Ormes Peak East Face

Ormes Peak East Face is a 0.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Drove to east side of Ormes Peak on FR303 looking for the trailhead. Did not find the spot indicated by the map but noticed a cairn alongside of the road a bit south of where I expected and south of a very nice pullover parking area. There wasn't much of a traveled trail but there were a few more cairns and a random ribbon or two. It was more of a cross country trek along the ridge line to the peak. On the way back down, however, there was a very well traveled (and marked) trail down the west side of the peak that leads back down to FR303 to another side road/parking area (also 0.5 miles). Great 360 degree view of the entire Pikes Peak region and a relatively easy hike close to town.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Putting this review here because I went to this trail trying to climb .6 miles up to Ormes Peak. Not sure if Ormes is near by or what, but I ended up climbing 2.38 miles to what I believe is Cascades Mountain, on the Heizer trail. The waypoint mark on the map seems to be a little off trail...
That being said, it was a nice trail that starts off pretty easy and gets more moderate. The trailhead is in a residential area up a one lane road on a hill. Only enough parking for about 5-6 vehicles, so get there early. I was glad I brought my walking sticks for the slippery loose rock on the way down. I packed out the only piece of litter I saw, and the highway noise disappears fairly quickly up the trail. The dog and I enjoyed our hike and the amazing view of Pikes Peak at the top.