Pavilion Point

Pavilion Point is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Silver Plume, Colorado that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from December until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Heavy traffic noise from I-70 the entire way detracted from the experience

Monday, October 10, 2016

I give it a 3.5 because I might go back to camp up there were the chimney is at and it was cool hearing the horn of the railroad train and watching it from a distance. It did have some nice views too although most of the hike is surrounded by trees from both sides. There were some old gold mine sites that were fun to look at and this trail was likely originally used to transport ore down the mountain.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

I'm shocked there is not a review about this hike! I really loved this hike and I really didn't expect to. Its starts in Silver Plume, opposite end of the same street as the Georgetown-Silver Plume Train. Super easy incline, the trail itself is actually an old railroad track bed so despite how high you go its not all that strenuous. When I went in May, there was still a little bit of snow at the higher elevation to go around but really nothing to that made me think I should turn around. The trail is speckled with old mining ruins and mine tailings. One would call this a downside, but I think it added character to the hike. You can hear the train when its makes its loop. My poor dogs were confused briefly by it but I enjoyed trying to spot the train from different viewpoint, kind of like I-Spy. At the start of the trail you can hear I-70 but the noise pollution does taper off. I did not run into a single soul on the trail, which is was one of the best things about this trail. Once you get to the Pavilion Point, there are a few dispersed campsites. the Pavilion Point used to be a Summertime Retreat that folks back in the day came to escape from the Summer heat. All that stands now its a lovely chimney and fireplace. By the looks of it, you could still make a fire in it today. If you continue past the chimney you will get spit out on to Guanella Pass. This trail links up with Leavenworth Creek Rd. You could continue on that up to Waldorf is my understanding. I will be back to this trail many times over and I will try to camp here soon!

Sunday, April 16, 2017