Overend Mountain Trails

Overend Mountain Trails is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Durango, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a series of interconnected trails with a variety of names that are mostly for mountain bikers (MTBers). It should be easy to follow with the AllTrails app. You will come across MTBers so be aware and share the trails. The hike is worth it, and you can easily amend this hike to be longer or shorter b/c all the trails show up in the AllTrails map/tracking. Hogs Back is recommend if you dare, its somewhat treacherous and no bikes go on that part of the park. Have fun!

Solid 3.5 stars.
We hiked about 4 - 4.5 miles total and it's not all represented in our recording as the AllTrails tracking got turned off. We didn't follow the AllTrails recommended route fully b/c we went up the Hogs Back section (very difficult rating) and took a few extra turns here and there then made our way back. Great views in places (especially at the top of the Hogs Back) and easy dirt trail walking.
Reason for rating: this *is* very much a mountain biking park. Overend Mountain Park (named after famous Durango-based MTBer Ned Overend) is the name of the park and there is no actual "Overend Trail". There are a series of interconnected biking trails with a variety of names. Still easy to follow with the AllTrails app. You will come across mtbers so be aware, it's no big deal, everyone is courteous. We always gave them right of way. The hike is worth it nonetheless, and you can easily amend this hike to be longer or shorter b/c all the trails show up in the AllTrails map/tracking. Hogs Back is recommend if you dare, its somewhat treacherous and no bikes go on that part of the park. Have fun!

Saturday, September 24, 2016

I hiked part of this trail to get to Perins peak, but I think I took the hard way up. The trail system lead me most of the way. ****

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

I wasn't thrilled with the views, but in all fairness, I didn't do the whole loop, and I think it's more meant for mountain biking than hiking.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Friday, March 18, 2016

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Best hike in Durango! Challenging enough to keep it interesting and the best views in town for sure! Be careful doing this hike in the heat of the summer, it can get very hot so bring more water than you think you will need.

Friday, November 06, 2015