Pennsylvania Creek is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from December until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,456 feet Route Type: Out & Back

It may be a great trail but you still need snow shoes or skis. I tried hiking this one on May 1st and was post holing to my knee. Definitely will try again later in the year.

Beautiful trail, but it’s not well marked. It’s easy to follow the tracks along Penn Creek, but when it turns to ascend to the peak, we could not find the trail at all. Also, on the way to the peak there’s unstable snow and we fell into sinkholes in our snowshoes. For the rest of the season, I’d recommend sticking to Penn Creek only, which was lovely.

Beautiful scenery. It was hard packed for the first 1.5 miles, then there was about 3” on top of hard pack. We just used micro spikes. There is very little parking at the trailhead!

The snow on the trail was well packed for the first 2.25 miles and I was able to hike with just micro spikes. Beyond that skis or snowshoes were required. I started around 9:30 am and parking was still available and I saw few others on the trail until late morning on my way back. The views to the west are great.

Quiet trail. Great views. Snow packed down. Did not need snowshoes- stayed on trail. Great to be outside. Gradual climb up. Good to feel the heart beating. Perfect for a day off down hill skiing. Saw a hawk flying and heard woodpeckers chirping. Saw cross country skiers on trail and a darling dog with his mate. Could see quandary peak in the distance. Small parking lot.

Good fairly easy snowshoe trail. Very few other people on a holiday weekend Sunday. Didn’t make it all the way, but good packed snow, nice views of surrounding peaks. Recommended.

First but is challenging and not very scenic but then it levels out and you see wildflowers, stream and Mountain View. Took us 2 hours round trip to the sign that says road closed, and we took a couple breaks.

Hiked up to where it connects to 6113A on July 6 - no snow, fast-rushing creek and just gorgeous open meadow after the challenging initial climb. Encountered a few other hikers, some dirt bikes and a couple of off-road vehicles. Hiked again on July 13 past where it hooks to 6113A and whew, that's steep! Mostly mountain bikers today - all of whom were polite and not in the way of hikers. Kids 10 & 14 made it with only some whining on the way up given the steep grade. Recommend some poles, it's pretty rocky in places. Overall great hike; pretty quiet given it was 2 Saturdays I went.

Slightly muddy in some areas on July 5th. It was a peaceful, just enough challenge to get a good exercise in and nice morning at the top. You can hear the creek the entire time. Ran into a local with his two dogs- super friendly.

ohv/off road driving

Broke through the last of the snow drifts 7/2 in a Jeep with 12in clearance, still some very muddy spots, driving up overflowing creeks, and a few water holes. Probably needs at least a week to dry out, if not more. If I had know what I was going to be getting into mid connector I would have waited for it to dry. But it is open through the connector trail to Indiana Creek (running at about 12in at proper crossing) and up it onto Boreas Pass.

Hiked this trial today and only made it about 1/4 the way up due to extremely deep snow past that point. The first part is great and mostly dry expect for some snow patches that are easy to get around. Still too much snow for off-roading, but a nice hike with pretty views. Will probably be late July when this trail is totally dry.

Thu Feb 21 2019

Great hike. Trail is good for about 1/2. There is a turn that should take you across the river but it is covered with heavy snow. I keep straight, following ski tracks, up to about the tree line and the weather turned me around. I only saw one trail marker that said 61. If there are more they are under the snow.

Sat Jan 05 2019

Fun little morning winter hike. Brought snowshoes but didn't need them until we got to the last few turns. A few short steeper parts but overall fairly level hike.

Fri Jan 04 2019

Beautiful hike in the winter. Packed down as well.

Thu Jul 12 2018

The trail is closed 2/3 of the way in along the river, so you can keep walking up the road to the top. Ok hike. Scenery is ok.

Sun Aug 20 2017

This hike was such a pleasant surprise and the views at the top are amazing!!!!

Tue Jul 18 2017

Great trail.

Sat Jun 17 2017

A quiet hike, nobody else was on the trail. It's a easy walk along a 4X4 road. The map shows the trail branching off and we were unable to find the trail after going past the gate closing part of the road to vehicles. Overgrown brush along a large stream meant we could not see or find a trail crossing or on the other side of the river. We continued along the road which crossed the stream, we found a log and hoped the summit at another location. However the snow hampered our progress. However, great views and would do it again.

Tue Apr 18 2017

This was a fun hike with some friends who were visiting from out of town. Offered some great views for pictures, which was what we were looking for! We were the only ones there on a Saturday morning. Lots of snow- could have used snowshoes.

Wed Jun 29 2016