Ophir Pass to Crystal Lake

Ophir Pass to Crystal Lake is a 0.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ophir, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 0.6 miles Elevation Gain: 288 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Not much of a trail, more a goat trail. Complete scramble to the top. It’s a short like to a beautiful lake though!

The first 0.2 miles of this is straight up a bunch of talus/loose medium sized rocks - trail can be hard to find but there is one to follow, and I wasn't worried about slipping even with very strong winds (definitely need good shoes though, and I wouldn't try it if it was wet). The lake is fantastic, nearly as blue as Island Lake, & the views all around plus on the drive in are great. The road should be no problem for any SUV

Extremely good teal-blue lake with a short hike, though I would call it more of a rock scramble than a hike. I was happy to be wearing tough gloves, since I crouched a few times and grabbed onto the rock to steady myself. The way up was mostly fine, and the lake was the perfect reward. On the way down, I became worried about slipping on the loose rocks and falling, especially since the wind picked up. During gusts, it would blow me sideways, and my balance was much less sure. I would recommend not going on particularly windy or wet days, since any precarious weather will be accentuated along this hike.

Wow, one of great views around. You can’t see the trail, you actually climb a very loose Rocky Mountain, but once you clear the top you will be amazed by the view on the lake. July and the lake still semi frozen. Worth every second!

Friday, August 03, 2018

Love it!

Monday, July 31, 2017

Heading out of Silverton, take Forest Road 679 for 4 miles to Ophir Pass. The road is unpaved and narrow and a little hairy in places, but then I don't have a great head for heights. We parked the car a mile from the pass (there is a small track that forks to the left and room for a couple of cars to park there) and hiked to the top. The views along this track are extraordinary - we were fortunate to have sunshine and clear skies. The wild flowers were amazing and we heard and saw pica. Now I have to admit we did not make it to Crystal Lake. The scramble up scree from the pass was beyond our capabilities - I would certainly not view this as a moderate hike... quite challenging due to the terrain and steepness, albeit quite short. We gave up a quarter of the way up and scrambled down. I would recommend this hike based on the views leading up to the pass and cannot comment on Crystal Lake itself.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

This is a scramble up the talus slopes that are found up on Ophir Pass. The trail is fairly easy to pick out at the pass, on the south side of the road, but it can be hard to find when you are ready to head back down. It is a short little jaunt to this pretty high country lake. The hike is on loose talus the whole way. I'd like to return some day when it's sunny as the day I was there it was overcast and drizzling.