Onahu Trail to Granite Falls

Onahu Trail to Granite Falls is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Lake, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Rocky Mountain National Park. 2 miles from Grand Lake (West) entrance to the park. Use the Green Mountain Trailhead.

Loved the trip. Fantastic meadow. Good birding. Great wildflowers

This has been one of my favorite hikes. So beautiful and such a variety of environments. The start is a steady incline and was the buggiest part for me. I didn't stop to put on repellent and have a few mosquito bites. I started around 9:00 am, so maybe the mosquitos get better as the day goes on and gets hotter. The meadow is spectacular! We saw 5-6 moose off in the distance and 1-2 were baby or very young moose. Saw deer later on the trail. I really liked the burnt forest portion of the hike. Kind of eerie but beautiful in its own sense. Granite Falls was amazing and worth the time it takes to get there. Rangers passed through and checked in with each group to be sure everyone was okay, having a good time, and checked to see if anyone had seen a bear. (There were signs of a non-aggressive bear encounter in that area in late May 2018). They were great and went over what to do if you do encounter a bear or other wildlife close up. I will definitely do this hike again next time I'm in the area.

Only reason I’m giving the hike 4 stars is because of the bugs. We forgot bug spray and they got us pretty bad. However, it’s beautiful! We saw 6 moose, a deer, and tons of birds. The valley is beautiful, and was where most the moose were. Would definitely go back!

The signs are a little off and we had a detour for about a mile. Lots of mesquites but it was a beautiful hike. We saw a total of 9 moose including 2 mommas and their babies. We had the trail pretty much to ourselves. Highly recommend.

Did this hike yesterday 5/9/18. Pretty steady incline to start out then levels out with intermittent inclines from there. Trail is pretty well maintained. Several pretty rocky areas. A few downed trees to navigate over. I saw 7 moose on my hike. Mostly out in fields a safe distance away. I did go right past a juvenile moose that was about 4 feet from the trail hidden by vegetation. If it hadn’t been for the hikers coming the other way who were stopped taking pictures I never would have seen it. I happened upon another juvenile who was right next to the trail. We startled each other. Mom was really close by (about 15 yds away) so I hurried on my way. The falls were pretty cool. I sat, ate and rested for a little while. There was a recent bear encounter at the falls. Warning signs were posted along the trail but I never saw one. The signs did make me more cautious and maybe a little jumpy. Overall it was a nice hike. With taking a couple of detours to check things out (on other trails) I totaled 11.4 miles. Man my feet hurt today.

Great

Loved it, but the trail signs did not coincide with the All Trails map.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Great hike! Did it with my 10 and 6 year old boys and had a blast. Took us pretty much all day, but the change in terrain kept it interesting. Kids equated it to the game Candy Land. Started out in the tropical forest, passed the grasslands (prairie meadow), through the burnt forest, along the creek trail, and finally hit Granite Falls.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Fun trail. Moose, Elk and Black Bear. Great hike.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Saw 5 moose in Big Meadow area. Pretty mild hike, distance makes it moderate. My GPS also clocked in at closer to 13.5mi out and back. No real mountain views, but opportunity for moose makes this hike!

Monday, June 26, 2017

Great hike and saw three moose in the Big Meadow area.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Incredible views of big meadows for spotting Moose and mule deer. Granite falls was beautiful as well.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Loved this hike! The falls were well worth the 10+ mile round trip. Well maintained trail and low traffic! The moose were an added bonus!

recorded MOOSE!- Onahu Creek Trail