Ophir Pass Road

Ophir Pass Road is a 9.9 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Ophir, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1902 feet
Point to Point

scenic driving

Ophir Pass is a convenient and scenic way to get from Silverton to Telluride. Seasonal wildflowers grow thick at higher elevations. Unlicensed vehicles are allowed on Ophir Pass Road east of the town of Ophir; however, you cannot ride through town. Watch for signs. High Point 11,789 ft., Best time to go Late June-Sept. Located in San Juan and Uncompahgre National Forests. For current conditions call Norwood Ranger District (970) 327-4261. Applies to one section of narrow, rocky shelf road on the west side of Ophir Pass. Everything else is easy. Passing an oncoming vehicle along the narrow shelf road west of Ophir Pass can be a little scary for a novice driver.

off road driving

amazing views and easy drive from Silverton to Ophir.. watch for vehicles coming up Ophir on the long narrow road on the west side of the pass for there is little to no room for vehicles to pass! worth the drive for sure!

off road driving

very easy but very hard on tires. We went from Ophir to Silverton. I would not try that direction without a real four drive with low range. I used my low range and was glad I had it and several places I could feel the four wheel drive digging in to get taction on the loose rock. Lots of one lane but everyone was supper respective and took their turn. Fantastic views.

off road driving

I've been over Ophir Pass a few times, always a nice drive. My brother followed us once over this and he did it in his 2 wheel drive truck. So not a real tough road. The drop down towards Ophir from the pass goes over a pretty steep stretch of talus though. Definitely have to be sure no one is coming up from that side before you start down. Very scenic drive. I've only driven it from Silverton to Ophir, never the other way. yet.

off road driving

I am glad I didn't read any reviews of this drive before I went because I likely would not have driven it.

My girlfriends and I drove my 2010 Subaru Forester from Silverton to Telluride via Ophir Pass last Labor Day (2016). The drive up from Silverton was not only gorgeous, but had more structure. It was more of a dirt road. The drive down to Telluride after going through the pass, was straight rocks. My girlfriends were worried about my tires, I was worried about my breaks. We made it, and now jokingly discuss the experience as if I was trying to murder us. Seriously, I know the locals drive the pass frequently, but you HAVE to have 4 wheel drive and decent tires. We had zero weather issues besides it being a bit windy at the top. So all-in-all we picked a good weekend to do it.

Keep the car in low gear, have some decent tires, drive slow, and enjoy the experience. That is what I would call it, an experience.

Parts were very extreme and snow still present in early July. I was worried about the length of my truck (tundra crew max) but all went well. I believe 4x4 low is a must.

off road driving

This was so much fun. We rented the Jeep from Colorado 145. Great jeep, great maps.

The scenery was absolutely gorgeous!

off road driving

Relatively easy Trail some Steep and narrow spots. We did it in a stock all wheel drive vehicle in June relatively easy beautiful views.

off road driving

Spectacular San Juan Mt. Jeep trail.

Took Ophir Pass in August of 2011, the quickest way from Ouray to Telluride and back (I think). Beautiful weather at the time and the pass is a pretty easy ride. The ride was good and the scenery was amazing. Not much traffic, the shelf road was the most exciting part of the pass. I would recommend it to anyone in the area.

off road driving

Not a bad little drive. The west side has a few rough bits, but nothing you can't handle with 4x4. Great views.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

I wanted to share the following experience we had on Ophir Pass on July 31, 2016. I consider myself an experienced off road driver and have been on many 4X4 trails throughout Colorado. We were visiting Telluride and wanted to go explore Silverton so after some research we decided to take Ophir Pass from the town of Ophir to Silverton (West to East). We were in a 2001 Suburban 4X4 1500 - yes I realize this is not the best off road vehicle but with 4 kids and camping gear in tow, that's the season of life we are in right now. The trail starts out as a simple off road trail past the town of Ophir going through beautiful aspens meadows and wild flower areas. As we approached the 1/2 mile shelf road the trail becomes rocky and narrow. As we were about a few 100 yards on our accent on the shelf road the skies opened up with heavy rain, sleet & hail just as the shelf road quickly narrows with a 2000 feet drop off on the passenger side! We quickly realized taking a wide Suburban on this road was not a good idea. To make matters worse, there was rut with a 2' "hill" on the driver's side with no room to spare on the passenger side. If we went over this the driver's side would have been elevated while the passenger side (the 2000' drop side) would have been lowered with literally only a few inches to spare. We stopped before going over this and decided with all the factors involved (heavy rain, sleet, hail, wide Suburban, etc...) not to continue. At one point, we were concerned the sleet/hail would accumulate on the trial creating an even more dangerous situation. Luckily, it changed to just rain and the accumulation was minimal and melted quickly. We had to back down with very poor visibility about a 100 yards to a very small turn around area all while it was pouring rain - the rail & sleet was rushing down the trail as we were backing up. Ever inch we backed down was terribly frightening. Once we reached the turn around area and after the rain stopped we turned around and headed back to the town of Ophir.

I say all of this to warn those with a wide vehicle. I personally would not recommend driving a Suburban or equivalent on this trail - stick with a jeep or something similar. There just simply is very little room for error on the shelf road with a wider vehicle. It is an absolutely beautiful trail and if you have the right vehicle, are not afraid of heights and can avoid going during a heavy downpour I would highly recommend it.

Friday, July 08, 2016

First time over this pass. Used it as a return to Telluride after going over Imogene early in the morning. The views are spectacular. The narrow shelf section after the peak is tough to pass, will require the descending vehicle to yield and wait where there is room to pass if other vehicles are coming up. Ophir is a neat little town. Will do this again.