Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Ouzel Falls via Wild Basin Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(313)
Rocky Mountain National Park

Ouzel Falls via Wild Basin Trail is a 5.3 mile out and back trail located near Allenspark, Colorado that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 954 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

Hiked 2/29. Only needed spikes all the way to Ouzel Falls and side trip to Hidden Falls. Snow is all well packed down. Ouzel falls is nearly entirely snow covered so not much to see. Hidden falls was the highlight by far. Other than that probably a better spring/summer hike when the water is flowing.

Great trail. Used spikes and snowshoes. Open and wooded areas.

January 12. Able to make it to Ouzel Falls with traction devices. Tons of snow. Moose tracks. The frozen creek and falls and the many beautiful bridges made this a very special hike.

January 2nd did this hike. Love this area so beautiful. Only made it to the Cascades with spikes on, needed my snowshoes to go further.

If you are a tourist and have time for only 1-2 hikes in park, would put this at the very top of the list. Water features alone are epic. Early Spring just after upper trailhead opens and the falls will be gushing. Once at the falls (basically you can touch the falls), take a hard left along the wall and meander up to the top of the falls. Views are incredible looking into the back bowls. Estes Cone (for summit experience) and this hike are on my must do for anyone visiting me. I have done these falls to many times to count... always a great time, especially in shoulder seasons!

Great trail for early snow and a great way to have a lunch is by ozuel falls. From there head back to Estes for a post hike libation

This was an awesome hike! A good moderate difficulty, super pretty, and there was lots of wildlife - we saw several deer and a moose! The parking lot was full so we had to park about a mile away, so our 5.4 mile round trip turned into 7.4 miles round trip, but it was still a lot of fun.

Great hike! Parking lot was packed, as it was free admission day for RMNP. Lots of great opportunities to stop and take in the gorgeous scenery. We went a little further past the bridge at the top, and there is a great view above the tree line!! So breathtaking in fact, my boyfriend decided to propose! Obviously I may be biased, but I’d say this is one of the best hikes I have ever done!

Arrived at 8:30 on Monday and parking lot was pretty empty. Nice hike along a creek with nice waterfalls. Spent some exploring off trail to a really pretty lake. You’ll need to have gps to track route out and back.

A very moderate trail with beautiful views throughout! We started our hike at 2:30pm on a Sunday and had no trouble finding a parking spot.

My husband & I hiked to the falls on a Thursday near the end of September with beautiful weather. At 9:30, the parking lot was nearly full. The trail is really well-kept and was doable even for a seventy-year-old with a bad knee. The area is gorgeous, and the trail was being actively used, but not crowded. A great medium-distance hike!

Nice out and back, started late in the day so not crowded at all. I’d suggest a late start here, parking is easy after 2:00 and still plenty of daylight to see the falls.

Good but crowded go early

Short a fabulous. Last year I went to ouzel lake. This year I had less time. I wonderful short hike.

Went early on Monday morning. Hardly any other hikers until heading back around 10:30. Really lovely with the sound of water for most of the hike and multiple waterfalls along the way.

Great Colorado trail. Lots of trees, along the swiftly flowing river! Great hike!

One of my favorite hikes. Copeland, Calypso, and Ouzel are awesome. Very busy trail though. The trail is well shaded. Well maintained and wide trail for most of the hike. Top three for me. Did this one in the middle of winter also. Five feet of snow.

Nice trail, not too crowded although it was a Thursday afternoon hike. The creek running next is great! Falls at top is great! Worth the trek.

Nice hike along the river and ending at picturesque ouzel fall.

Beautiful hike parking though was rough. We got there at 9 and had to park a little over a mile from the trailhead!! It was worth it though!! Gorgeous views and falls!!

Amazing water trail

beautiful

We hiked this trail in late Summer. Weather was perfect and there were no crowds. It was a good workout but the scenery and close proximity to water makes this one of the best trails I’ve been on.

Great trail, family friendly and decent amount of streams and falls along the way. Can’t wait to come back and try some of the lake trails

Great hike with wonderful views. Just a route going up to Lion Lake 2 and had to cross a snow field. Also went a bit farther up to aptly named Snowbank Lake that has spectacular views of Mt Alice and Chiefs Head Peak.

Great hike on a well-maintained trail. Ww were told there are 2 strategies...come really early; or come later. We chose the latter and were able to find parking at the Finch Lake trailhead...a short walk to the Wild Basin trailhead. The volunteers who man the parking areas were awesome and well-versed on all of the trails. Although we saw many hikers, we never felt crowded and had a beautiful secluded spot to have lunch next to Ouzel Falls. Great way to finish off our trip to CO!

Ouzel Falls is beautiful! I really enjoyed this hike. The parking lot is really busy. Plan to be at the parking lot before 9:00 am. We got there too late (around 10:30) and we had to park a little over a mile away on the road. It wasn't a big deal and I would still recommend doing the hike even if you have to walk to the trail head.