Peaks Trail

Peaks Trail is a 15.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a classic out and back trail that you can start from either Frisco or Breckenridge. This trail description starts at the trailhead near Main St. in Frisco.

Question for those who have done Peaks Trail from Frisco to Breckenridge: Parking in Frisco? We will be driving into Frisco and want to park and hike to Breckenridge and then take the shuttle back. Looking for a safe place to leave the car overnight that is close enough to get on the trail. We intend to hike halfway in on a Friday, camp overnight, and then finish to Breckenridge in the morning. Anyone done this before? thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Hiked Frisco to Breckinridge. 8.3 miles one way, took the gondola down to town for food. Beautiful trail, very well marked and maintained. All creeks were running so the sound and sights were just perfect. No snow but a few muddy spots.

Not sure why it’s rated as Hard — perhaps the round trip. One way I’d “downgrade” it to a Moderate.

Beautiful well marked trail mostly along the stream. Entered White River National Forest about 2 miles in.

Solid 8 mile hike we did breck to Frisco. Enjoyed some downhill. This is a great hike when there is still snowmelt on some other good trails in the area. No snow melt or issues well maintained.

Just hiked from Frisco to Breck...solid 8 mile hike to get in some conditioning before summer backpacking. We were moving comfortably and it took us about 3 and 1/2 hours. Not many views or epic vistas as it’s pretty forested the entire time. When we got to the trailhead in Breck, we were still actually 2.5 miles from mainstreet, but we discovered there is a free shuttle that runs from that resort right there to take you down into town. We also discovered that if you need a beer afterwards, you can call Broken Compass brewery shuttle and they will pick you up for free and take you to their brewery. Overall, would recommend this trail for conditioning, but I’m sure there are others in the area that would be better for photos...still had a great time!

We caught the trailhead in Breckenridge and hiked in about 3.8 miles before turning around. Round trip (7.6 miles) took us 3 hours. It was not difficult and there weren’t many people which was fantastic. Most of the snow was melted - but there were a few patches here and there. Loved how the stream crossed the trail in numerous places. Only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 was because there weren’t a lot views - it was mostly forest. But still gorgeous!

Ran part of this trail out and back. Rocky/beautiful/steep in places....as a flat lander it was a push to get the run in...lots of huffin and puffin but very glad to have spent some time on the Peaks!

The trail started just outside of our resort in Breckenridge. Great trail in mid-Spring with some snow and great views. Hopped the free bus back to Breck and the hotel. Looking forward to the next trip!

If you take the Ten Mile Peak trail towards town (just past Rainbow Lake), it will cut off a little time.

Really fun, moderate trail. I went Frisco to Breck. It was a modest gain and definitely doable. As of today, the trail is 80% snow covered. The snow is packed pretty good through the center of the trail, so no snowshoes or yak tracks needed. I brought both with me and didn’t end up using them. You can definitely knock it out with a set of hiking sticks. You’re gonna post hole a couple dozen times, so expect your shoes to get wet. From TH to TH, just under 8 Miles. The snow is gonna slow you down a bit, so plan accordingly. Overall, it was a great hike!! Definitely will do again.

This was a real challenge on my bike. Rugged terrain, rocks, boulders, tree roots etc.

walked from the Breck side in for 1 hour. we made it just pass a large water tank. lots of varied scenery- Open for long view forest, to dense shadowed paths. it was beautiful!!

Walked trail yesterday with our dog and it was so nice! Streams were amazing and foliage is just starting to turn.

One of the best trails I ever hiked!

great hike, fun loop. passes through peak 2 burn area.

Amazing views. One minute you are among 200 foot trees and in a tunnel, then it opens to a beautiful wide open view of the mountains near the ranch. Lots of water along the way for your dog.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

FYI...THIS TRAIL IS CLOSED DUE TO THE PEAK 2 FIRE IN BRECK

Thursday, June 22, 2017

First time really mountain biking (been casually riding most of my life). Ill NEVER forget this ride. So awesome.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Breckenridge to Frisco is the easier downhill direction, I think most people take that way and catch a bus ride back to town. We went from Frisco to Breckenridge and back. Took most of the day. Intense climbing in spots. An older man hiking kept up with us most of the way. We rode down to town and ate lunch and had to ride back up to the trail head. We're from Kansas so it was hard. Rained the whole way back.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

great

Monday, July 11, 2016

Ran from Frisco to Breck. Very hard first 4 or 5 miles. But very beautiful trail and well maintained.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Fantastic! Beautiful day, lots of elements - creeks, rocks, flowers, views, and even a Moose! As far as we can tell it's actually a 10 mile hike!

Thursday, June 16, 2016

We walked the entire trail from Breck to Frisco with my 9 year old. Really nice walk, mostly downhill going in this direction. Took lots of breaks and walked pretty slow. It took us 5 hours from point to point. There is no snow on this trail

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

My 9 year old and I hiked about 3 miles into the trail and had a fantastic time. So beautiful! Met friendly people along the way, some walking dogs, some on bikes. Varying terrain kept the walk really interesting.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Only did 2.4 miles of the trail we went with my cousin and his kids and the kids lost interest fast but what we did was really great!!!! Will defiantly do it again!!

Monday, July 20, 2015

Hiked this trail from Breckenridge to Frisco yesterday and enjoyed it but got conflicting and inaccurate info about trailheads so wasted a little time searching. In Breckenridge, exit gondola at peak 7, go around to front of hotels, turn left and follow Ski Hill Rd north, trailhead is on left past Grand Lodge. From behind hotels access is not marked and difficult to find if you are unfamiliar with area. In Frisco, turn right then left out of parking lot, main street is about 4 blocks ahead. Cross Main and turn right to catch bus back to Breck, stop is currently on Main between 6th and 7th avenues. Once on trail, it was well marked and pleasant although a little crowded with mountain bikers.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

I have only hiked sections of this trail as it's super long but it's beautiful no matter where u jump on !! Bring a camera !!

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Great 10m hike through snow fields and frozen streams. Would have brought ski shoes but overall the best winter hike we have ever done.

Saturday, September 06, 2014

I learned what "technical trail" means on this BIKE ride. I'm usually a hiker, but for my birthday I attempted to bike this from Breck to Frisco. I crashed twice. LOL Got some nice bruises. Its a TOUGH trail to bike, wish I'd hiked it, but wanted it to go faster for other birthday day plans.

Disappointed that you are cut off from the views of the spectaular Breckenridge mountains for the majority of the hike - one area is barren from needing to be cut down due to a tree disease.

All that said, it is worth doing and glad I did it.

NOTE: It is better to go from Breckenridge TO Frisco, than Frisco to Breck, as B to F is mostly downhill, I wouldn't want to have done it in the other direction.

There are some beautiful resting spots along the way. And its popular so a bit crowded.

Trailhead is right at the Grand Lodge on Peak 7 - if you aren't an owner there, it is worth a look inside. Just a tip.

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

I really enjoy mountain biking this trail in either direction. It is a beautiful trail with some challenging spots, but nothing that can't be conquered. You can also use make it a loop by using Ski Hill Rd and the Breck-Frisco Pathway. If you want to go in the clockwise direction, you can ride the gondola up to peak 7 instead of riding up (I do this when I am taking less experienced bike riders with me, as they will enjoy the Breck to Frisco direction more than the opposite direction). You can do some other loops if you use Gold Hill trail.

Monday, April 07, 2014

This trail was a lot of fun on snowshoes. Going from Breck to Frisco it's pretty mellow. It seems like there's less climbing than going the other direction. If you park in the Gondola parking lot in Breck you can take the gondola up right near the trailhead and then take a bus from Frisco to get back to the lot.