Old Mill and Bulging Elk Trail

Old Mill and Bulging Elk Trail is a 12.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Shaffers Crossing, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Seven dollars for all day pass, not bad. The hike was nothing great to Dave’s ponds,however you can fish if you have a permit. I saw maybe 10 deers all together near (CM) Chase Meadow trail. From there I took (HC) Historic Cabin trail nothing great burnt down cabins From there (SR) Staunton Ranch trail has awesome rock formations, climb if you have your gear with you! (MP) Marmot passage trail has really nice views. (EF) Elk falls pond was nice. I took (CR) Chimney Rock trail to elk falls definitely check out Elk Falls You won’t be disappointed. Elk Falls Overlook was nice. From there I took (WM) West meadow trail nothing great just a lot of small aspen trees other then that 2 more miles...

I got back to Elk Falls Pond, then took (BE) Bugling Elk Trail. Unfortunately I took (SR) instead of (BL) Border Line Trail. I was pretty tired at that point. So I made the decision to head back to the trail head. I stayed on (SR) Staunton Ranch trail all the way back to the parking lot. I started at Noon finished at 6.

If you plan on doing all the trails in one day. Make sure to give yourself ample amount of time. I’ll be back.

Beautiful trails, many options of paths to take. I ended up doing right around the 12 miles listed here within 4 hours. Get there early if you're going on the weekend, the parking lot was overflowing when I got done and left around 11am. No shortage of hills, so depending how far and which trails you take it can be a leg burner.

Beautiful place to hike with lots of options to branch off (ie to see the waterfall). It was quite busy on labor day, though. Great for a hike close to denver.

Super easy to get to from Denver. Trails are pretty wide which makes conversation really convenient. The trail itself is pretty woodsy with a few Aslan forests, but there's no real 'peak' to the trail. Biggest minus is that you can't drive to the trail head, you have to get in a trail to get to the right trail.

Beautiful day, amazing trail. Will certainly be back!

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Long, rewarding hike with fantastic views. This was my first time in this park, and I'm already planning out in my head where I want to go next. If you try this loop, please head up the Lion's Back Trail -- you won't be sorry!

Route: Took Staunton Ranch Trail to Scout Line, Marmot Passage Trail, detoured out and back with Lion's Back Trail, Bugling Elk to Borderline,Old Mill, and Staunton Ranch Trail back to the parking lot.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Beautiful trail, the scout trail especially has truly breathtaking scenery and views. The main trails seemed a little crowded, and it also got pretty hot. This particular loop is also a pretty long hike, with lots of uphill segments so be prepared to get tuckered out. If you want a big hike there probably aren't many more rewarding than this.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

$7 parking, bathrooms close to the parking area. They will give you a trial map at the entrance, definitely take it. There is a whole network of beautifully marked and well maintained trails, so you can make your hike as long or as short as you'd like if you have a good map. We did most of the east side of the park and ended up going about 17 miles. Eagle Cliffs Overlook is a beautiful lunch spot, and the Old Mill is really interesting to see as well. Fun place!

recorded Track - Feb 04, 04:46 PM