Learn more

Pick N Sledge and Grubstake Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(188)
Apex Open Space Park

Pick N Sledge and Grubstake Loop Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and mountain biking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,197 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: Apex Park does get closed a lot in the winter and spring due to mud. Please consult the park's website before visiting. Be sure to read the sign and map at the trail head because the trail is on an alternating schedule to accommodate the large number of hikers and bikers. Even numbered days are reserved for bikers only. Please check before you hike or you may encounter bikers that are frustrated with hikers or vice versa.

Great hike, all exposed and hot in the sun! Hikers on ODD days only, bikes allowed on all days but most bikers are on EVEN days.

Not the best trail running, steep trails and lots of irritating bikers who go to fast.

Hikers - Come on ODD numbered days there’s a lot less mountain bikers. It’s a beautiful hike and lots of sun! Amazing views of the city.

Good hike. Some nice views and a decent work out. Bring a hammock next time for a good look on the city.

WARNING TO HIKERS AND COMMENT TO RECENT REVIEW WRITTEN BY A HIKER. PLEASE STAY OF APEX TRAILS ON EVEN NUMBERED DAYS. Yes, if you were out hiking Apex on an even numbered day you probably did come across a lot of bikers that were annoyed you were hiking. Specially if you were hiking up The Enchanted Forest which is basically a down hill mountain bike trail on even numbered days. I am and avid hiker and biker with 3 small children that have been enjoying Apex for 25 years and it blows my mind every time I'm at Apex biking and I see hikers on this trail on an even numbered day when there are 500 plus mountain bikers riding. Apex park is the number one busiest mountain bike park on any even numbered day(even on a Monday). It is the worst place for anyone to hike on an even numbered day. Odd numbered days are for hiking and bikers can only use the trail directional up hill and must exit at the top(no down hilling allowed). For this reason very few bikers use Apex on odd numbered days and the few that do go are riding up hill slower than a hiker can walk it so there are no issues. As a hiker we basically have the entire park to ourselves on odd numbered day so we can hike in groups with our packs, kids, dogs, cats' and everything but the kitchen sink that clog up this narrow, rocky technically challenging trail making passing each other challenging at times. Apex park is probably the most heavily used trail in the Jeff Co park system and gets way too much use to have bikers and hikers on the same day. I honestly don't know why Jeff Co doesn't just make Apex hiking only on odd days and Biking only on even days like they do with some of their other parks like Centennial Cone. With the odd day directional limitations to bikers, the bikers are basically giving those days to hikers to have use of the park so maybe the courtesy thing for hikers to do is stay off Apex and The Enchanted Forest on even numbered days when you can clearly see the parking lot is full and over flowing with mountain bikers.

Perfect blend of forest and open space.

Apex really is a nice area but it’s still close to a lot of homes including some great looking homes within some of the trails. I couldn’t quite follow one of the trails all the way as the map said, but just backtracked a little to get on another. There are a few different trail options and lots to see! Very pretty areas.

Lots of mud near the bottom and south facing areas. The Grubstake trail section had more deeper snow that is pretty well packed down. Snowshoes not needed, but spikes were helpful.

icy

Apex Park was NOT closed on 1/22/20 even though the trail description says it’s closed. However Apex Park does get closed a lot in the winter and spring due to mud so I’d check with Jefferson County’s Alerts and Closures webpage before you go to make sure it’s open. I only did the Pick-n-Sledge part of the trail and turned around once I got to the Grubstake loop because it was starting to get too dark. There is one big and unavoidable mud patch at the very beginning of the trail, but other than that the mud and ice wasn’t too bad.

Very icy on apex, most of the other trails had some ice but were much easier to deal with! Beautiful day.

closed

So the first 2 miles were 100% exposed, hot, dry and boring. Bugs but no mosquitos. The worst part was this map is taking you to the closed trail which I tried to find another way to get up there(photo attached) so I wasted some time. I decided to follow the closed trail but I was able to get to the trail where I needed to go. After hiked deep into Pick N' Sledge Trail, got some shades. Great trails for mountain bikers for sure but as a hiker/trail runner myself, it was not a fun trail since there were lots of rocks and super dry trail. At least not for me. I'd recommend Enchated Forrest Trail if you go to Apex. You'll love it there. Have fun! #39 07/21/2019

Sun Jun 23 2019

Pretty trail, particularly the portions in the forest. A nice steady incline on the way up and then mostly level after. I would rate this as easy-moderate, on the lower end of moderate. Saw very few hikers and more mountain bikers. Most polite, but a couple flew down areas with no warning. I personally would recommend the Apex trail to Enchanted Forest trail over this one, it’s more challenging and much more scenic.

Wed Jun 12 2019

Great moderate trail. Id recommend it for anyone looking for a solid two to three hour hike.

Dry save 50 ft or so despite all the recent precip. Great run for the holiday weekend!

Thu Apr 25 2019

Mon Apr 08 2019

Mostly dry. Attempted Grubstake but it’s still very snowy.

Fri Apr 05 2019

Clear all the way up, some snow at the top. Had to walk the bike. Progress to top allowed for Apex decent, which was snow and ice in spots. Technical snow but doable on bike if you know what you’re doing.

Fri Nov 23 2018

It was super windy when we went and that made parts of this loop SUPER cold. It was 44 degrees, shorts and hoodie weather but I'm thankful I had my knit hat because while the initial push to the trailhead was exhausting and I had to take layers off I quickly found myself putting them back on once we got into the woods with that wind. What would have made this trail more interesting is that all the way up to the official trail loop it is all just ugly housing that you see off the mountain, but the loop itself is mostly in the forest and that part is gorgeous. If you wonder if taking the Bonanza shortcut is worth it, I would say not because if you take the loop from left around (as we did) then the return loop is side-mountain and easy walking so the Bonanza doesn't take much off.

Sun Oct 21 2018

Great moderate trail very close to the city. Directional for mountain bikers on odd days which makes it much easier to share. Lots of dog lovers but all dogs on a leash. Grubsteak section is more wooded and better for heat of the day. Rest of Trail is fairly exposed so bring a hat even on cooler days. I will definitely do this one again.

Sun Oct 21 2018

Very fun and routy

Fri Oct 19 2018

Easy fun hike! The neighbors in the area are super friendly.

Sun Sep 09 2018

Nice easy hike when you are short on time. We didn’t do the whole thing because of that reason, but it’s an easy hike up. Nice views of the city and mountains in the distance. Great workout

Sun Sep 09 2018

It was a good trail for hiking. Lots of rocks, didn't wear the proper shoes for this trail. Very nice work out and got the blood pumping. Would do this hike again.

Wed Sep 05 2018

Nice workout and decent views

Sun Aug 12 2018

Solid trail for a decent

Sun Jul 29 2018

I think this trail is more fun for mountain bikers but a good overall hike. Hot and sunny for most of it. Chance to see wildlife.