Pawnee Buttes Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(153)
Pawnee National Grassland

Pawnee Buttes Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grover, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 364 feet Route Type: Out & Back

private property

From Ft. Morgan, take Main St.(52) north out of town to Hwy. 14.,Turn left(west) to New Ramer. From Sterling take Hwy. 14(west) to New Ramer. From New Ramer, drive north on Co. Rd. 129 to Co. Rd. 110. Turn left(west) on this road and follow it to the Pawnee Buttes.

private property

Easy hike, very cool rock formations!

If you picture the American West at its best, it's pretty close to this! Sweeping views, cool wind, and beautiful rock formations. Crowded on a Sunday at 10 am, but not in-your-face crowded. Restrooms still locked due to COVID-19 restrictions.

Started at about 8:30a on a Wednesday and had the trail to myself the whole way out. Passed three people on the way back. Gorgeous walk! Very peaceful. Lovely bird songs. Brought the pup along - she loved it.

My kids and I were highpointing this weekend and stopped here as a nice break from all the driving. This trail was more than I expected and the scenery was amazing! Besides the incredible wind, it was an easy trail and well worth the stop!!

So much to see. Not what I expected. Will definitely return.

Excellent choice for a social distancing getaway! Note that the shorter trail is closed for wildlife protection until 6/30, so the full out-and-back trail is more like 6 miles, not 4.7. Enjoyed the walk!

private property

The buttes are beautiful. The road to the trail requires 4 wheel drive right now - lots of mud with drifting snow making invisible deep ruts. We had very strong wind and snow on the trail but otherwise very pretty. Bathrooms closed for covid-19.

recorded Recording - Mar 29, 12:23 PM

If your looking for social distancing trials, due to Covid19, this is not the place. We got here at 9:00 am and saw one person. When we left at 12 noon, there were at least 50 coming in. I’ve never seen the trail head so packed. That being said, we do love this trail.

closed

Hiked this trail on a Tuesday morning in March. The trail was easy to follow and well maintained. The immense views made it fun to watch the weather forming out East. A few of the areas are closed March 1-June to protect the nesting habitat for birds of prey.

I drove here from Denver on a Sunday not expecting too much, but was blown away by this place. It's a hidden gem in the middle of nowhere with the look and feel of a miniature Badlands. The buttes themselves are very picturesque but there are also a lot of canyons and other formations to see and explore. On a 40 degree day in February, with no crowds and the place to yourself, it makes for an ideal winter hike. I love hiking in the mountains in summer and get the winter hiking blues, so this was an ideal remedy. The trail is easy to follow and provides a great tour of the area. I really enjoyed my day here, as did my dog, who wasn't required to be on a leash. At the end, I came upon a National Forest Ranger who had a great talk with me about the area. 10/10 day

Nice easy trail. Very pretty landscape features. Will be coming back some day for better pictures.

Sketchy drive, middle of nowhere, amazing views. The buttes are impressive. Less poop and people in winter.

High winds and cold temperatures.

This trail was just gorgeous. This was a hike i’ve wanted to do for a while and a beautiful forecast on the winter solstice sounded like a perfect time. My 7 year old and I had a really great time scrambling around snow and mud in the badlands area and ultimately decided not to walk all the way to the buttes. We took the route back to the parking lot that took you to the top of a sandstone ridge. We weren’t expecting the narrow path with sheer drops on either side but I was able to coax my daughter through it and it looks much scarier than it is. The road to the trailhead could use a little work but my Hyundai Accent with its whole 4 inches of clearance made it so so I think anyone could probably get through it. I highly recommend this trail in the winter, it was nice to not worry about rattlers.

Why go in December? No bugs, no snakes, no crowd, no need for sunscreen, no cattle hogging the shade structures, frozen (non aromatic) cow pies, no heat stroke, and enhanced depth effect with a light snow. The roads in were good enough with a light 2WD pickup. That won’t be the case with a fresh snow and I don’t imagine mud is any better. I had a 30 degree day with light breeze. Perfect. Trails are clear enough. There’s usualy at least one bar of 2g incase you need to text a buddy in Singapore for help. Microwave the pies for 7 minutes at half power if you want that part of the experience.