Onahu Creek Trail

Onahu Creek Trail is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Grand Lake, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Lower half of the Onahu Creek Trail had a couple of places that were damaged and was soggy to go around.

Only made it through 1/3 of the trail and then headed back. Was tough and not very scenic. The drive thru the Rocky Mountain national park was great though! We saw moose, elk, and even made a mini snow man.

Absolutely beautiful trail it was challenging and had great scenery. We went after a snow fall though and there was about 3-4 feet of snow on the ground at times the trail markers are poor, so if you can't see the trail on the ground..:I wouldn't recommend this one we ended up lost and butt scooting and crawling down the mountain to the stream and following it until we found the trail again. Markers are faded and really hard to see when you get deep in to this loop.

Honestly this was the very first trails I hiked with my children who were 8&5 at the time in the beginning of October. I was impressed with there capabilities to do the hike with little rest time. We looped around using the Tonahutu trail and part of the green mountain train. The hike fell short of just 9 miles. It was snow covered and frozen on the way up, snow covered and slick rocky area, but eventually melted and made it super muddy. The boys enjoyed climbing over some fallen trees. The meadow was beautiful, no bugs or any animal views for us.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Like a few other reviewers we did the Green Mountain, Tonahutu, Onahu 8 mile loop. Not a overly difficult hike but decent elevation gain and not a walk in the park either. We went in June of 2013 and there were some snow covered areas that got a little bit slick but fortunately we did not have many bugs. We did see a few moose in one of the open meadows.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

We hiked this on 8/9/14. Beautiful views! Lots of roots and rocks but still nice views! It's rated difficult so be ready!

Sunday, July 28, 2013

We normally spend our time on the east side of RMNP and came here to hike for one reason: the elusive moose!

I wasn't particularly impressed with the hike itself. The trees here are not nearly as attractive as many on the east side of the park, in my opinion. The pine beetle damage was very bad through here, and you don't get the overlook views that you do on many hikes on the east side.

There are multiple small meadow areas here which are nice. There were lots of bugs — something we hadn't experienced much of in RMNP.

We also hiked a loop coming up Green Mountain Trail, across Tonahutu, and down Onahu Creek, finishing by hiking Onahu Creek TH to Green Mountain TH. I'd probably recommend the reverse of this, as Big Meadows and the cabins near there were the scenic highlight of the trip and I think I prefer Green Mountain to Onahu.

We finally got our moose a few hundred yards before the hike ended, which I guess made it worth the trip.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

We also made a loop of it by joining Tonahutu and Green Mountain Trail which came out to around 8 miles. The trail was fairly easy our 12 and 16 year-old sons did well. We saw a couple moose during the hike. Took a little over two hours and a storm came in right as we finished. Ensure you bring bug spray since you are near the creek quite a bit.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Green and shade. Spectacular spots where you cross the river. We made a loop of it by joining Tonahutu and Green Mountain Trail.