Ophir Pass to Crystal Lake

Ophir Pass to Crystal Lake is a 0.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ophir, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until October.

Heading out of Silverton, take Forest Road 679 for 4 miles to Ophir Pass. The road is unpaved and narrow and a little hairy in places, but then I don't have a great head for heights. We parked the car a mile from the pass (there is a small track that forks to the left and room for a couple of cars to park there) and hiked to the top. The views along this track are extraordinary - we were fortunate to have sunshine and clear skies. The wild flowers were amazing and we heard and saw pica. Now I have to admit we did not make it to Crystal Lake. The scramble up scree from the pass was beyond our capabilities - I would certainly not view this as a moderate hike... quite challenging due to the terrain and steepness, albeit quite short. We gave up a quarter of the way up and scrambled down. I would recommend this hike based on the views leading up to the pass and cannot comment on Crystal Lake itself.

This is a scramble up the talus slopes that are found up on Ophir Pass. The trail is fairly easy to pick out at the pass, on the south side of the road, but it can be hard to find when you are ready to head back down. It is a short little jaunt to this pretty high country lake. The hike is on loose talus the whole way. I'd like to return some day when it's sunny as the day I was there it was overcast and drizzling.