Pancake Rocks

Pancake Rocks is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cripple Creek, Colorado that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,669 feet Route Type: Out & Back

with reference to the quick elevation gain and the consistent climbing, I'd feel comfortable if the rating for this trail were hard. Beautiful hike, but deceiving.

I hiked this trail with my dog on a Monday at 8am in late June (no snow). Besides the very bottom when I finished (about 10:30am), I only encountered one other person at the top. There aren’t amazing views the whole way, just a peaceful forest, but the trail abruptly opens up to the rocks and it is so worth it. The first 2 miles are pretty consistently uphill, then it flattens and does some little ups and downs before the rocks. Gorgeous viewpoint with some very unique rock formations! I will be coming back here for sure!

lots of the trail is still buried under snow drifts. easy to lose the trail. snow is very wet and loose, spikes and poles highly recommended

Snow from top to bottom - don't be deceived by the trailhead which looks clean. The people who went with me didn't have traction and slid down portions of this trail. On that note, I'm not sure about the summer trail but the winter trail as of early April is probably more difficult than "moderate". Very steep at times. We post-holed sporadically but majority of the group made it in boots alone. would still recommend spikes at this point. Beautiful views at the end, worth the effort. Would recommend.

Fantastic hike! My pup and I were the only ones on the trail this morning (benefit of getting to the TH at 7am). Trail is still easy to follow in the snow as it is mostly packed down with some fresh powder. Didn’t need trex or snowshoes, but it’s been a few days since the last storm. Will definitely be coming here again with the hopes of checking out Sentinel Point!

Was the only one hiking this morning with my pup! Snow was packed so I didn’t even need to take out my trex. AllTrails app works throughout but it is marked and you will see more than enough footprints to help you! Try and get to the rocks by 11 to be clear of storms!

Great hike- about 1.25 hours to get to the top and about 1 hour to descend! Pretty much elevation from the trailhead to about .5 miles from the top. Elevation is gradual most all the way with minimal “steps” which usually denotes steep climbing. Very beautiful vistas from the top- mostly the Sangre De Cristo Range- all white-capped this time of year! Of course, the beautiful rock formations at the top are unusual and really do look like stacks of pancakes. Great moderate hike in length, difficulty, and cost/risk benefit! Would love to do this one in September as the Aspens are turning.

Such a beautiful place and much more than just the pancake rocks. I recommend taking the Falls trail on your way back down; it's just a minor detour but so beautiful and serene. I've attached photos.

Just right hike with a stunning ending. The rocks are vast and lots of photo options. Some scree going down - we saw kids fall, but otherwise the perfect fall hike!

Beautiful hike. Aspens are turning

My husband and I enjoyed the hike last year, and went again this year with our 7 month old. Plan to look at the weather forecast before heading out, typically starting before 11 is better, to beat thunderstorms that may role in later. It does get chilly going up in elevation so wear layers, for you and any little guys going up. We always come across a variety of hiking groups for birding, small families with kids, families with dogs, couples, and solo hikers usually with a dog. Enjoy!!

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Start early. Be careful of the afternoon storms. This is a great hike!

Monday, June 04, 2018

It's 4.3 miles from the road. all up hill but beautiful view at the top. 9.21 miles round trip tho go early.

Sunday, February 04, 2018

Approach trail is uneventful, but cool rock formations and beautiful views at the end. No spikes or snowshoes needed as of Feb 2 -- there were about 2 inches of snow but it was packed down pretty good.

Saturday, November 04, 2017

Well balanced hike with beautiful views!

Tuesday, October 03, 2017

The trail moves through Spruce and Fir forest and into Aspen groves as you get higher. At the end of the trail you are met with great views and spectacular rock formations. Trail 360 on YouTube