bolted in already. There are also several areas for bouldering with younger kids.
You enter a wide open valley about 1.5miles from the trail head and we got across this before turning back. We had a 6yr old in the lead and averaged 2 mile per hour walking.