Peru Creek

Peru Creek is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dillon, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and cross country skiing and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 482 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Amazing trail to snowshoe. You feel like you’re walking in a winter wonderland! I only snowshoed to a little past the creek - was making it a quick one. You really don’t need snowshoes, the trail is very packed down! You do pass several avalanche paths depending on how far you go so just be alert!

ohv/off road driving

Today, 7/24/19, I arrived to a closed trail but within minutes, the BLM ranger opened the trail. First on the trail for this year! Wonderful simple drive. Chainsaw crew did a good job clearing a number of fallen trees, but overall a simple nice trail. Still had a small amount of snow in places but the trail was clear. The ranger advised not to do Chihuahua pass yet though.

Very pretty and easy hike. Lots of avalanche debris but still clear enough to hike through it. We were told there was a moose on the trail but never saw him. We did hear coyotes calling out to my dog near the end of the trail.

closed

On June 29, 2019, we hiked the entire closed road from Montezuma Road to the end gate (4 miles). After the relatively clear first 2 miles, we counted 15 major avalanche debris fields of snow and large trees, in addition to minor scattered debris. The parking lot before the end gate was totally buried and undetectable. These fields will required heavy equipment to clear. This road may not open this season.

We only went less than a mile uphill, found some camp grounds & followed the water. Absolutely breathtaking. Very Colorado!

Currently closed to vehicles. We hiked a couple miles up the road. Not a lot to see, but a nice hike through the woods. Easy walking, not very steep. Lots of snow next to road, and the creek was too high to cross except where the road crossed it. Side trails were covered in snow, so we didn’t try them. Mines off the road we’re all marked No Trespassing, so couldn’t explore. Only passed one dog off-leash, which was nice. A nice and easy hike with kids.

An excellent snowshoeing experience. Probably could have done without the snowshoes as the trail is pretty packed down, but for a novice like me I was happy to have the extra help. Trail is beautiful in the winter, lovely views after 1.5 miles through lovely forest. We turned around and went back the way we came just after crossing Peru Creek. We passed about 15 people total, so not completely secluded but definitely serene. Magical and highly recommended!

Tue Sep 25 2018

Excellent drive with great trailheads. goes much farther 5han map indicates. Stay untill you see pennsylvania mine. amazing to see. you could spend a few days exploring this area.

Fri Aug 17 2018

We hiked this on July 6. We went into this aware that it is a gravel road. We didn't see many cars, but it definitely would be more efficient to just drive up as far as you can. We went partway up the Lenawee Trail off of the road. There were some pretty epic views, but for my money I'd drive up next time and get farther on Lenawee.

Thu Aug 02 2018

Perfect hike if you’re just 13 weeks post op from your ACL surgery! The leg coming out of Montezuma is more of a footpath....shady and forested vs segment leaving from the Peru Creek turnoff which is just a dirt road.

Sat Jul 07 2018

we liked it for it being a smaller camp site. it has a variety of hiking trails and 4x4 trails the camp sites are beautiful.

Mon Jun 18 2018

This is an easy trail/walk with consistant footing. Very nice views. Would be good in the fall since there are Aspen in several locaions along the way. River sounds, birds, interesting mine tailings and remnants of mine activity. Good for kids and people not in the greatest of shape.

Sun Jul 02 2017

This is an access road to campsites, not a trail. A car drove past us about every 5 minutes making the conditions dusty and unpleasant.

Sun Jul 02 2017

Just so everyone knows in the summer this is a road not a trail. Full of vehicles and campers right off of it. More a road go to other passes than a trail at all. Was not even able to walk on the road with my dog due to the traffic and dust. I drove to the other end in the town of Montezuma to see if I could hike up there. There is no parking at that end, trail head is kind of in the backyard of a home so you would have to walk from town after you parked to this trail marker. I did not go down the trail as it is a walking or mountain bike only access at that point.

Mon May 22 2017

Moderate hike up 1.5 miles to the avalanche cabin. Wet snow.

Sat Aug 13 2016

This is one of my favorite places to go cross country skiing in the winter, and I decided to take my kids on the trail in the summer. It's absolutely beautiful in any season but it is a very different experience in the summer. In the winter it's isolated -maybe you'll run into one or two other skiers/snowshoers. In the summer there are cars and motorbikes on the road, which is a little annoying but understandable since it is, in fact, a road. I would definitely recommend this as a fun hike to do with kids -the abandoned mine/ cabin are really cool and the road makes it easy to walk. But if you are looking to really be in the woods, away from it all, I'd pick a different option (at least in the summer).

Tue Apr 05 2016

Went a few weeks ago, the snow was about 3 ft deep, but the snow in the trail was so compacted you can easily do this hike without ice cleats or snow shoes. Beautiful beautiful scenery, looked like a winter wonderland!

skiing