New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Pavilion Point

Pavilion Point is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Silver Plume, Colorado that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 997 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Completed September 30, great spot for leaf peeping.

Great easy hike on a beautiful fall day. Colors spectacular. We did a one-way from Silver Plume to the Guanella Pass road where we had parked cars in advance. However, the way down from Pavilion Pont was busy with 4-wheelers, some of them quite obnoxious. Better just go up and back.

Good trail, as described, no bear today. Took us 2 hours 17 mins round trip including a few minutes at the top. Lots of tree hiking with some views near/at the top. Recommend as a simple and rather easy hike for seeing Fall foliage.

A BEAUTIFUL HIKE: Aspen near peak! Aspen are a combination of yellow & green with a carpet of yellow leaves on the trail. The first part of the trail is easy to hike so any ability would be good, despite it being uphill. Traffic noise is loud in the beginning. It is cool to hear the Georgetown train chugging along below and it's whistle can be heard along most of the hike. When the trail takes a hairpin right,it becomes steeper, rocky and more narrow. We were awed at the beauty. Pavilion Point is a good spot for a break before returning. No bear sighting.

Not too steep. Awesome when leaves are changing. A little rocky for marathon, bc I got sloppy and tripped and fell. But, I’m not ready for 14.8 mile, 890 feet elevation, runs and pushed myself too hard.

Descent short hike. Incline is pretty gradual and trail in great condition. Ok views at the top. No bear sighting today. Only saw 3 other people on the trail.

No bear encounters.

The trail is fine, but there is a very ballsy bear who seems to be kind of territorial around mile one, after you pass two mining pipe sites. I was sitting quietly and he was walking by… I picked up some stones and rocks and stuff and started to yell, but he just stood still and snorted at me like I was nothing. Then, still yelling and holding sticks and rocks I slowly started to back away and walk away. He had the balls to follow me for a while, at a respectable distance though. I probably won’t go that far up the trail alone again.

❤️

Great lesser travel trail with some road noise. Not bad for dogs but a warning. I've been here 10-15 times and never seen a bear until this past weekend. A large black bear was walking down the trail and was a little stubborn to scare off the trail. I had 3 dogs with me at the time and my voice raised seemed to do the trick.

For a cross country / nordic ski trail, this is hard to beat. First, it is fairly close to Denver, so even in heavy winter I-70 traffic the driving time is not too bad. Second, the first 3 miles up you can hear I-70 noise, but if you take a right where the chimney is, that is a lovely trail that leads to Leavenworth Creek Rd in about 1 mile which you can take for longer. The traffic noise stops as soon as your bear right at the chimney. Third, it is not a very difficult trail with skis. It is way better with skis than walking. (For an easier ski trail in the area, the Bakerville Loveland trail is quite easy.) Fourth, the snow retention here is decent. Driving up, there was no snow until right before it, and I was expecting to have to drive by to higher elevation, but suddenly the snow volume increases right after Georgetown. I was glad I stopped here because there was enough

Sat Dec 15 2018

I'd put this on easier side of moderate, parking is kind of sketch

Mon Sep 17 2018

So. Much. Road. Noise. Aside from that it was a pretty hike with interesting mining landmarks, low foot traffic, easy to find and a few good views

Sat Mar 18 2017

Heavy traffic noise from I-70 the entire way detracted from the experience

Mon Oct 10 2016

I give it a 3.5 because I might go back to camp up there were the chimney is at and it was cool hearing the horn of the railroad train and watching it from a distance. It did have some nice views too although most of the hike is surrounded by trees from both sides. There were some old gold mine sites that were fun to look at and this trail was likely originally used to transport ore down the mountain.

Sat Jun 20 2015

I'm shocked there is not a review about this hike! I really loved this hike and I really didn't expect to. Its starts in Silver Plume, opposite end of the same street as the Georgetown-Silver Plume Train. Super easy incline, the trail itself is actually an old railroad track bed so despite how high you go its not all that strenuous. When I went in May, there was still a little bit of snow at the higher elevation to go around but really nothing to that made me think I should turn around. The trail is speckled with old mining ruins and mine tailings. One would call this a downside, but I think it added character to the hike. You can hear the train when its makes its loop. My poor dogs were confused briefly by it but I enjoyed trying to spot the train from different viewpoint, kind of like I-Spy. At the start of the trail you can hear I-70 but the noise pollution does taper off. I did not run into a single soul on the trail, which is was one of the best things about this trail. Once you get to the Pavilion Point, there are a few dispersed campsites. the Pavilion Point used to be a Summertime Retreat that folks back in the day came to escape from the Summer heat. All that stands now its a lovely chimney and fireplace. By the looks of it, you could still make a fire in it today. If you continue past the chimney you will get spit out on to Guanella Pass. This trail links up with Leavenworth Creek Rd. You could continue on that up to Waldorf is my understanding. I will be back to this trail many times over and I will try to camp here soon!

recorded Pavilion Point