Ouray Perimeter Trail

Ouray Perimeter Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ouray, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Rings the town of Ouray. It is relatively easy, but has some areas that could be considered challenging for people not in shape. TRAILHEAD: Ouray's Perimeter Trail, a unique five miler, features the surrounding cliffs and mountains. It begins across from the Ouray Visitors' Center on the east side of US 550. (Please wear boots or sturdy shoes on this mountain trail!) Parking space is available behind the Visitor's Center. ATTRACTIONS AND FEATURES: To begin, walk across the road to a large pink boulder, sign and tree. The trail starts on a wood edged path north of a planted berm behind some condos. It climbs wood stairs in the hillside to Cascade Cliff. Hike south on the cliff path .7 mile to Cascade Falls and Cascade Creek bridge. Cross the bridge, and continue uphill on Lower Cascade Trail to a right turn (.9 mile). (At the first clearing, ahead of you to the south are Ouray's signature views of Mt. Abram, 12,801', and Hayden Mountain, 11,475'. The southwest skyline shows U.S. Mountain, 13,036'. To the west are Whitehouse Mountain, 13,452', and Twin Peaks, 10,798'.) Cross the 5th Avenue Trail and continue hiking to the Amphitheater Campground Road (1.3 miles). Turn right and walk down the road .1 mile to the Baby Bathtubs Trail. Ascending this section, you will reach a shallow, often dry, crossing of Little Portland Creek with lots of little rock bathtubs (great for kids to play in). Walk uphill to the left, parallel to the larger Portland Creek, to a footbridge. Across the bridge, walk 300' to a trail fork and turn left. Here, you will enter the Three Pines Day Use Area. Go south across the picnic space and follow the trail through forest about 1,000' and exit onto Portland Mine Road. Follow the road uphill 300' and turn right into the old miners' Potato Patch. (They really grew potatoes here.) Hike across the Patch, following posts and cairns to a spartan, rocky upland of cactus and flowers in spring and summer. This is the trail's highest elevation (8,500'). Enjoy the views! (Behind and to the east is the 3,000' gray Amphitheater wall; to the west is Hayden Mountain. Downhill is US 550 and the Uncompahgre Gorge.) Descend to the highway and cross carefully, listening and looking for traffic. Turn left at the Ice Park Trail, following the hydroelectric dam access road to a trail going west downhill to the gorge and river bridge. Cross the bridge, taking time to admire the views and continue uphill to the old pipeline and a metal stile. Over the stile, turn right (north) and walk along the Ice Park access road. Past the Ice Park Reservoir (a great swimming hole for dogs), veer slightly off the road to a trail that soon crosses CR 361 and heads to the Box Caon high bridge. (If you decide to tour Box Caon Park, there is a $4 fee.) Cross the suspended bridge over Caon Creek's spectacular gorge to Ouray's old water tunnel. (The ceiling is low; watch your head.) Past the tunnel, steep stairs lead down the cliff along the gorge. The Perimeter Trail currently ends at South Pinecrest Street, a mile from the Visitors' Center. At this point, walk straight downhill to Queen Street, turn right, go a block to Oak Street and turn left. (Views to the north and east include Ouray; Gold Hill and the Blowout, 10,587'; Cascade Mountain, 11,000'; the Amphitheater and Cow Mountain, 13,111'.) Walk north on Oak Street past 7th Avenue to the City's Maintenance Shop near Fellin Park. Cross the footbridge and return to the Visitors' Center where you began. For those who wish to see a particular section of the Perimeter Trail, hike a connecting trail, or leave the trail part way, the map on the back shows several trail access points. The complete trail can also be shortened to 4.2 miles at the crossing of US 550 by turning right on the Ice Park Shortcut. You then will exit on the east side of the Uncompahgre Bridge. To continue, walk across the bridge and up CR 361 for 500' to the right hand trail leading to Box Caon High Bridge.

Very nice hike but I can’t give it a 5-Star rating bc:
1. I don’t know where they came up with this being a 4.7 mile hike that it says in the description as if you do the entire hike following the signs it is more like 6.2 miles and 1,600 feet of climbing.
2. Not best hiking footing for parts of the hike as loose rocks and metal grates (I had to carry my black lab as these bugged her so much she refused to walk on them) for climbing over large water “pipeline” and across high bridge.

Overall not bad for being right in Ouray and this time of year the waterfall was amazing and luckily not super hot (was getting a bit too warm for my dog but that was bc it was 1.5 miles longer that we expected so it was close to noon when we finished.

This is a great trail. Well signed to keep you on track, takes you past many beautiful locations. Some parts are difficult if you are a novice hiker like myself. However, it’s definitely worth it.

Great views of Ouray, a waterfall ( May) and enough of a challenge to get winded occasionally. Fun trail!

This hike was wonderful! Traversing the loop brought gorgeous views of the valley, waterfalls, blooming wildflowers, the million dollar highway, box canyon and the cute town. I saw a fox on the trail as well. Definitely worth it if you are in the area!

I liked what I was able to hike. Would not recommend going in winter months without proper gear! Parts of the trail were pure ice - had to cut the hike short due to ice. Nice steep inclines at the beginning of the trail. Eventually comes to a pretty waterfall (which is where I stopped b/c ice).

I did the north east and northwest sections on 2/16 in the late afternoon and 2/17 in the morning, using microspikes for parts of both. Great minimalist trail, with sketchy shoring up by the falls on the northeast section. Seems that some people go hors piste there which disrupts the integrity of the hillside. Stay on the trail. At the bridge past Henn's overlook on the west side, the snow was too deep and unbroken for me to continue w/o snowshoes or any knowledge of where the trail lay. I'll do it again when I have enough time to do the whole loop.
Pro tip: get a map of the trail from the visitor center in town, and they might give you updated trail condition info.

Good hike, first mile was mostly uphill with well packed snow. The snow got deeper a couple of miles into the hike but not enough to require snowshoes (we wore microspikes). The trail markings are almost nonexistent near the high point and there were tracks in the snow in several different directions so we ended up going off trail to get down to the road. After the steep descent we flatlanders decided to call it a day and take the road from the Ice Park to our car at the Visitors Center with a stop at the coffee shop. I would do this hike again.

Beautiful hike! Hiked it last Thursday had some icy spots but was not bad.

Solid hike, gets pretty busy in the summer

Spectacular views! May be taxing if not in shape and or used to altitude. Signage lacking at times. Overall amazing hike.

Great hike. Closer to 6 mi. though. Great views of the valley.

I parked at the hot springs and by the time I got back to my car it was 6.3 miles. Great hike, though. Not many people on the trail and views that can only be seen from the trail. Highly recommend to get the full Ouray experience!

Waterfalls, deep river canyons, stands of Aspen, rocky outcroppings... this hike has it all! We hiked this trail with our dog in the rain and sleet today and it was epic! The wintery weather combined with stunning views and varying terrain made for a hike to remember. We'll definitely be back!!

Great hike! There was so much variety -- waterfall, a cave you walk through, high bridges, mining roads and steep rocky parts. Awesome. We did go a bit longer ~6 miles. A part of the trail was closed near the end of our hike but it re-routed us back to town with no problems. We went clockwise starting at the big hot springs in town (south side of the town).

Hiked with mom. Loved it! Different view every corner you turn. Awesome to look down at the town and over at the mountains. Really beautiful.

Great trail! Just so everyone knows in advance, I don't think the 4.9 is correct.
1.Maybe this is just the linear measurement. Probably doesn't take into account the elevation changes.
2. Maybe it's not accounting for the longer distance added to the trail if you avoid the Ice Park shortcut.
3. This map doesn't show the new section they added just recently, Oak Creek Canyon. This new section adds probably another 1.5 miles (didn't note the amount, just estimating) and it's pretty strenuous.
My total for the entire loop was 7.7 miles according to a couple of apps on my phone. They were both within a tenth of a mile with each other so take that for what it is worth.
I also used this link that gives lots of pictures to help navigate (assuming you are doing the trail clockwise)

The trail is well marked except for 2 places where the Ouray Trail Group could make an improvement.

1. At Baby Bathtubs it's a little unclear which line to take. Most descriptions mention staying on the north side of the stream but you actually need to go a bit further to pick up Portland Creek and you will be staying to the north of it. Until they get that corrected, when you first get to the Bathtubs go across right there at a slight diagonal. The trail is a bit faint on the other side but it's there.
2. It is a bit hard to interpret the trail just beyond the Potato Patch. There are a couple of poles/cairns to help guide you but it's still a bit difficult to see the line through this area due to it being mostly rock. Still, just work your way down to the hiway 550 crossing using the most logical line and you'll be fine.
I will try to post a current picture of the updated map.

One of my favorite hikes ever!! Such beautiful views. I went with my husband and toddler. Toddler was in his carrier the whole time because he fell asleep, but would have loved the waterfall. The first part was the most difficult. Very steep. It's also a little scary if you're afraid of heights, because you get close to the edge at times. Waterfall is beautiful!! Nice place to relax and enjoy a picnic.

excellent trail. you gotta watch your step in a few places where the trail gets pretty narrow. All in all it is an awesome hike. It has scenery of all kinds including: great mountain views, forest views where we saw lots of mule deer, lots of views overlooking the town of ouray, multiple waterfalls, and nice river views. highly recommend this trail. The perimeter trail map actually says the trail is 5.8 miles not 4.9 like it says on all trails. We walked from our hotel hot springs inn to the trail head. so total we hiked 7.6 miles.

You really have to watch yourself with the altitude up here, but the trail has some awesome sights and is well worth the trip. This trail also gives you plenty of opportunities to go explore the many other trails all around here.

I loved this trail but my fit bit and my husbands sunto watch said it was at least 7 miles and we didn't even complete the full loop back to the visitors center. It took us over 3 hours and I was exhausted. My brother and his wife bailed halfway through. Not for the faint of heart.

Just a disclaimer: we started this at 6:50pm. The sun set at 8:00pm. But nevertheless, we did the entire perimeter and finished by 9:15pm. The views were absolutely incredible! Very cool features - waterfalls, bridges, tunnels. But if you're scared of heights, word of warning and if you're not comfortable hiking in the dark, go in the morning.;) this was a perfect way to really get a good look at the heart of Ouray.

Very enjoyable hike around town.

Hard moderate with long steeps and drop offs. Waterfalls and a tunnel. Be ready. Tough trail but very good.

Good trail. A lot of up and down and rocky terrain. Beautiful views but it would be a mistake to assume this is an easy walking trail around town. Took us 3.5 hours with a few stops to enjoy the scenery.
Trail was poorly marked at a point when it drops down into town by the hot springs swimming pool and visitors center. Go through the parking lot and once you hit the visitors center the trail continues across the road.

Love the scenery!

Stunning views and waterfalls! A must-do in Ouray. Some steep ledges at the beginning - admittedly made me nervous with my two kids. Trail is pretty narrow at points. BUT, totally worth it.

We loved this trail. It was great with all the water features, and a good work out with all the up and down. It does not hurt that almost every view is spectacular.

Horrible for anyone with fear of heights. Continual walking on steep ledges, at least for the first couple of miles.