Paint Mines Trail

Paint Mines Trail is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Calhan, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Easy to moderate trail with some inclines. Great views of the Paint Mines, prairie, and Pike's Peak. Can get muddy after rain, as the trail is a lot of clay. Washouts often can be mistaken for trails. The full figure 8 trail is 4 miles, but shorter routes are possible. No dogs, horses, bicycles, or motorized vehicles permitted.

Like everyone else has said it looks very underwhelming at first but once you get to the formations it's definitely a cool place to see. The park is small and it's more walking then hiking. Nice place to stop for a couple hours.

It’s pretty cool. The park is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Don’t need to go again, but glad I got to see it.

beautiful trail made a video of my short time there https://youtu.be/8a5jucNNMN4

Easy hiking. At first, I was underwhelmed, seeing mostly whitish rock formations. Later, we came to beautiful gold, burnt orange, and pinkish red “painted rocks”. Definitely worth a stop off the main road for a nice walk. It is a little hot and dry back among the rocks...take a bottle of water.

I was underwhelmed at first, a easy trail and decent views. Then, I got to the main rock area!!! It is gorgeous! I spent probably two hours wandering around in the formation, could have spent more. Super pretty, bring a camera for sure. Definitely an easy trail, could wear sandals.

Thought the loop was nice and easy, saw lots of rabbits and a jackrabbit. The paint mines were a blast to explore.

I’m an avid hiker and considered this more of a walk or nice stroll. Took our time and spent a lot of time at the main paint mines and was there about 2 hours.

My mom came to visit, I brought her here. She LOVED it. Beautiful rock formations! I recommend parking in the first parking lot and walking to the formations that way. You don't really realize what you're going to be walking up on!

beautiful formations, lovely colors...saw baby birds in a nest, rabbits, butterflies and lots of multicolored birds....so very beautiful if you take some of the side trails to get closer to the formations....we had 3 kids....but kept them from climbing...preserving the beauty for a long time to come....a must see.....

beautiful geological formations, so many awful people.

Easy hike, but amazing views. Feels like a different world. Very windy so be prepared. Best times for photo ops are sunrise and sunset.

Very cool rock formations! This trail is super easy but so so scenic! Climb up to the overlook too!

About 55 minutes from garden of the Gods. I would certainly consider this a diamond in the rough. You arrive in the middle of no where off a gravel road, to beautifully colored rock formations and hoodoos. The variety of colors is mesmerizing. Cotton candy walls and rainbow sorbet layers. Easy hike that winds through the park with a picture at every turn. @ruther_travels -instagram

Beautiful colors. It’s a nice change from the typical Colorado mountain hikes.

I wasn't planning on coming out for this trail but I'm glad I did! From the parking area (equipped with a bathroom!) it doesn't look like much but once you get down into where the formations are it's stunning! It would definitely be great during sunrise/sunset rather than in the blizzard I got but the trails are pretty easy and it looks like you can make your own loops! I just went to the formations and back but the trail intersections were marked and there was a little incline but nothing super difficult!

Okay hike if you live in Colorado. However, if you are visiting or don’t get outside much- there are much better options! It was cool to see the colors, though.

This is a great trail if you have friends or family visiting Colorado. They will absolutely be fascinated with this.

very easy but pretty place. only did about 3 miles but I like it out here

This place is beautiful ❤ to get here there is about an hour and a half of just road, no gas stations, no bathrooms. There is a couple of miles of only dirt roads. once you get there the first overlook has a very clean bathroom. The second overlook not far from the first has just a parking area. Again, this place is beautiful, it's like you are on another planet.

Nice place to take people when they come to visit from out of state or want to get out after just moving here . It has it's own beauty without taxing anyone physically. The formations are wonderful and the colors are beautiful. I would not do this hike in the late spring or summer but most any other time would be good.

I'd been saving this hike for a wintry day as a close-to-Denver alternative to a snowy mountain drive, and while it can't compete with alpine views, it does have a beauty of its own and I was glad to have made the 90-minute drive with the family in tow. Our toddler had fun exploring the short side canyons and ducking through "tunnels", and an owl sighting was a highlight for all of us. The exposure of the higher plains on the second half of the loop made it a cold and windy outing, so bundle up if you're going in winter!

Fun to walk around and take a million pictures! Easy carefree hike.

Geological features are very cool to look at, but some of the trails are super overgrown or washed out. You can make this a "choose your own adventure" type hike to avoid those areas though

The trails further away from the formations need some care. It looked just like a riverbed and was very overgrown.

The formations on the other hand where incredible! I suggest this hike to anyone since the painted clay deposits are truly a site to see.

Great gem of a place in Colorado. I just wish everyone else who was there paid attention to the couple of signs requesting for visitors to NOT climb on the formations to help preserve them for the future since they're fragile. I saw multiple people climbing on them, even parents taking their young kids up to the tops of the formations despite signage. Also no dogs allowed. I didn't see any today but have seen a couple photos on social media of people who have brought their dogs. Rules apply to everybody for the sake of preservation!

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Lovely stroll with amazing sights!

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Nice afternoon hike. The landscape was beautiful!

Sunday, July 23, 2017

I visited the Paint Mines at sunrise and spent a few hours hiking and admiring the formations. There was no one else around except the local long-eared jack rabbits. The early morning light really accentuated the shapes and made photographing them really exciting! I would absolutely recommend visiting!

Saturday, July 22, 2017

My kids really liked this hike. It was easy and the distance wasn't bad. The rock formations are really impressive. It was overcast and therefore quite cool. I don't think I'd want to do this one when it's full sun.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Super kid friendly. Trail well developed.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017