Peru Creek

Peru Creek is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dillon, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and cross country skiing and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

We hiked this on July 6. We went into this aware that it is a gravel road. We didn't see many cars, but it definitely would be more efficient to just drive up as far as you can. We went partway up the Lenawee Trail off of the road.
There were some pretty epic views, but for my money I'd drive up next time and get farther on Lenawee.

Perfect hike if you’re just 13 weeks post op from your ACL surgery! The leg coming out of Montezuma is more of a footpath....shady and forested vs segment leaving from the Peru Creek turnoff which is just a dirt road.

we liked it for it being a smaller camp site. it has a variety of hiking trails and 4x4 trails the camp sites are beautiful.

This is an easy trail/walk with consistant footing. Very nice views. Would be good in the fall since there are Aspen in several locaions along the way. River sounds, birds, interesting mine tailings and remnants of mine activity. Good for kids and people not in the greatest of shape.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

This is an access road to campsites, not a trail. A car drove past us about every 5 minutes making the conditions dusty and unpleasant.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Just so everyone knows in the summer this is a road not a trail. Full of vehicles and campers right off of it. More a road go to other passes than a trail at all. Was not even able to walk on the road with my dog due to the traffic and dust. I drove to the other end in the town of Montezuma to see if I could hike up there. There is no parking at that end, trail head is kind of in the backyard of a home so you would have to walk from town after you parked to this trail marker. I did not go down the trail as it is a walking or mountain bike only access at that point.

Monday, May 22, 2017

Moderate hike up 1.5 miles to the avalanche cabin. Wet snow.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

This is one of my favorite places to go cross country skiing in the winter, and I decided to take my kids on the trail in the summer. It's absolutely beautiful in any season but it is a very different experience in the summer. In the winter it's isolated -maybe you'll run into one or two other skiers/snowshoers. In the summer there are cars and motorbikes on the road, which is a little annoying but understandable since it is, in fact, a road. I would definitely recommend this as a fun hike to do with kids -the abandoned mine/ cabin are really cool and the road makes it easy to walk. But if you are looking to really be in the woods, away from it all, I'd pick a different option (at least in the summer).

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Went a few weeks ago, the snow was about 3 ft deep, but the snow in the trail was so compacted you can easily do this hike without ice cleats or snow shoes. Beautiful beautiful scenery, looked like a winter wonderland!

recorded Peru Creek