Parika Lake Trail

Parika Lake Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Walden, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Granby: Follow Highway 40 west to Highway 34. Go north on Hwy 34 to Rocky Mountain National Park's West Entrance. From the park entrance, follow Trail Ridge Road for 6.4 miles to the Bowen/Baker Trailhead parking area. For the most direct access, hike the Baker Pass Trail 4 miles, to the junction with the Parika Lake Trail

Beware if hiking with a dog!

Ah, this was so disappointing. My husband and I, along with our dog, Breeze, were really excited to do this trail. When we got to the parking lot the directions took us and realized we were still in RMNP, we got nervous. The ranger near the parking lot told us dogs aren’t allowed and recommended we got to the visitor center for alternate route. We only had to go about 1mile from the parking lot to get into the National Forest. The ranger at the visitor center wasn’t sure and said we’ll just have to try to navigate thru the roads. Unfortunately we spent 2hrs in the car trying to find a way to the trailhead that isn’t thru Rocky Mountain. We had to give up after the 2hr mark. It was such a bummer because it was such a waste of time. Maybe add to the description that it’s a dog friendly trail but only if you’re able to access the TH thru the NF only.

Did this backpacking trip July 2017. The hike up is very steep in many spots and too many streams to cross to even count. There are tons of wildflowers along the trail and there is a pretty large rock fall to hike through. We saw a mother moose and her calf and a male at dusk up at the lake. Very strenuous hike but worth the work as the lake is a beautiful, clear alpine lake above treeline. There were 3 other groups when we got there but there are plenty of areas to pitch a tent.

One of my favorite hikes I’ve done in Colorado. Great variety in scenery, good chance of seeing wildlife (moose, elk, black bear), incredible lake, and stunning views from the top of the divide. Plus there are very few people around, even during long weekends. Bring lots of water!

This is a one of kind alpine hike with lots of wildflowers, waterfalls, streams and wildlife located in the Never Summer Wilderness on the west side of Trail Ridge Road shortly north of Grand Lake. Parking is Located at the Bowen Baker Trailhead. This was one of my first hikes after recently moving to Colorado in July of 2016, it was a beautiful clear day and i got an early start up the trail with no other hikers around. As you make your way up the Grand Ditch trail a littler over 2 miles you come up to a 4x4 road and a stream that run parallel to each other the trail continues across the stream in which the rest of the way up to Parika Lake is steep uphill terrain. This hike took me approximately 6 hours as i also hiked to the pass above the lake for excellent views on both sides. Be sure to where hiking boots with good ankle support and bring plenty of water or a water purifier, there is plenty of streams to fill up on. I rate this hike a 4/5 for difficulty and 5/5 for scenic views. Follow me on Instagram for more mountain photography