Overend Mountain Trails

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(52)
Schneider Park

Overend Mountain Trails is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Durango, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 918 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a series of interconnected trails with a variety of names that are mostly for mountain bikers (MTBers). It should be easy to follow with the AllTrails app. You will come across MTBers so be aware and share the trails. The hike is worth it, and you can easily amend this hike to be longer or shorter b/c all the trails show up in the AllTrails map/tracking. Hogs Back is recommend if you dare, its somewhat treacherous and no bikes go on that part of the park. Have fun!

Pretty good trail, we enjoyed the backside views more than the front. The last part to the top is a steep little number. We made it with four kids & a dog. Not too many people were on the trail. A few mountain bikers. We did right around 5 miles total. Lots of flowering bushes, had a ton of hatching caterpillars in one portion. Lots of different little trails which made it fun for the kids to kind of pick & choose. Not a lot of shade, so it gets pretty toasty.

Not too hot and not a lot of people on the trail either! My dog and I are exhausted!!

Sun Jun 18 2017

Solid 3.5 stars. We hiked about 4 - 4.5 miles total and it's not all represented in our recording as the AllTrails tracking got turned off. We didn't follow the AllTrails recommended route fully b/c we went up the Hogs Back section (very difficult rating) and took a few extra turns here and there then made our way back. Great views in places (especially at the top of the Hogs Back) and easy dirt trail walking. Reason for rating: this *is* very much a mountain biking park. Overend Mountain Park (named after famous Durango-based MTBer Ned Overend) is the name of the park and there is no actual "Overend Trail". There are a series of interconnected biking trails with a variety of names. Still easy to follow with the AllTrails app. You will come across mtbers so be aware, it's no big deal, everyone is courteous. We always gave them right of way. The hike is worth it nonetheless, and you can easily amend this hike to be longer or shorter b/c all the trails show up in the AllTrails map/tracking. Hogs Back is recommend if you dare, its somewhat treacherous and no bikes go on that part of the park. Have fun!

Sat Sep 24 2016

I hiked part of this trail to get to Perins peak, but I think I took the hard way up. The trail system lead me most of the way. ****

Wed Aug 24 2016

I wasn't thrilled with the views, but in all fairness, I didn't do the whole loop, and I think it's more meant for mountain biking than hiking.

Sat Mar 12 2016

Best hike in Durango! Challenging enough to keep it interesting and the best views in town for sure! Be careful doing this hike in the heat of the summer, it can get very hot so bring more water than you think you will need.

Thu Jun 05 2014

Took our horses out today, this is a wonderful trail and the wild flowers are everywhere. Excellent conditioning trail. At the top you can look down and see Durango. I really enjoyed this trail.

Tue Nov 20 2012

This is a fun but short loop above Durango to the west of town. The Star Wars section is a super fun steep gully that the trail criss crosses like a half pipe. Careful on the north facing Hidden Valley section, which can be super sloppy clay like mud, even when the rest of the area is bone dry.

Fri May 24 2019