Red Rocks Trail

Red Rocks Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Woodland Park, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Beautiful red sandstone rock formations in forested area. After going through the opening in the fence. Head for the path beneath the power lines and follow it South East until just before a short steep section. Look to your left and you will see the Red Rocks formations. There are many trails in, around, and over these rock formations so these directions are just general guidelines. Exploring the many alcoves and cracks of these formations can be a lot of fun. Walk around the South Eastern side of the Red Rocks and follow the line of formations until you either reach a fence or have gone as far as you would like. Then cross through the formations to their northern side and look for a trail that heads back to the parking lot. It is easy to get turned around in this area so remember that if you want to head back, go downhill. That will lead you back to the parking lot. This area is beautiful to look at and explore year round. The easy terrain makes it great for horses, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, and biking.

I hiked Mule Creek on the other side of 67 and wanted some additional mileage. For Mule Creek, I had parked on the left immediately after crossing the cattle gate on 342 (there is a nice single track trail leading to Mule Creek from there). So, I only need to walk across 67 once I had returned from Mule Creek. I picked up the trail on the right side of the dirt road (where there is parking for maybe 3 cars) and followed that. I took a trail that headed uphill for a short bit to a ridge. Following that I had great views of the rock formations (beautiful!). I continued, staying on the trail rather than exploring the formations. Pass the power lines, there were some smaller rock formations. They had these sweet, comical rock "faces" that had me laughing. I then headed down to the bigger formations, finding a nice place to relax. It was cold today and not many people, but I was thinking it would be a great place to sit and relax for inspiration on a sunny, warm day. It's just so peaceful! I returned the same way I came -- but I will be back to explore more!

Great trail to take your friends or family who are visiting the area. Such a rare find! Love this place.

Very cool rock formations. Doesn’t really need a well- defined trail. Easy to find from two parking areas.

Great place, easy to get to, pretty easy hike over rolling hills without any big climbs. Trails aren't marked at all, aren't well-defined, and there's a lot of social trails around the rocks that can get you turned around so use the app/GPS. Weather was nice that Saturday so there were a lot of families out with kids, dogs, bikes, and horses.

Trail isn’t vet defined but great area for climbing around on the boulders: kids, teens, adults, and dogs can all enjoy. Never run into more than 2 other groups. Does back up to private property, mind the fences.

Beautiful rock formations that kids love exploring.

This is currently our favorite hike to do as a family. Has rocks and cave like areas that our 5yo loves to explore. There are several areas from rock trails to wooded trails. It's never full of people.

The driveway in/out can be intimidating, so go slow.

Fantastic hike - really enjoy the Red Rock formations surrounded by trees. Fantastically beautiful. Easy to get to for a relaxed hike, not difficult.

Haven’t done the Red Rocks Trail yet, but considering it. As I was looking at the photos, including the cover photo, it appears to be Pancake Rocks, which is in Divide/Midland. I just hiked Pancakes Rocks yesterday, and took a similar photo. While I’m sure unintentional, it’s deceiving to those who may want to hike Red Rocks in Woodland Park.

Great walk.

Beautiful hike filled with wildflowers and multiple mushroom specimens! Being able to climb all over the red rock formations was incredible! Would definitely do this trail again!

Rocks are beautiful and very interesting.
However, do not hike the trail. The trail is not marked and we ended up going off side paths, and if it weren't for our GPS it would have been impossible to follow the loop trail.
rated 5 out of 5 for the rock formations near the parking lot, 1 out of 5 for the trail - don't bother.

Beautiful rock formations offering hours of climbing and fun. High payoff because it is so close to the parking area, so our parents were able to hike in and watch. Only downside was a lot of evidence of idiots drinking and breaking glass bottles everywhere. A ripe opportunity for a scout troop! Any takers?

directions are unclear. When you reach the turn, there's 2 separate lots to park in. If you are traveling from Woodland Park, take a right turn when you get to the trailhead. That's where the trailhead is, first rock formations are roughly a mile in.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Short walk to the Red Rock formations. Take your time to explore the formations and all the little chambers. My husband, dog and I had a picnic at the top of the 2nd formation. Would recommend to all skill levels!

Monday, January 23, 2017

a little snow on the ground but absolutely great hike.

Friday, December 30, 2016

We hiked on a Thursday afternoon in late December with an 8 and 9 year old and two dogs. We had a blast climbing the rocks and tromping through the snow. be careful on the snowy rocks and packed paths - it can get slippery.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Had a hard time finding the trail, we parked by the Red Rocks sign & followed the trail thru the pines only to have it end at a fence corner 1 mile in. We climbed the fence & crossed HWY 67 & went to the other side of the highway. Much better trail on that side with a nice creek.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Worst marked trail I've been on. Impossible to follow!

Monday, September 26, 2016

My wife and I took our 3 year old here on a Monday afternoon. We had the place to ourselves and we had a great time. Short walk from parking area to the red rock formations. We had a blast exploring around, over and between them. Be sure to find the "hidden room" with the giant tree growing in it.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Easy hike to the Red Rocks. Red Rocks are Beautiful. Multiple trail options from there.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Definitely not a hike, but we enjoyed climbing the rocks! Stopped here en route from CO Springs to Breckenridge for a picnic lunch, very peaceful!

Monday, August 29, 2016

Our 6 yo was absolutely not in the mood to hike, but once she started exploring the rocks, she didn't want to leave! Plenty of shade, great geology and good for pets. Our 12 week old puppies loved it as well!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

You won't be disappointed.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

I moved to Colorado from Texas a week before this hike. This little hike was just what I needed to get me started out. I took my dog and we did about .8 miles to the Red Rocks. Total round trip was about 1.5 miles. Enjoyed it.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

great rock formations that are easily accessable and fun to climb. great fit the family. the trail, however, is intersected by barbed wire and posted signs... this stopped us at about 1/2 way up the trail, counter clockwise.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Great time with family. Great views. Must see.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Nice little hike with my dog. We went about 2 miles. The trails are not marked so beware but most are very well traveled and obvious with the exception of the more wooded areas. Make sure you have your gps handy. The rocks are SO cool to explore. I went on a Monday afternoon weekends are probably busier since it is pretty close to town (Woodland Park). There is electric wires that run through the trails and a lot of down barbed wire right in the middle of trails but just look out.

Sunday, June 19, 2016