Pearl Pass is a 22.7 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Aspen, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 22.7 miles Elevation Gain: 3,464 feet Route Type: Point to Point

closed

We took a hike up this road today as far as we could go, which was only about 1.3 miles one way. The avalanches along that 1 mile stretch were pretty destructive last winter. The last one, pretty much has the road shut down indefinitely. You can’t even see the road as it is buried in trees. Huge conifer trees were either sheared right off or were uprooted and are laying everywhere. I counted the rings on one that had been cut with a chainsaw in an effort to start clearing the road, it was 85 years old. That wasn’t the biggest of them either. Beyond that spot, which was just over 10k in elevation, the snow would put a damper on hiking any further. First day of summer, and it felt more like the first day of spring. Beautiful back here though and I will return when I can go further up the road. Some nice camp spots along that road too. The road is a little rough, so 4 x 4 would be necessary. Clearing this road for vehicle traffic will be a major project for sure, and it won’t happen this year from what we have read. I would assume that there are more avalanche paths above this spot too, so it won’t be easy. May need to put this one on the back burner and save it for another year.

off road driving

This was a great trail overall. We took it from Crested Butte over to Aspen. It had just rained and had mud puddles everywhere. The SW side of the pass on the CB side is beautiful with lots of wildlife. At the summit coming down towards Aspen, it gets rocky. There are a few obstacles, but it was easy. It took a while to do the whole trail. I will go back. 2015 JKUR lifted and with the right stuff

off road driving

Beautiful trail. Came up from CB and headed over to Aspen. Rockslide on the south side, but was able to crawl over it. After the pass was coming down and came into a 4-runner coming up. Super cool people. They backup up about 50yards and after a bit of scraped paint we went our way. Road is narrow. Some hard spots, but was able to do it all with a RTT. Definitely doing it again. The heights make my heart race a bit though!

Saturday, July 14, 2018

We did the drive from Aspen to Created Butte on this Jeep trail.. The scenery was a beautiful and the Jeep trail was great. There were some big rocks and narrow spots but overall a great drive. You’d need a 4x4 to do it because of the rocks and other obstacles. I did it in a 2018 Jeep Wrangler and it was effortless for it. There was a guy that came up in an older Montero and he did just fine. I think he’s done it before and has some experience though.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

We actually went up Cooper Creek Road which is the left fork at the end of Castle Creek Road (Pearl Pass goes off to the right.) Beautiful Sunday afternoon stroll. The old mining road is closed to motorized vehicles but open to hikers, mountain bikers, and horseback riders. It's in good condition and takes a gradual uphill grade for 5+ miles, at which point it gets much steeper as it climbs to the mine. There used to be a gate with a no trespassing sign at the base of the steep climb to the mine but if it still exists, we didn't make it that far. It snowed yesterday so the fall colors highlighted by the snow were spectacular. Other than two other parties at the beginning of our hike who we left behind quickly, we were alone for the entire time until we got back close to the parking lot. Expansive views with tons of photo opportunities.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Beautiful aspen turning on mostly smooth rounded peaks. nice smooth road, a few technical parts, we turned around before the actual pass tho (which is more difficult with a shale shelf road). few minor water crossings. panoramic views and gorgeous scenery abounds. Minor traffic, mostly motorcycles and bikes.

Thursday, August 13, 2015

This area is completely gorgeous. We did not have the proper information and attempted to summit from the north which, in our Xterra PRO4X was unachievable because of a 15 foot area of slide rock with a huge incline. Maybe from the south, but coming down would still be hairy. Camping on the north side will be amazing in the future, as we will go back to the area for sure, really breathtaking, ample private turn-offs for backwoods camping while being surrounded by stunning and huge peaks.

Friday, October 18, 2013

I 4 wheeled this pass while my husband Mtn biked it. There are some very technical parts and places that you must walk your bike. We went early October so the leaves where beautiful lots of snow at the top. Great views! You must be a little crazy to Mtn bike this trail which is why my husband does it! :)

Friday, September 14, 2012