Pass Creek and Coal Creek Loop Trail

Pass Creek and Coal Creek Loop Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Silverton, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

2040 feet

rock climbing

skiing

snowboarding

I hiked this loop clockwise. I'm not sure why the previous reviewer said they couldn't find a campsite. The meadows contain many places to camp. There was even a premade fire pit at the junction of Coal Creek Trail and the spur from Engineer Mountain Trail. Beautiful hike as wildflowers were in full bloom.

My husband and I set out for an overnight backpacking adventure. We've hiked the pass creek trail to Engineer base/ "the meadow" several times in previous summers. We took a right where pass creek trail ends and followed until we looped around to coal creek trail. The wildflowers were beautiful! (See photos) we decided to hike back to highway 550 since we couldn't find a place to camp and it was getting cold. Coal creek trail is somewhat steep at times. Nothing major, but where there's steepness there isn't a flat spot to camp. Really enjoyed this dayhike!

Thursday, October 03, 2013

We parked in the lot across from the marker for Coal Bank Pass. The trail steadily climbs up to Engineer Mountain. You go through meadows, forest, past a lake, cross small streams and come out in an alpine meadow. The view of the surrounding mountain ranges is incredible. This was a busy trail, very popular.
If there has been rain, it is very muddy and slippery.