Palmer Trail (Section 16)

Palmer Trail (Section 16) is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

old growth

One of my favorite hikes!! Makes you work for it the first couple miles but definitely is worth it because the rest of the loop is so beautiful. Took a solid 3 hours with some breaks in between. Will definitely come here again. I recommend this trail if you are moderately in shape, but if you aren't don't be discouraged because this hike is worth it.

Great climb up! The path back down is easy which is great bc it allows you to slow down and enjoy the beautiful views.

GREAT TRAIL if you are looking for a few hours with great exercise. Took our dog who was able to do it with no problems. We enjoyed it.

After the first half mile or so, it gets steep and I started feeling it. Views are great throughout the trail. It can get hot and exposed if you start closer to mid-day, so if you’re taking your dog, just factor that in.

I loved this trail! It was one of my favorites! It had awesome views the whole way!

So much fun! Beautiful scenery and a moderate challenge.

Awesome trail. We started at lot one and took the steep incline first. I would gladly do that again. Our tracker said 6 miles from car to car which was fine. Breathtaking views through the whole thing. Can’t wait to do this one again! It just became my favorite local trail.

Great trail. Steep in the beginning but levels out for a nice, moderate hike

If anyone finds a GoPro on this trail. I think I may have misplaced it out there. My number is 913-274-5686. It’s a long shot, but I just wanted to post something here just in case. Other than that, beautiful views and nice trek to the top.

Little steep on the first couple of miles but then evens out to a slight down hill for the next 3 miles. Great path for a trail run on the down side.

Great hike. Will hike it in the other direction next time to switch it up.

Enjoyable trail that has a little bit of a rough incline but is easily doable :)

Just be aware this trail is dangerous at points steep rocky climb, with plenty of places to fall . So be careful take your time and enjoy the scenery!

Great trail. If you want to do the loop I suggest going up the rocky switchbacks.

Great causal trail :)

Love this trail. Its hard, but I love it!

great trail! not too hard not to easy. clocks in as 5.8 miles

it's beautiful! and really easy to follow.

I've written a blog post about this hike @ www.break-trail.com
If you'd like to read it, follow this link: https://goo.gl/iNLkBN

Popular area. A good climb for some exercise. Nice views at the top. Didn't like walking paved road for just a short jaunt, but otherwise a nice trail. More info and pics here: https://etbtravelphotography.com/2017/12/30/road-trip-denver-to-dallas-and-back/

Great hike. Counter clockwise makes for an good heart rate increasing climb with a gentle 4 mile cool down.

This is a beautiful well maintained trail; however, thieves smashed my 4Runner’s window and stole whatever wasn’t bolted down in my car, along with several other vehicles in the area. The local police did not investigate or follow-up on my complaint.

Hiked this route on 1/13/18 - really enjoyed our time! The first half of the climb is uphill with switchbacks; nothing to complain about, was a great workout. Scenery is stunning - there’s a place about halfway through the loop to sit and take it in, recommended to sit for a while and enjoy! Depending on when you get there parking can fill up, but there are a few lots down the road to park at.

First mile is pretty much incline but the rest of the route is comfortable.

Great hike. Moderately trafficked, not bad at all for a Saturday. Well marked, but know your route for a few of the initial intersections. Beautiful views of the springs and into the hills. Cold in the shade. Light patches of snow throughout. Great length/difficulty level for a short morning hike.

Fun trail with a good incline start and all downhill till the end. Cross a stream and some nice views. Use the map as the trail does have some forks and can get a little confusing.

Competing with bikers on narrow trail.

Great hike. Awesome scenery. Some good uphill work. Not sure if GPS tracks to trail route exactly as we were “off trail” quite a bit before reaching the high road yet seemed to never make a wrong term.