Penitente Canyon

Penitente Canyon is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Del Norte, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

This place was beautiful and the hike was not difficult. I don’t think the map on the app matches up with the actual trail in all places. One minute the app would show us on the trail and the next minute we’d be way off. Most of the trail was pretty well defined, but we found ourselves in some areas that were questionable as to where the trail was, as well as being overgrown with brush, and we went through some really steep, rocky spots. Luckily there were a lot of cairns along the way. Lots of offshoot trails as well. I loved the rock formations and the views and I would definitely do this hike again.

Definitely one of my favorite trails in the area. If you can climb to the top of the canyon, a beautiful view of the valley awaits you. Be very careful of rattlesnakes though. They are fairly common in the warmer seasons.

This was a great short hike. Something completely different...great rock formations and beautiful views.

We love Colorado and enjoy lots of hiking. This is an amazing trail. There are lots of tangents you can take. Three of my four kids climbed up most anything that could. The views are amazing.

First hiking and we loved it !Awesome

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Gorgeous views and scenery. Bring Off, lots of bugs on the trail, but honestly it's a bonus, means not well trafficked, and you'll see that when you are up there. I started on the Penitente Canyon route, then finished on Blue Sky, enjoyed having the option.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Beautiful

Thursday, November 06, 2014

What a beautiful place! Easy and relaxing walk.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Excellent mountain biking here. Fun and technical, similar to Mag 7 or Sovereign in Moab. Ride the A loop clockwise for a warmup. Then go back for a second lap and take Witches Canyon and return on the B loop.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Nice little hike up a narrow canyon with interesting rock formations. Saw some climbers, but the cliffs weren't high enough to make it exciting (although I am sure it felt much more exciting at the top of the cliff looking down). From the top, we explored mountain bike trails back to the trail head.

The trail was steep and rough in places, with loose rock and a bit of scrabbling. I wish I had taken a hiking pole to negotiate some of the less knee-friendly areas.

Sunday, March 12, 2017