Piedra Falls Trail is a 1.6 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Pagosa Springs, Colorado that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.6 km Elevation Gain: 33 m Route Type: Out & Back

Gorgeous falls were the perfect payoff for the hike. Hardest part is driving there!

Easy trail and beautiful scenery.

Great for a short hike. Only 1 mile roundtrip. We were there on a sunny day with some ice on the river, but the falls were still flowing and it made for a nice afternoon.

Started from the parking lot, didn’t pause when at the falls. Didn’t take very long to hike. SO gorgeous in the early winter with snow on the ground and the falls partially frozen!

beautiful falls in an incredible geologic setting. our dog loved the romp along the trail in the creek. lots of spots to picnic in.

Long scenic drive to a short hike with volcanic rock formations and a scenic waterfall. I’ve hiked much longer trails and seen less. Take lunch.

beautiful, easy hike. no major inclines and decent, well traveled walking path. incredible view of the falls.

Nice easy trail, easy to follow and great waterfalls at the end, well worth the time.

I hadn’t been here in ~25 years. It was so fun to share with my kids, 7 & 10! Short, easy hike. We got there early, not too crowded.

Wonder waterfall. The whole family made it and enjoyed it.

Great hike!!! with a gorgeous waterfall at the end! The road to it is the hardest part as its a dirt road and it's a little confusing with no service but it's worth it!

Loooong drive to get to the trailhead but worth it. My 4 year old and almost 2 year old hiked it with me and were able to do most of it by themselves. There is a steep spot with looser terrain that has a drop off on the side that was a little precarious that I noticed many people struggling with. Other than that it’s a simple hike and lots of cool places around the falls to enjoy. I recommend going in the late morning or early afternoon before the mosquitoes come out. We hiked out at 6pm and basically ran back to prevent being bitten.

Great simple trail with one narrow section. The waterfall was pretty & the kids loved it. Wish we had brought swim suits so they could of played in the river a bit, that would have made it better. During runoff that might not work as well. Would have been great this time around.

A quick, short hike with a spectacular end. Our 4 year old son hiked with us. There are a few narrow spots where he had to walk between us instead of next to us but he made it ok. The waterfall was pretty strong from the rain so be prepared to get a little wet from the spray if you are getting close. The trail wasn’t too muddy considering the rain Pagosa Springs had been experiencing.

Great short hike. The drive up the LONG gravel road is the real work, but worth every minute of it. The falls are still super fat right now. LOTS of water. While a generally easy hike... FLIP FLOPS ARE NOT APPROPRIATE PEOPLE. Seriously??? We encountered a number of people "stuck" because of footwear choice.

Did this hike just after we hiked the 7.2 mile Newt Jack Catamount. The drive to Piedra Falls was spectacular...loads of lush landscape and snow-capped mountains to take in along the way. The 0.5 like approach from the parking lot was uneventful...but once you get closer to the falls, the sound of rushing water is exhilarating...while the sight of the waterfal surrounded by massive rocks wraps one in serenity. I was reminded of how insignificant we really are....in the grander scheme of things.

Nice, short little hike to a beautiful water fall. The cascade was just amazing as the record snow melt continued to fill the streams and rivers around the Pagosa Springs area. See my video of the hike here: https://youtu.be/q7scvxYbAkg

nice easy trail with beautiful River views. likely to see some rock climbers on nice days. can also take a right fork off trail soon after you leave parking lot and takes you up above the river to top of my with some fantastic cliff views

Sat May 25 2019

Always a beautiful hike! Short and absolutely worth it! One of my favorites in this are.

Tue May 21 2019

Nice easy hike. Long drive on slimy road. Had snowed the night before. 4wd would be a must if it has any moisture on the road. lots of elk, deer, and a few turkey on the drive in. My 3 y/o grandson hiked with us, and to hold his hand on one small part near the falls.

Wed Apr 24 2019

Trail is not open

Tue Dec 11 2018

Trail was an extremely easy hike with amazing views. We hiked this trail in early December and the water fall was still flowing great! The hike is quite a ways from Pagosa Springs but well worth the drive. If you are going in the winter do not drive a car there. Make sure you have a SUV or truck with 4X4. The last 8 miles to the trail is narrow and not travel much. However, do not let this deter you, if you have a 4X4 the road is manageable. Last note, make sure google takes you to the right road it did not take us to the right road first. You want to take the road that ends on 637. Great hike must do!

Sun Sep 30 2018

Absolutely beautiful hike. The end makes the long drive worth it. We'll marked and easy to find.

Wed Sep 26 2018

Short hike, beautiful falls.

Thu Sep 06 2018

Great easy trail!

Sun Aug 12 2018

Great easy hike. Bring your swimwear so you can jump in.

Thu Aug 02 2018

As suggested by a previous post, we did this trail and then came back and did part of the Piedra River Trail later. This one has fantastic views and of course the beautiful waterfall. I would say that once you're at the waterfall, and even a few times on the way, it pays to have very good and "grippy" shoes. Shoes with a worn out bottom, or sandals, etc. can be very dangerous as the slopes at the waterfall are significant. Well worth it though, as long as you're careful.

Sun Jul 29 2018

Short, easy hike...I like this one so much better than Treasure Falls because you are closer to the water and the falls, lots of rocks to scramble, and just a beautiful little niche once you're back there!

Fri Jul 27 2018

Beautiful way to spend time with the family