Pawnee Buttes Trail

Pawnee Buttes Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grover, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 364 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Ft. Morgan, take Main St.(52) north out of town to Hwy. 14.,Turn left(west) to New Ramer. From Sterling take Hwy. 14(west) to New Ramer. From New Ramer, drive north on Co. Rd. 129 to Co. Rd. 110. Turn left(west) on this road and follow it to the Pawnee Buttes.

Pretty far out but was nice to not have a ton of crowds! Worth seeing at least once!!

private property

Great time. Overall hiked 6miles. Would go back. Buttes were perfect. Overall 5 people out there. Very little traffic which is awesome. Had a great breeze keeping us going. Only went to the first tower of time.

Highlight of my summer adventures . Camped out the night before at Crow Valley Campground and enjoyed the 3/4 Full Moon , crickets, and the company of my dear father and four legged companion and protector . Slept soundly even though temps were beginning to dip at night due to the changing of seasons . Headed northeast to Pawnee Butte trailhead. We were surprisingly greeted by roaming cattle as we drew near the national grasslands and at the parking lot ! Literally another world when you venture into the Buttes . We tested out our backpacking gear and physical strength . Ample and extra water is advised as the sun drains your energy quickly in the plains. Sun screen is a must as well. Gorgeous sunny but moderately warm day . Rock formations were intergalatic , the history behind the formation of the Buttes was even more interesting to find out . We had lunch in a sweet spot up top, overlooking Wyoming and Nebraska to our north. Spending a day wasn’t enough time , very grateful for what we did share. Will be back next spring and summer to bird watch as well

Returned for a redo. Loved it the first time and still do. Nice trailhead with shelter and pit toilet. Car camping numerous opportunities the National Grasslands adjacent to the trailhead. Low traffic nice views.

I enjoyed the trail, it was a unique landform and an interesting environment. For sure worth at least one visit!

Such an amazing hike! The views are so unique and gorgeous. There is no water at all, so bring your own. Don't forget your sunscreen! Going up and over the rock formations was so worth it, but I wouldn't take kids younger than 10. It was incredibly windy, but it was a nice way to cool down. We went on a warm day in August. Our kids were too young to make it all the way out and back, so we did about 2/3 of the trail and plan to go back in a few years when they can finish it.

private property

Trail was beautiful and very quiet. It is hard to follow in certain areas. Be careful on the dirt roads leading to the trailhead. Lots of trucks flying through there. Would definitely do the trail again!

We’ve hiked this trail twice in the past few years—always in the summer. This time we got to go up and over the area that is protected Mar-July. Great views. My only sore point was the rattlesnake...he chose to evade fortunately. We want to come back in the winter and snowshoe!

Good easy trail. Great views of the prairie. It's a long drive out there but worth it. I camped out there the night before and started the trail at about 6:20. I suggest starting early because as soon as the sun came out from behind the clouds it started to warm up very quickly.

Getting to the TH is on a decent dirt road (I was in my ‘67 Vdub bus). There are plenty of covered picnic tables (but they were all occupied by cows) and there is a vault at the TH. I forgot to turn on my app hike tracker. Only reason I gave it 4 stars rather than 5 is because I wish the hike was longer. When I did this hike last week ago, the bluffs were closed for Raptor breeding. That trail is closed March 1-June 30, and when open, it goes over the bluffs and picks up the Buttes trail on the other side. Taking the Pawnee Buttes trailhead is a beautiful trail embracing unique features of rock formation and dried river bed (only spot on the trail that is shaded by a few trees) as well as the vast green open space of the prairie. The lush rolling green contrasted stunningly against the blue sky and the dark clouds of a storm to the north. It was a nice drive out and back, and seeing the grasslands and Buttes have been on my bucket list. While it’s a short hike (5 miles), it does get hot, so take plenty of water. The upside, not nearly the crowds that you’ll encounter in the foothills or high country. Trail is off leash verbal command trained dog friendly as long as it doesn’t bother livestock.

The trail is easy to follow. Nice views and rocks formations. Some wild flowers and obviously it’s not peak season. The trail has no shade so use sunscreen and a hat comes in handy. Once you get off of Hwy 14 know that you’ll be driving on few unpaved roads with lots of trucks.

Nice 4.5 mile out and back hike in solitude with meadowlarks singing. Cloudy, upper 30s and light breeze with damp soil after a brief shower.

Pretty easy with nice views

Pretty scenery but a far drive. Dispersed camping near the trail head. No trash cans at trail head. Very easy hike. Worth the drive one time. Only saw 2 other groups on the trail. Quiet and beautiful.

Super windy about 20 to 30 mph winds. We thought about going over the high route but the rock bridges seemed scary with that much wind. But the lower trail worked well and we got to both buttes. Had Townsend solitaire, and raven. Hike was not hard but the wind made it more difficult

We enjoyed Pawnee Buttes on a beautiful 50 degree Sunday in January. We left the parking lot and headed down to the the fork and took the right path onto Lips Bluff Trail, up and over enjoying the amazing views. We rejoined the main trail and hiked to the both bluffs and back along the main trail back to the parking lot. Very unique landscape in the plains of NE Colorado. We hiked with our son and two dogs And they all loved it. A great winter option for us that live in NOCO.

Best to go on a cooler day. The hike to all the Buttes is worth it!

Monday, September 03, 2018

Very pretty trail, especially at sunrise! Quiet and serene.