Peaks Trail

Peaks Trail is a 15.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Frisco, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 15.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,735 feet Route Type: Out & Back

bike touring

This is a classic out and back trail that you can start from either Frisco or Breckenridge. This trail description starts at the trailhead near Main St. in Frisco.

Hiked from Barton Road access to Frisco. The Barton path is not shown correctly. It is actually a loop that doesn’t intersect Peaks. Fortunately another hiker told me that and pointed me to a faint path that goes west and connects. From there, the trail was terrific until intersected by a new logging road. At that point I couldn’t find the Peaks Trail and ended up detouring until I found Colorado trail and got back on track.

Can be long but nothing hard about it.

Trail is extremely busy up to Rainbow Lake. We hiked about 2 miles further to a gorgeous vista of the Ten Mile Range. Fall colors are spectacular!

Hiked from Breck to Frisco. Staying in Frisco so took (free) bus from Frisco Main St to Breck bus station. Then took the Black route bus, free again, to Station 7 right at far end of Ski Hill Rd. Walked 200m further straight ahead to TH. Bit of a challenge for this 72 year old but it's not a difficult hike. Sunny day so grateful for tree shade most of the way. Not that many views which was a bit disappointing. Highly populated by bikers.

Hiked from Breckenridge to Fresco, mostly downhill with great views. Well marked and easy hike.

Love this hike

Did this trail today from Frisco to Breck. Enjoyed every bit of it. Next time I will start in Breck, ride to Frisco since it's all downhill, then ride the rec path back to Breck.

I ran/hiked this with my dog. Amazing views and fantastic trail. It’s uphill from Frisco to Breck so I recommend starting in Frisco so it’s easier on the return when you’re tired. I would call it moderate rather than hard- the inclines and declines are pretty gentle and the trail is very well maintained. You can branch out to Copper and many other trails. Highly recommend, fantastic trail.

Breck to Frisco on my mountain bike. Fun, pretty and challenging. Finding parking at the the trail head in Breck was a bit of a nightmare

Went out late morning with the fam (kids 6 and 4). It was a little too challenging for the 4 yo, but she did ok. A lot of beautiful woods and wild flowers! Not many scenic overlooks but we only went 2 miles out and back.

I assume it is marked as difficult starting in Frisco due to the incline. It is only rated moderate if you start in Breck. Great hike not too technical. Was mostly dry with some muddy parts. Well marked and maintained. We did this hike with my 16 year old son and we finished in 4 hours. I wore tennis shoes and had no trouble. Lots of moose, elk and deer tracks, but no wildlife to be seen. We got a late start at 10am.

Great trail with many places to filter a quick drink. 45 and 11 year old from Fargo completed in 7.5 hours. Saw 2 moose up close on the trip up.

Hiked from Breck to Frisco in about 4.5 hours. Several areas still had snow drifts, hiking boots would have been a slightly better choice. Lovely hike. Even saw 3 moose near Rainbow Lake.

Trail in good conditions pretty easy hike just long. Muddy in some parts but overall nice hike!

Started on the Breck end. Still some some snow and mud. Lots of tree roots and rocks so watch footing. Hiking. Boots recommended but doable in tennis shoes. Clears up about halfway to Frisco. Follow blue diamond trail markers at the 2 forks. More of a walk than a hike. I assume it’s ranked difficult due to length. Bikers and hikers with dogs use the trail also.

Completed this hike yesterday with tennis shoes and found good walking conditions! I wouldn’t rate this as difficult though, closer to easy/moderate since the elevation change is very gradual and you’re never really climbing. About 85% of the trail is dry and clear but you will encounter some snow, mud, and snow runoff streams along the path (the majority being in the last ~3 miles as you approach Breck). Really nice views and a great mix of forest and open space!

It took us midwesterners 5.5 hours to hike from Frisco to Breck. We are guessing the snow slowed us down about an hour. Lots of slushy piles, but fairly navigable in boots...although I wish I had put my YakTrax in my backpack. At a few points I needed poles (but hadn’t brought them) so I found a stick which worked fine. Beautiful scenery and lots of flowing water. Plenty of blue diamond markers the entire way. Our recording says we hiked 9 miles, but the signs in Frisco said 8 miles and the sign at the end in Breck said 10 miles. Not sure what's up with that. Either way, we'll definitely do this again once the snow melts!

Still snow packed on June 3rd this year but was well marked and I look forward to doing it again. Also only went about a third of the way then turned back.

Snow packed, did not use snow shoes, but could have been beneficial in areas. Went early enough that the snow was packed well from the cold. Would definitely do again.

Wonderful trail. Beautiful forest with mountain streams running through. We hiked from Frisco to the Breckinridge trailhead. Hiked Feb. 5 in packed snow trail. Beautiful forest path with a significant uphill trek that leveled off more reasonably about 5 miles in. Upside was very few people on trail and we were the only footprints for the interior 5 miles or so. The only downside was if you stepped off the single path trail just a tiny bit you postholed up to your thigh! Also it would be a good idea to pack in snowshoes on your back in case it snowed and you lost the tail. At the end, we rode the free Gondola down to the Breckinridge ski parking lot and caught the Purple Line free shuttle to Frisco which dropped you off about 5 blocks from your car at the Frisco Trail Head.

Thu Dec 27 2018

Hiked Breck to Frisco in about 4-1/2 hrs. Easy to follow trail that was pretty well packed. Didn’t need snow shoes. Not a hard hike.

Mon Oct 08 2018

Breck trailhead just past peak 7 base. Easy hike with little elevation through beautiful forests

Wed Sep 12 2018

A very beautiful trail not too steep but pretty long. I turned around because I thought I was hiking Mount Royal.

Wed Sep 12 2018

Don’t be put off by the start of the trailhead at Peak 7 saying 10.0miles. We assumed that included the first 2.0 miles from central Breckenridge-not Peak 7. In fact most of the mileage boards were confusing. Some referenced 10.0miles and some referenced the more accurate 8.0miles (almost 9 Miles to Frisco Main Street) Mostly wooded walk with very little up and down until you reach about 1.5 Miles from Frisco when it is a gently downhill to the Rainbow Lake. Good walk at 10,000’ with only a few views but the whole walk was beautiful. Worth doing at any time of year.

Sat Sep 08 2018

Hiked Breckenridge to Frisco today - beautiful sunny day, started out 9:30 a.m. or so. Staying in Frisco so took the bus to Breckenridge, and the gondola up. Had trouble staying on trail at first - ended up on a road twice. Lots of large groups at first near Peak 7 lodges. Very forested for the first couple miles. Then came the mountain bikers, lots of them. All were super courteous but after a while I started to worry about corners and blind spots. I used poles for some of the time but I didn't see many other hikers with them. Sun became brutal for the last couple miles. All in all, I took my time and enjoyed myself. As a hiker I felt outnumbered by bikers.

Wed Jul 18 2018

Question for those who have done Peaks Trail from Frisco to Breckenridge: Parking in Frisco? We will be driving into Frisco and want to park and hike to Breckenridge and then take the shuttle back. Looking for a safe place to leave the car overnight that is close enough to get on the trail. We intend to hike halfway in on a Friday, camp overnight, and then finish to Breckenridge in the morning. Anyone done this before? thoughts? Thanks in advance!